Total Posts:200|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Candidate Announcement

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be eclectic in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivalslb platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

-Subforums for mafia games to better organize DP threads or to allow to group threads.

- username-anonymity for mafia threads (optional).

Changes for admins site-wise/debate-wise

-Ability to give an RFD a thumbs up or a thumbs down sort of like facebook where users can see who liked and who disliked an RFD. Debaters cannot give thumbs up or thumbs down.

-ability for the creator of a PM to add/remove players from it at any time.

-Aesthetic Touch - Remove the "My" from the left-hand account menu so it would read:
Debates
Favorites
Friends
Messages
Photos
Edit Profile
View Profile
Settings

(the above I think should be secondary to re-installing the sidebar menu)

-RFD report-ability

- redesign of the banner for holidays (contest among users)

- ability to pick a timezone and display it so users can see what time it is where you are and have this be independent of the users profile location

-Get a link to the fans site and wiki on this site

Stuff we can do


-Appoint RoyLatham as the Bug Committee leader and organize monthly bug reports for the moderators

- Organize a monthly forum for members to brainstorm new additions to the site

-Get more people active in the wiki and make it a sitewide wiki not just mafia like before

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Other ideas worth adopting:


-Increased character options for debates.

-that there should be very few stickied threads, and the mods should remove topics that aren't being used anymore, or are basically no longer relevant. (the current mods have gone sticky crazy)

-that mod-discretion banning be reserved only for non-controversial cases, others being allowed to go through the trial process
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 12:28:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Spinko 2012
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 12:32:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be eclectic in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivalslb platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

-Subforums for mafia games to better organize DP threads or to allow to group threads.

- username-anonymity for mafia threads (optional).

Changes for admins site-wise/debate-wise

-Ability to give an RFD a thumbs up or a thumbs down sort of like facebook where users can see who liked and who disliked an RFD. Debaters cannot give thumbs up or thumbs down.

-ability for the creator of a PM to add/remove players from it at any time.

-Aesthetic Touch - Remove the "My" from the left-hand account menu so it would read:
Debates
Favorites
Friends
Messages
Photos
Edit Profile
View Profile
Settings

(the above I think should be secondary to re-installing the sidebar menu)

-RFD report-ability

- redesign of the banner for holidays (contest among users)

- ability to pick a timezone and display it so users can see what time it is where you are and have this be independent of the users profile location

-Get a link to the fans site and wiki on this site

Stuff we can do


-Appoint RoyLatham as the Bug Committee leader and organize monthly bug reports for the moderators

- Organize a monthly forum for members to brainstorm new additions to the site

-Get more people active in the wiki and make it a sitewide wiki not just mafia like before

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Other ideas worth adopting:


-Increased character options for debates.

-that there should be very few stickied threads, and the mods should remove topics that aren't being used anymore, or are basically no longer relevant. (the current mods have gone sticky crazy)

-that mod-discretion banning be reserved only for non-controversial cases, others being allowed to go through the trial process

I like it.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:17:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:15:27 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Isn't Juggle already listening to many of these requests? How would you be able to do a superior job to Airmax currently?

To be fair, the prez doesn't really do anything other than moderating and being an ambassador.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:28:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:17:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:15:27 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Isn't Juggle already listening to many of these requests? How would you be able to do a superior job to Airmax currently?

To be fair, <CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED><CENSORED>
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:17:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:15:27 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Isn't Juggle already listening to many of these requests? How would you be able to do a superior job to Airmax currently?

To be fair, the prez doesn't really do anything other than moderating and being an ambassador.

Again, mod does not come with the President.

And the president represents the community. Juggle will most likely contact the prez when elected. Just imagine in inferno was elected and gets that pm from juggle. Or if everyone treats this like a game and elects composer or some other like him. I would think juggle will lose a respect for the position.

Right after Cody was elected juggle basically vanished. I personally think it's because Cody endorsed askbobs return and juggle had a poop storm to deal with because of it.

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:32:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:15:27 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Isn't Juggle already listening to many of these requests? How would you be able to do a superior job to Airmax currently?

Airmax has done a fine job. However he lacks an effective platform for transferring site needs to his position as ambassador. His (as well as innomen's) campaign simply ran on his personality and why he thinks *he* would be a good ambassador. However, he hasn't brought an actual plan on *what* to change, save a few minor points which people like Medic and myself had also brought as major platform points. I think the new site changes are due to Juggle's renewed interest, not anything specific to the current President.

I think that I am better qualified to actually relate site needs to Juggle as well as to come up with effective solutions which we as a community can muster (without the need for admin changes to the site). The reasoning is two-fold. First, the nature of my campaign is platform-based (as opposed to wholly character based like Airmax's), meaning I come with an actual plan for what to change, meaning I'd be more effective at creating actual site solutions. Second, I'm much more experienced when it comes to the actual site and the aspects ripe for change. I've debated more than most members, I've been active in mafia for over a year, I've organized and participated in more tourneys than anyone, I've helped to organize a major and comprehensive platform for site wide change, etc.

Airmax has functioned only as a middle man between what members say they want and Juggle's representatives. However, I actually understand intimately what is needed and have a plan to effect change.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:35:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:32:24 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:15:27 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Isn't Juggle already listening to many of these requests? How would you be able to do a superior job to Airmax currently?

Airmax has done a fine job. However he lacks an effective platform for transferring site needs to his position as ambassador. His (as well as innomen's) campaign simply ran on his personality and why he thinks *he* would be a good ambassador. However, he hasn't brought an actual plan on *what* to change, save a few minor points which people like Medic and myself had also brought as major platform points. I think the new site changes are due to Juggle's renewed interest, not anything specific to the current President.

I think that I am better qualified to actually relate site needs to Juggle as well as to come up with effective solutions which we as a community can muster (without the need for admin changes to the site). The reasoning is two-fold. First, the nature of my campaign is platform-based (as opposed to wholly character based like Airmax's), meaning I come with an actual plan for what to change, meaning I'd be more effective at creating actual site solutions. Second, I'm much more experienced when it comes to the actual site and the aspects ripe for change. I've debated more than most members, I've been active in mafia for over a year, I've organized and participated in more tourneys than anyone, I've helped to organize a major and comprehensive platform for site wide change, etc.

Airmax has functioned only as a middle man between what members say they want and Juggle's representatives. However, I actually understand intimately what is needed and have a plan to effect change.

u sound lik u got plan

i vot 4 u
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:46:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.

Social, I really like you and I hate to do this but the simple fact is you bailed on DDO when we needed you most. At a time when we needed members to contribute you laterally left everyone hanging. How do I know you won't do that if the day after the election juggle stops working with us?

Not only that but you were part of the group that protested askbobs leaving and left for the sole plan to "sink DDO". That is a pretty malice effort against a site you now want to represent now that members like innomen and airmax stayed and toughed out the hard times, built a relationship with juggle that you now want to prosper from and helped shape what DDO is today.

I'm sorry, but I can not personally vote for you.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:47:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be electric in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivals platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

what exactly would be the point of an optional curse filter?

- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

because typing "nac" is just so bothersome.....

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

Unjust bannings? really? Only like 4 people get permanent banned in a month and they are usually idiots who spam or plagiarize, anybody else who gets banned are usually temp bans that everyone knows about and agrees to, where is this transparency problem?

-Subforums for mafia games to better organize DP threads or to allow to group threads.

I dont know enough about how mafia works to give an opinion on this one

- username-anonymity for mafia threads (optional).

Same as above

Changes for admins site-wise/debate-wise

-Ability to give an RFD a thumbs up or a thumbs down sort of like facebook where users can see who liked and who disliked an RFD. Debaters cannot give thumbs up or thumbs down.

Idea has already been brought to the attention of Juggle.

-ability for the creator of a PM to add/remove players from it at any time.

First useful idea so far.

-Aesthetic Touch - Remove the "My" from the left-hand account menu so it would read:
Debates
Favorites
Friends
Messages
Photos
Edit Profile
View Profile
Settings

(the above I think should be secondary to re-installing the sidebar menu)

A lot of other people already have mentioned to Juggle to bring back the sidebar, its on their list.

-RFD report-ability

We have a thread for that its called "post votebombed debates here"

- redesign of the banner for holidays (contest among users)

People didnt respond well to the last time DDO redesigned the banner but if they like the idea then maybe.

- ability to pick a timezone and display it so users can see what time it is where you are and have this be independent of the users profile location

Second original idea so far.

-Get a link to the fans site and wiki on this site

Third original idea youve had so far.

Stuff we can do


-Appoint RoyLatham as the Bug Committee leader and organize monthly bug reports for the moderators

We have a sticky for that called "Official DDO bug reporting" that handles the job pretty well
http://www.debate.org...

- Organize a monthly forum for members to brainstorm new additions to the site

People brainstorm ideas at least once a week every time one of Juggle's employees creates a thread showing the progress of upcoming updates. Hell sometimes people create threads just to pitch their ideas and dont have to wait around for a month to give their thoughts.

-Get more people active in the wiki and make it a sitewide wiki not just mafia like before

You already mentioned the wiki

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Because when I think of intelligent people willing to debate others rationally, I think of facebook and myspace.......

Other ideas worth adopting:


-Increased character options for debates.

Already been discussed and is most likely somewhere on Juggle's list for updates.

-that there should be very few stickied threads, and the mods should remove topics that aren't being used anymore, or are basically no longer relevant. (the current mods have gone sticky crazy)

Most of the stickies involve reporting bugs and helping new members get affiliated with the site and any issues they may have. Basically the stickies that the mods have gone 'crazy' with take care of 85% of your platform.

-that mod-discretion banning be reserved only for non-controversial cases, others being allowed to go through the trial process

basically what we have now
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:52:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.


So your argument is that you are better then Airmax in handling the position of the presidency, the position Airmax has held for the last few months who was basically coached by innomen himself into understanding the presidency, just because you THINK you possess a better level of expertise in relation to it....

Not buying it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:53:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:47:55 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be electric in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivals platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

what exactly would be the point of an optional curse filter?

- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

because typing "nac" is just so bothersome.....

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

Unjust bannings? really? Only like 4 people get permanent banned in a month and they are usually idiots who spam or plagiarize, anybody else who gets banned are usually temp bans that everyone knows about and agrees to, where is this transparency problem?

-Subforums for mafia games to better organize DP threads or to allow to group threads.

I dont know enough about how mafia works to give an opinion on this one

This has been brought up and medic works closely with airmax and juggle to focus on mafia issues.

- username-anonymity for mafia threads (optional).

Same as above

Changes for admins site-wise/debate-wise

-Ability to give an RFD a thumbs up or a thumbs down sort of like facebook where users can see who liked and who disliked an RFD. Debaters cannot give thumbs up or thumbs down.

Idea has already been brought to the attention of Juggle.

-ability for the creator of a PM to add/remove players from it at any time.

First useful idea so far.

-Aesthetic Touch - Remove the "My" from the left-hand account menu so it would read:
Debates
Favorites
Friends
Messages
Photos
Edit Profile
View Profile
Settings

(the above I think should be secondary to re-installing the sidebar menu)

A lot of other people already have mentioned to Juggle to bring back the sidebar, its on their list.

-RFD report-ability

We have a thread for that its called "post votebombed debates here"

- redesign of the banner for holidays (contest among users)

People didnt respond well to the last time DDO redesigned the banner but if they like the idea then maybe.

- ability to pick a timezone and display it so users can see what time it is where you are and have this be independent of the users profile location

Second original idea so far.

-Get a link to the fans site and wiki on this site

Third original idea youve had so far.

Stuff we can do


-Appoint RoyLatham as the Bug Committee leader and organize monthly bug reports for the moderators

We have a sticky for that called "Official DDO bug reporting" that handles the job pretty well
http://www.debate.org...

- Organize a monthly forum for members to brainstorm new additions to the site

People brainstorm ideas at least once a week every time one of Juggle's employees creates a thread showing the progress of upcoming updates. Hell sometimes people create threads just to pitch their ideas and dont have to wait around for a month to give their thoughts.

-Get more people active in the wiki and make it a sitewide wiki not just mafia like before

You already mentioned the wiki

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Because when I think of intelligent people willing to debate others rationally, I think of facebook and myspace.......

Other ideas worth adopting:


-Increased character options for debates.

Already been discussed and is most likely somewhere on Juggle's list for updates.

-that there should be very few stickied threads, and the mods should remove topics that aren't being used anymore, or are basically no longer relevant. (the current mods have gone sticky crazy)

Most of the stickies involve reporting bugs and helping new members get affiliated with the site and any issues they may have. Basically the stickies that the mods have gone 'crazy' with take care of 85% of your platform.

-that mod-discretion banning be reserved only for non-controversial cases, others being allowed to go through the trial process

basically what we have now

And we have a prez that had always been faithful to DDO and already has a very stable relationship with juggle.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:55:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:47:55 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be electric in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivals platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

what exactly would be the point of an optional curse filter?
So schools and such can (if they choose) censor cursing...
- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

because typing "nac" is just so bothersome.....
It's a simple change.

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

Unjust bannings? really? Only like 4 people get permanent banned in a month and they are usually idiots who spam or plagiarize, anybody else who gets banned are usually temp bans that everyone knows about and agrees to, where is this transparency problem?
It's ensuring transparency for the future.

-Subforums for mafia games to better organize DP threads or to allow to group threads.

I dont know enough about how mafia works to give an opinion on this one

- username-anonymity for mafia threads (optional).

Same as above

Changes for admins site-wise/debate-wise

-Ability to give an RFD a thumbs up or a thumbs down sort of like facebook where users can see who liked and who disliked an RFD. Debaters cannot give thumbs up or thumbs down.

Idea has already been brought to the attention of Juggle.

-ability for the creator of a PM to add/remove players from it at any time.

First useful idea so far.

-Aesthetic Touch - Remove the "My" from the left-hand account menu so it would read:
Debates
Favorites
Friends
Messages
Photos
Edit Profile
View Profile
Settings

(the above I think should be secondary to re-installing the sidebar menu)

A lot of other people already have mentioned to Juggle to bring back the sidebar, its on their list.

-RFD report-ability

We have a thread for that its called "post votebombed debates here"
And it is a completely cluttered and unorganised place.

- redesign of the banner for holidays (contest among users)

People didnt respond well to the last time DDO redesigned the banner but if they like the idea then maybe.
I would opt for choice.

- ability to pick a timezone and display it so users can see what time it is where you are and have this be independent of the users profile location

Second original idea so far.

-Get a link to the fans site and wiki on this site

Third original idea youve had so far.

Stuff we can do


-Appoint RoyLatham as the Bug Committee leader and organize monthly bug reports for the moderators

We have a sticky for that called "Official DDO bug reporting" that handles the job pretty well
http://www.debate.org...
Not consise and in-depth enough.

- Organize a monthly forum for members to brainstorm new additions to the site

People brainstorm ideas at least once a week every time one of Juggle's employees creates a thread showing the progress of upcoming updates. Hell sometimes people create threads just to pitch their ideas and dont have to wait around for a month to give their thoughts.
Not official though.

-Get more people active in the wiki and make it a sitewide wiki not just mafia like before

You already mentioned the wiki

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Because when I think of intelligent people willing to debate others rationally, I think of facebook and myspace.......
Well, 1billion people are on Facebook. It's not like there is a better "pool" to draw from. People are more likely to be on Facebook than anywhere else on the Net.

Other ideas worth adopting:


-Increased character options for debates.

Already been discussed and is most likely somewhere on Juggle's list for updates.

-that there should be very few stickied threads, and the mods should remove topics that aren't being used anymore, or are basically no longer relevant. (the current mods have gone sticky crazy)

Most of the stickies involve reporting bugs and helping new members get affiliated with the site and any issues they may have. Basically the stickies that the mods have gone 'crazy' with take care of 85% of your platform.
They need to be combined.
-that mod-discretion banning be reserved only for non-controversial cases, others being allowed to go through the trial process

basically what we have now

Except trials are not officially recognised as far as I can tell.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:55:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.


So your argument is that you are better then Airmax in handling the position of the presidency, the position Airmax has held for the last few months who was basically coached by innomen himself into understanding the presidency, just because you THINK you possess a better level of expertise in relation to it....

Not buying it

Lolmonarchy.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:56:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:46:15 PM, jharry wrote:

Social, I really like you and I hate to do this but the simple fact is you bailed on DDO when we needed you most. At a time when we needed members to contribute you laterally left everyone hanging. How do I know you won't do that if the day after the election juggle stops working with us?

The longest I've ever not been on the site since I joined was a month or two. I left shortly during the AnCap exodus for complicated reasons, among them specifically Juggle's lack of involvement on the site. My position as President would allow for me to direct their new found involvement to positive ends. You think it's a possibility I could leave the site, however, you ignore the reason I left. I left because there was no admin involvement, there was no moderation, and Juggle attacked the one person who tried to make up for this. Now that we have Juggle's attention, there's no reason for me to leave again and I have no intention of doing so.

Not only that but you were part of the group that protested askbobs leaving and left for the sole plan to "sink DDO". That is a pretty malice effort against a site you now want to represent now that members like innomen and airmax stayed and toughed out the hard times, built a relationship with juggle that you now want to prosper from and helped shape what DDO is today.

I didn't plan to sink DDO. If I recall, only Sieben and perhaps askbob wanted to but my reasons for leaving (along with most who left at that point) was the utter lack of involvement on behalf of the site by its owners, juxtaposed with the seeming over reaction by Juggle against a user making up for their uninvolvement. I don't plan on arguing for Askbob's reinstatement (Innomen informed me Juggle would never do so), nor do I want to stay focused on the problems with Juggle's involvement in the past. The point is, they're involved now, and a liason who intimately understands the problems affecting the site as opposed to someone who simply related complaints is necessary.

I'm sorry, but I can not personally vote for you.

That's certainly your choice, though I think your reasoning is mis-guided.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:59:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.


So your argument is that you are better then Airmax in handling the position of the presidency,

I think given the fact that I'm running on a specified plan on what needs to change along with the fact that I've been much more involved in the site (meaning I personally understand the problems affecting the site, I wouldn't be a middle man) than he lends credence to this.

the position Airmax has held for the last few months who was basically coached by innomen himself into understanding the presidency,

I understand he had Innomen's help, however I don't see Innomen as the end all of support.

just because you THINK you possess a better level of expertise in relation to it....

Not buying it
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:04:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:56:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:46:15 PM, jharry wrote:

Social, I really like you and I hate to do this but the simple fact is you bailed on DDO when we needed you most. At a time when we needed members to contribute you laterally left everyone hanging. How do I know you won't do that if the day after the election juggle stops working with us?

The longest I've ever not been on the site since I joined was a month or two. I left shortly during the AnCap exodus for complicated reasons, among them specifically Juggle's lack of involvement on the site. My position as President would allow for me to direct their new found involvement to positive ends. You think it's a possibility I could leave the site, however, you ignore the reason I left. I left because there was no admin involvement, there was no moderation, and Juggle attacked the one person who tried to make up for this. Now that we have Juggle's attention, there's no reason for me to leave again and I have no intention of doing so.

Yes, now that innomen and airmax didn't give up, no excuses.

Not only that but you were part of the group that protested askbobs leaving and left for the sole plan to "sink DDO". That is a pretty malice effort against a site you now want to represent now that members like innomen and airmax stayed and toughed out the hard times, built a relationship with juggle that you now want to prosper from and helped shape what DDO is today.

I didn't plan to sink DDO. If I recall, only Sieben and perhaps askbob wanted to but my reasons for leaving (along with most who left at that point) was the utter lack of involvement on behalf of the site by its owners, juxtaposed with the seeming over reaction by Juggle against a user making up for their uninvolvement. I don't plan on arguing for Askbob's reinstatement (Innomen informed me Juggle would never do so), nor do I want to stay focused on the problems with Juggle's involvement in the past. The point is, they're involved now, and a liason who intimately understands the problems affecting the site as opposed to someone who simply related complaints is necessary.

The sinking of DDO was the groups intention. And you admit to knowing at least some of the group planned on destroying DDO and you left anyway.

So you know better then the members? You keep saying airmax is just a messenger boy. Do plan on making changes without consulting this community?

I'm sorry, but I can not personally vote for you.

That's certainly your choice, though I think your reasoning is mis-guided.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:05:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:55:12 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:47:55 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be electric in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivals platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

what exactly would be the point of an optional curse filter?

So schools and such can (if they choose) censor cursing...

When the hell have schools come on DDO?

- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

because typing "nac" is just so bothersome.....

It's a simple change.

typing in nac or anything else is even simpler.

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

Unjust bannings? really? Only like 4 people get permanent banned in a month and they are usually idiots who spam or plagiarize, anybody else who gets banned are usually temp bans that everyone knows about and agrees to, where is this transparency problem?

It's ensuring transparency for the future.

Bossy there has been an unreal level of transparency when it comes to bannings and there isnt going to be some tyranical regime in the future that would eliminate all transparency.

We have a thread for that its called "post votebombed debates here"

And it is a completely cluttered and unorganised place.

Would you prefer there be that many more stickies? Its just more streamlined and it works fine for anyone who needs it.

- redesign of the banner for holidays (contest among users)

People didnt respond well to the last time DDO redesigned the banner but if they like the idea then maybe.

I would opt for choice.

people = more than just you

We have a sticky for that called "Official DDO bug reporting" that handles the job pretty well
http://www.debate.org...

Not consise and in-depth enough.

Youre making a big deal out of nothing.....

- Organize a monthly forum for members to brainstorm new additions to the site

People brainstorm ideas at least once a week every time one of Juggle's employees creates a thread showing the progress of upcoming updates. Hell sometimes people create threads just to pitch their ideas and dont have to wait around for a month to give their thoughts.

Not official though.

Who gives a sh*t if its official or not? Juggle still gets all of our ideas whether they be in official threads or not, why eliminate non official threads to pitch ideas?

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Because when I think of intelligent people willing to debate others rationally, I think of facebook and myspace.......

Well, 1billion people are on Facebook. It's not like there is a better "pool" to draw from.

Ted.com and other debate websites would be instantly better and provide us with more credible debaters. I would much rather take 2 decent debaters from a single website rather than 500 retarded facebook trolls.

People are more likely to be on Facebook than anywhere else on the Net.

Well stupid people do spend a lot of time on facebook so that doesnt surprise me.

Most of the stickies involve reporting bugs and helping new members get affiliated with the site and any issues they may have. Basically the stickies that the mods have gone 'crazy' with take care of 85% of your platform.

They need to be combined.

You were just complaining that the voting thread was too cluttered now youre fine with combining them? Make up your mind.

-that mod-discretion banning be reserved only for non-controversial cases, others being allowed to go through the trial process

basically what we have now

Except trials are not officially recognised as far as I can tell.

Do you even remember the last trial that DDO had that wasnt the troll trial of myself?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:06:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:59:19 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.


So your argument is that you are better then Airmax in handling the position of the presidency,

I think given the fact that I'm running on a specified plan on what needs to change along with the fact that I've been much more involved in the site (meaning I personally understand the problems affecting the site, I wouldn't be a middle man) than he lends credence to this.

Again, do you plan on making changes without the support of the community because you know what we need better then us?

the position Airmax has held for the last few months who was basically coached by innomen himself into understanding the presidency,

I understand he had Innomen's help, however I don't see Innomen as the end all of support.

just because you THINK you possess a better level of expertise in relation to it....

Not buying it
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:09:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:59:19 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.


So your argument is that you are better then Airmax in handling the position of the presidency,

I think given the fact that I'm running on a specified plan on what needs to change along with the fact that I've been much more involved in the site (meaning I personally understand the problems affecting the site, I wouldn't be a middle man) than he lends credence to this.

When Innomen ran for re-election he didnt have much of a platform either, you were also in that election and you did have a platform. Innomen won in a landslide and things have been turning around for DDO ever since.

You dont need to have a monsterous platform that is 95% other people's ideas like yours to try to claim you are more serious about the presidency then Airmax, let alone that you are better prepared to handle it either.

the position Airmax has held for the last few months who was basically coached by innomen himself into understanding the presidency,

I understand he had Innomen's help, however I don't see Innomen as the end all of support.

He was trained by the best and he has handled the position spectacularly, so your idea that you could handle the position better based ONLY on the fatc that you tHINK you can handle it better doesnt hold water.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:11:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 2:47:55 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be electric in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivals platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

what exactly would be the point of an optional curse filter?

I don't think a blanket filter against cursing is tenable for the site. However I also realize that a blanket allowance of cursing anywhere and anytime is equally untenable i.e., in the cases of computers with child filters, people accessing the site from school, or people who just don't want to see the f-word. I think making it optional (wherein people have the option of either seeing curse words or having them filtered out, perhaps with asterisks) avoids the problems of both extremes.

- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

because typing "nac" is just so bothersome.....

I see it as unnecessary.

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

Unjust bannings? really? Only like 4 people get permanent banned in a month and they are usually idiots who spam or plagiarize, anybody else who gets banned are usually temp bans that everyone knows about and agrees to, where is this transparency problem?

I don't think there's a transparency problem just that it could be more so, I think a reporting page would help in facciliating a more community oriented approach to the problem of trolls and banning. Furthermore a page for every single banned member would obviously be untenable, the page would idealistically only cover major trolls, multi-accounts, etc.

Changes for admins site-wise/debate-wise

-Ability to give an RFD a thumbs up or a thumbs down sort of like facebook where users can see who liked and who disliked an RFD. Debaters cannot give thumbs up or thumbs down.

-RFD report-ability

We have a thread for that its called "post votebombed debates here"

Counter votebombing is untenable given the inherent controversiality in it. This function would be in conjunction with mod ability to remove votes.

Stuff we can do


-Appoint RoyLatham as the Bug Committee leader and organize monthly bug reports for the moderators

We have a sticky for that called "Official DDO bug reporting" that handles the job pretty well
http://www.debate.org...

A bug committee would be better suited to pointing out and coming up with solutions to bugs found (especially someone like Roy) as opposed to people simply posting stuff they find. I wouldn't be opposed to the sticky itself, I just think someone actually tasked with looking into them as well would do good.

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Because when I think of intelligent people willing to debate others rationally, I think of facebook and myspace.......

This doesn't mean just making a DDO account and recruiting random people, rather going to specific niches on the sites where rational people tend to be i.e., academic discussion groups, etc.

-that there should be very few stickied threads, and the mods should remove topics that aren't being used anymore, or are basically no longer relevant. (the current mods have gone sticky crazy)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:18:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 3:11:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:47:55 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 11:40:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I have decided to run in the next election for DDO president with Koopin as my VP pick. The platform we plan to run on will be electric in nature meaning not just made up of the Rivals platform, but including worthwhile ideas from others.

Changes for the admins forum-wise

-Optional Curse Filter

what exactly would be the point of an optional curse filter?

I don't think a blanket filter against cursing is tenable for the site. However I also realize that a blanket allowance of cursing anywhere and anytime is equally untenable i.e., in the cases of computers with child filters, people accessing the site from school, or people who just don't want to see the f-word. I think making it optional (wherein people have the option of either seeing curse words or having them filtered out, perhaps with asterisks) avoids the problems of both extremes.

So then what your proposing is basically an option for people to see curse words or not?

- Removal of the NOT ALL CAPS filter

because typing "nac" is just so bothersome.....

I see it as unnecessary.

would you prefer kfc?

- Work with the mods to create a reporting page whereby all members can review who was banned and the reasons for their banning. Allowing complete transparency within the administration.

Unjust bannings? really? Only like 4 people get permanent banned in a month and they are usually idiots who spam or plagiarize, anybody else who gets banned are usually temp bans that everyone knows about and agrees to, where is this transparency problem?

I don't think there's a transparency problem just that it could be more so

So its not a problem but your going to make it into a problem just so that you can campaign on a problem that isnt a problem except to you?

I think a reporting page would help in facciliating a more community oriented approach to the problem of trolls and banning. Furthermore a page for every single banned member would obviously be untenable, the page would idealistically only cover major trolls, multi-accounts, etc.

So this non issue your making an issue out of will only be used when dealing with major problems that in the past have been transparent for everyone to see.....

Changes for admins site-wise/debate-wise

-Ability to give an RFD a thumbs up or a thumbs down sort of like facebook where users can see who liked and who disliked an RFD. Debaters cannot give thumbs up or thumbs down.

-RFD report-ability

We have a thread for that its called "post votebombed debates here"

Counter votebombing is untenable given the inherent controversiality in it. This function would be in conjunction with mod ability to remove votes.

Why force mods to remove votes when people can simply counter them? Mods have enough to handle already we dont need to give them more sh*t to handle that is already being successfully handled by everyone else.

Stuff we can do


-Appoint RoyLatham as the Bug Committee leader and organize monthly bug reports for the moderators

We have a sticky for that called "Official DDO bug reporting" that handles the job pretty well
http://www.debate.org...

A bug committee would be better suited to pointing out and coming up with solutions to bugs found (especially someone like Roy) as opposed to people simply posting stuff they find.

Your just adding a middle man though that isnt necessary to the process. When people report bugs on the sticky, Juggle looks into it. In this proposal your adding a committee to do the exact same thing but take longer to do it which in my opinion doesnt make it better suited to handling the problem.

I wouldn't be opposed to the sticky itself, I just think someone actually tasked with looking into them as well would do good.

- A formal social media attack plan aimed at recruiting more members. Facebook, myspace, inviting friends sending out messages, posting example debates, a twitter account, increased web presence.

Because when I think of intelligent people willing to debate others rationally, I think of facebook and myspace.......

This doesn't mean just making a DDO account and recruiting random people, rather going to specific niches on the sites where rational people tend to be i.e., academic discussion groups, etc.

Do we really need a presidential platform attack strategy to do that?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:18:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 3:04:30 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:56:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:

The longest I've ever not been on the site since I joined was a month or two. I left shortly during the AnCap exodus for complicated reasons, among them specifically Juggle's lack of involvement on the site. My position as President would allow for me to direct their new found involvement to positive ends. You think it's a possibility I could leave the site, however, you ignore the reason I left. I left because there was no admin involvement, there was no moderation, and Juggle attacked the one person who tried to make up for this. Now that we have Juggle's attention, there's no reason for me to leave again and I have no intention of doing so.

Yes, now that innomen and airmax didn't give up, no excuses.

That's not at all the reason. I left briefly (for less than two months) a year ago because the site had no administrative attention. It wasn't until Innomen was elected that Juggle began to come back. And none of this has to do with Airmax's presidency. So unless I'm running against Innomen, it's highly irrelevant.

Not only that but you were part of the group that protested askbobs leaving and left for the sole plan to "sink DDO". That is a pretty malice effort against a site you now want to represent now that members like innomen and airmax stayed and toughed out the hard times, built a relationship with juggle that you now want to prosper from and helped shape what DDO is today.

I didn't plan to sink DDO. If I recall, only Sieben and perhaps askbob wanted to but my reasons for leaving (along with most who left at that point) was the utter lack of involvement on behalf of the site by its owners, juxtaposed with the seeming over reaction by Juggle against a user making up for their uninvolvement. I don't plan on arguing for Askbob's reinstatement (Innomen informed me Juggle would never do so), nor do I want to stay focused on the problems with Juggle's involvement in the past. The point is, they're involved now, and a liason who intimately understands the problems affecting the site as opposed to someone who simply related complaints is necessary.

The sinking of DDO was the groups intention. And you admit to knowing at least some of the group planned on destroying DDO and you left anyway.

It wasn't the groups intention, it was one or two members of the group. The rest of us were fed up with the lack of site moderation and left. And there was no destroying DDO furthermore. About ten members left, five of which are back. That doesn't constitute destroying anything.

So you know better then the members? You keep saying airmax is just a messenger boy. Do plan on making changes without consulting this community?

I didn't say he was a "messenger boy". Given the option of a liason with independent and intimate experience with the problems affecting the site and a liason with little experience in that field, the former is clearly preferable. And I never said I would act without consulting the community. In fact an entire portion of my platform has to do with community involvement in affecting change. The President should himself have clear understanding of the problems he sets out to deal with, otherwise what does it matter who is elected?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:20:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 3:06:18 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:59:19 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:36:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:32:09 PM, jharry wrote:

So I think now more then ever before we should really think about what is best for DDO. More changes have taken place in the past year then ever before. We know what has been working, why do anything to possibly mess that up?

You're mistaking correlation for causation. Juggle has been more and more involved starting with innomen i.e., a President who takes his role seriously as opposed to simply being a figure head elected from a popularity contest. Airmax is simply the next President to do this. Juggle's level of involvement seems to rely on two things, (a) a community which actively seeks change (something we clearly have) and (b) a President who is clearly serious about the position. This second condition is not unique to Airmax and I think I possess a better level of expertise in relation to it then he does.


So your argument is that you are better then Airmax in handling the position of the presidency,

I think given the fact that I'm running on a specified plan on what needs to change along with the fact that I've been much more involved in the site (meaning I personally understand the problems affecting the site, I wouldn't be a middle man) than he lends credence to this.

Again, do you plan on making changes without the support of the community because you know what we need better then us?

Did I ever say I would?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:24:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 3:09:57 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:59:19 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I think given the fact that I'm running on a specified plan on what needs to change along with the fact that I've been much more involved in the site (meaning I personally understand the problems affecting the site, I wouldn't be a middle man) than he lends credence to this.

When Innomen ran for re-election he didnt have much of a platform either, you were also in that election and you did have a platform. Innomen won in a landslide and things have been turning around for DDO ever since.

Okay? Innomen won, how does that mean character oriented administration is auto-superior to an administration with emphasis on both aspects?

You dont need to have a monsterous platform that is 95% other people's ideas

You haven't been here long enough to realize but most of the ideas which you claim are other people's ideas were originally stated in the Rivalslb platform. These ideas have simply caught on, that doesn't mean they were originated by other people.

like yours to try to claim you are more serious about the presidency then Airmax, let alone that you are better prepared to handle it either.

I never made a point about seriousness. I know Airmax is serious about his position as am I.

the position Airmax has held for the last few months who was basically coached by innomen himself into understanding the presidency,

I understand he had Innomen's help, however I don't see Innomen as the end all of support.

He was trained by the best and he has handled the position spectacularly, so your idea that you could handle the position better based ONLY on the fatc that you tHINK you can handle it better doesnt hold water.

I'm not saying I think I can do better, therefore I can do better. If you've been reading this thread, I've expressed solid reasoning why I could do a fine job as President, both by drawing on what Airmax and innomen have done, as well as by introducing my specific plans for change.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:27:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 3:18:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:

I didn't say he was a "messenger boy".

Certainly sounds like you were implying he was....

Given the option of a liason with independent and intimate experience with the problems affecting the site and a liason with little experience in that field, the former is clearly preferable.

And how are you somehow this option with independent and intimate experience while Airmax is someone of little experience. Clearly its the other way around where Airmax knows how to handle the position and has the experience to do so while youre peeking through a window telling yourself you can do better.

And I never said I would act without consulting the community.

A lot of what you want to reform involves overcomplicating things and booting the community out of the equation..... limiting proposals to change the site only to official threads cuts out a lot of the community, and thats just one issue alone.

In fact an entire portion of my platform has to do with community involvement in affecting change.

You wanted to remove the sticky for reporting bugs and create a commission run by Roy to do the exact same thing rather then just let people report what they find, how is that NOT limiting community involvement???

The President should himself have clear understanding of the problems he sets out to deal with, otherwise what does it matter who is elected?

And Airmax is someone who clearly understands the problems of DDO. Thats what people in the last election decided, thats what people in innomen's reelection before that decided when picking someone they thought understood the problems of DDO, and they rose to fame by simplifying DDO rather then overcomplicating everything and trying to butt the community out of running the site.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:29:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 3:18:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/18/2012 3:04:30 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/18/2012 2:56:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:

The longest I've ever not been on the site since I joined was a month or two. I left shortly during the AnCap exodus for complicated reasons, among them specifically Juggle's lack of involvement on the site. My position as President would allow for me to direct their new found involvement to positive ends. You think it's a possibility I could leave the site, however, you ignore the reason I left. I left because there was no admin involvement, there was no moderation, and Juggle attacked the one person who tried to make up for this. Now that we have Juggle's attention, there's no reason for me to leave again and I have no intention of doing so.

Yes, now that innomen and airmax didn't give up, no excuses.

That's not at all the reason. I left briefly (for less than two months) a year ago because the site had no administrative attention. It wasn't until Innomen was elected that Juggle began to come back. And none of this has to do with Airmax's presidency. So unless I'm running against Innomen, it's highly irrelevant.

It has everything to do with his presidency, the changes have come about under his term. The biggest change that happened under innomen was juggle making him a mod. The changes to the site have come with airmax. Innomen built the relationship we now have and airmax has brought about the changes we now see.

Where were you when DDO was hurting? You left us because you were frustrated? Do you think the prez job is not frustrating? What if juggle pulls back the mod ability and leaves again? Will you abandon us again?

Not only that but you were part of the group that protested askbobs leaving and left for the sole plan to "sink DDO". That is a pretty malice effort against a site you now want to represent now that members like innomen and airmax stayed and toughed out the hard times, built a relationship with juggle that you now want to prosper from and helped shape what DDO is today.

I didn't plan to sink DDO. If I recall, only Sieben and perhaps askbob wanted to but my reasons for leaving (along with most who left at that point) was the utter lack of involvement on behalf of the site by its owners, juxtaposed with the seeming over reaction by Juggle against a user making up for their uninvolvement. I don't plan on arguing for Askbob's reinstatement (Innomen informed me Juggle would never do so), nor do I want to stay focused on the problems with Juggle's involvement in the past. The point is, they're involved now, and a liason who intimately understands the problems affecting the site as opposed to someone who simply related complaints is necessary.

The sinking of DDO was the groups intention. And you admit to knowing at least some of the group planned on destroying DDO and you left anyway.

It wasn't the groups intention, it was one or two members of the group. The rest of us were fed up with the lack of site moderation and left. And there was no destroying DDO furthermore. About ten members left, five of which are back. That doesn't constitute destroying anything.

You are correct, the whole exodus thing was a huge failure. DDO stands strong today due to members like airmax and homestead.com bombed terribly

So you know better then the members? You keep saying airmax is just a messenger boy. Do plan on making changes without consulting this community?

I didn't say he was a "messenger boy". Given the option of a liason with independent and intimate experience with the problems affecting the site and a liason with little experience in that field, the former is clearly preferable. And I never said I would act without consulting the community. In fact an entire portion of my platform has to do with community involvement in affecting change. The President should himself have clear understanding of the problems he sets out to deal with, otherwise what does it matter who is elected?

Please explain how airmax lacks this. And if you will do nothing but what the community wants then what more will you do?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 3:31:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/18/2012 3:18:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/18/2012 3:11:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't think a blanket filter against cursing is tenable for the site. However I also realize that a blanket allowance of cursing anywhere and anytime is equally untenable i.e., in the cases of computers with child filters, people accessing the site from school, or people who just don't want to see the f-word. I think making it optional (wherein people have the option of either seeing curse words or having them filtered out, perhaps with asterisks) avoids the problems of both extremes.

So then what your proposing is basically an option for people to see curse words or not?

Basically, both the position of all out censorship of certain words as well as all out forcing anyone who accesses the site to see them are untenable. An optional curse filter is a good compromise in my opinion.

I see it as unnecessary.

would you prefer kfc?

Can you be serious please?

I don't think there's a transparency problem just that it could be more so

So its not a problem but your going to make it into a problem just so that you can campaign on a problem that isnt a problem except to you?

I din't make anything into a problem. This change would upgrade the current policy we have. Not every policy has to be in opposition to what's going on. I think certain things can be upgraded to more fit the needs of the community.

I think a reporting page would help in facciliating a more community oriented approach to the problem of trolls and banning. Furthermore a page for every single banned member would obviously be untenable, the page would idealistically only cover major trolls, multi-accounts, etc.

So this non issue your making an issue out of will only be used when dealing with major problems that in the past have been transparent for everyone to see.....

This sentence is more or less incoherent. I don't understand what you're saying.

Counter votebombing is untenable given the inherent controversiality in it. This function would be in conjunction with mod ability to remove votes.

Why force mods to remove votes when people can simply counter them? Mods have enough to handle already we dont need to give them more sh*t to handle that is already being successfully handled by everyone else.

Counter-votebombing as I've said isn't a successful response. It's necessary as a temporary measure, but as we can see in controversial debates like WriterDave and Contradiction's homosexuality debate, things get out of control.

A bug committee would be better suited to pointing out and coming up with solutions to bugs found (especially someone like Roy) as opposed to people simply posting stuff they find.

Your just adding a middle man though that isnt necessary to the process. When people report bugs on the sticky, Juggle looks into it. In this proposal your adding a committee to do the exact same thing but take longer to do it which in my opinion doesnt make it better suited to handling the problem.

How does it take longer? I didn't say that we shouldn't allow community input, Roy is uniquely qualified as a member and as someone with experience in this sort of thing to also look into bug problems and bring these to Juggle.

This doesn't mean just making a DDO account and recruiting random people, rather going to specific niches on the sites where rational people tend to be i.e., academic discussion groups, etc.

Do we really need a presidential platform attack strategy to do that?

It's a part of the policy my administration and myself would explore so yes.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.