Jump to topic:

How I Would Transform DDO

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 5:51:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love DDO the way it is. But there is certainly one thing I can think of which I think would fundamentally change the way we use the site for the better. I'm talking about the integration of a mass point-based incentive system.

What would this look like?

The incentive would be the ability to make forum posts. One post is a one point expenditure. New systems would be put in place to gauge the quality of debates and the fairness of votes, including the ability (perhaps mandatory when voting on debates) to discern the fairness of other people's votes. Points would be awarded according to the amount and degree of quality of debates and votes. The President could even be given the ability to reward or penalize a person's point count in special instances.

Additionally, "badges" on people's profiles and under avatars in the forum to denote special achievements or positions could be implemented. Including "Top Debater", "Top Voter", "President", "Vice-President", "Juggle Staff" and so forth.

If this plan were implemented, I think it would greatly improve the intellectual appearance of the site by providing a more solid social incentive system.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 6:06:42 AM
well, thats just like idebate.org, but don't join them, its a life contract, and the family here is better. Actually, the family here is existent. I like your idea, and we could also have a system of prestige or reputation that comes from other peoples opinion of you and/or your conduct and performance during the debates and forums. That way, we could make people like imabench choose between trolling and eternal glory. Tough choice hey?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:28:08 AM
I think this system would....

Discourage honesty-People might stop being honest if a large group forms. The risk of offending an ideology may become hazards to your ability to use this site.

Make clique's even more prevalent- Imagine this system while the an-caps were dominate here. 20-30 members could become 40-50 if points are on the line.

Be way to easy to manipulate- A savvy minded individual could control the new economy much like it was before public voting. All private voting did was turn a point on a debate into currency. I think points would do the same thing. Unless a new member had a lot of points credited to him/her. If not they would either be forced to suck up quick or join a clique.

No imagine a 30+ group. There would be a lot of incentive to be friends with group, they would basically control a large portion of the economy. And eventually it could be possible to monopolize the entire thing.

Just my opinion.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 2:45:14 PM
At 10/17/2012 8:28:08 AM, jharry wrote:
I think this system would....

Discourage honesty-People might stop being honest if a large group forms. The risk of offending an ideology may become hazards to your ability to use this site.

Make clique's even more prevalent- Imagine this system while the an-caps were dominate here. 20-30 members could become 40-50 if points are on the line.

Be way to easy to manipulate- A savvy minded individual could control the new economy much like it was before public voting. All private voting did was turn a point on a debate into currency. I think points would do the same thing. Unless a new member had a lot of points credited to him/her. If not they would either be forced to suck up quick or join a clique.

No imagine a 30+ group. There would be a lot of incentive to be friends with group, they would basically control a large portion of the economy. And eventually it could be possible to monopolize the entire thing.

Just my opinion.

Firstly, this is why I've always supported the expansion of the site. With the influx of new members, the site will do nothing but become less ideological.

Secondly, this is why it's important to also have administrational review to promote accountability and discourage carteling. DDO has always done well with weeding out these problems and the further development of our organization will continue to perfect our methods.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SObszanski
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 2:48:46 PM
At 10/17/2012 5:51:32 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I love DDO the way it is. But there is certainly one thing I can think of which I think would fundamentally change the way we use the site for the better. I'm talking about the integration of a mass point-based incentive system.

What would this look like?

The incentive would be the ability to make forum posts. One post is a one point expenditure. New systems would be put in place to gauge the quality of debates and the fairness of votes, including the ability (perhaps mandatory when voting on debates) to discern the fairness of other people's votes. Points would be awarded according to the amount and degree of quality of debates and votes. The President could even be given the ability to reward or penalize a person's point count in special instances.

Additionally, "badges" on people's profiles and under avatars in the forum to denote special achievements or positions could be implemented. Including "Top Debater", "Top Voter", "President", "Vice-President", "Juggle Staff" and so forth.

If this plan were implemented, I think it would greatly improve the intellectual appearance of the site by providing a more solid social incentive system.

You read our minds, Freedo! We've already been brainstorming on this. Thanks for the great ideas! We'll keep you updated when we make some progress.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 3:13:09 PM
At 10/17/2012 2:48:46 PM, SObszanski wrote:
You read our minds, Freedo! We've already been brainstorming on this. Thanks for the great ideas! We'll keep you updated when we make some progress.

Thank you. Glad to hear.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 10:02:52 PM
This is extremely trivial and pointless.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 10:31:52 PM
Freeratio.org (the other place I hang out) has something like this. It makes me a better person. When I see a good post, I click on the feedback button to give positive feedback. It hardly takes a moment; I don't have to compose an elegy; and it doesn't clutter up the thread with posts like, "Oh, good one." But it does let you act on your impulse to be nice to people.

I'm pleased when I find that I'm complimenting someone I usually disagree with.

You can include messages, "Hey, I never thought of that," or "Well said," though I'm usually too lazy. You can also give people negative feedback, though I don't encourage that.

It isn't just about debates. You can give someone a pat on the back for posts in the forums too.

At freeratio.org, the votes are weighted. If you have a lot of posts, if you've been a member for a long time, and if lots of people have given you positive feedback on your posts, then your complements will weigh more. I'm not for or against that, just mentioning the possibility.

If somebody has been complemented a lot, there is visual feedback at the bottom of his posts, a pile of diamonds, or something to indicate that he's someone whose posts are often judged to be good.

If you don't like the system, you can turn it off. The pile of coal at the bottom of your posts won't show up.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:07:40 AM
At 10/17/2012 10:31:52 PM, wiploc wrote:
Freeratio.org (the other place I hang out) has something like this. It makes me a better person. When I see a good post, I click on the feedback button to give positive feedback. It hardly takes a moment; I don't have to compose an elegy; and it doesn't clutter up the thread with posts like, "Oh, good one." But it does let you act on your impulse to be nice to people.

I'm pleased when I find that I'm complimenting someone I usually disagree with.

You can include messages, "Hey, I never thought of that," or "Well said," though I'm usually too lazy. You can also give people negative feedback, though I don't encourage that.

It isn't just about debates. You can give someone a pat on the back for posts in the forums too.

At freeratio.org, the votes are weighted. If you have a lot of posts, if you've been a member for a long time, and if lots of people have given you positive feedback on your posts, then your complements will weigh more. I'm not for or against that, just mentioning the possibility.

If somebody has been complemented a lot, there is visual feedback at the bottom of his posts, a pile of diamonds, or something to indicate that he's someone whose posts are often judged to be good.

If you don't like the system, you can turn it off. The pile of coal at the bottom of your posts won't show up.

I have no problem with this. I've seen many posts that I liked by members with opposing ideology. A well respected atheist member still carries a quote of mine in his sig, he simply liked something I said.

But I would be very wary of making this system into a currency. If it stays as wiploc described I would not mind.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen