Jump to topic:

Debate. Org Being Bias

Samyul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:24:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I feel as if this website is very bias to the Non-God, atheist, anti-creationism viewpoint. Now, I could be completely wrong and maybe a bit ignorant when I say that, but I just feel if you take the side of anti-God in any debate, no matter how good or bad you did you will completely demolish the opponent. Whether it be Theories of Life or the Universe, or simply religion itself, I just think that if you take the side of God no matter the issue, and no matter how well you did, you will loose.
What do you think?
-Samyul
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:26:08 PM
At 10/21/2012 8:24:15 PM, Samyul wrote:
I feel as if this website is very bias to the Non-God, atheist, anti-creationism viewpoint.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:29:06 PM
At 10/21/2012 8:26:08 PM, Koopin wrote:
I feel as if this website is very bias to the Non-God, atheist, anti-creationism viewpoint.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Wait, are you saying Bias in favor or against?
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:34:29 PM
I feel as if this website is very bias to the Non-God, atheist, anti-creationism viewpoint. Now, I could be completely wrong and maybe a bit ignorant when I say that, but I just feel if you take the side of anti-God in any debate, no matter how good or bad you did you will completely demolish the opponent. Whether it be Theories of Life or the Universe, or simply religion itself, I just think that if you take the side of God no matter the issue, and no matter how well you did, you will loose.
What do you think?

http://www.debate.org...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:36:12 PM
But yes, there is a bias, but a lot of that is because every argument that you could make has already been made, and so those that already believe in a God have already heard the atheist arguments and are believe that they are less effective, while the atheists feel the same about the other way.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:36:40 PM
What do you think?

nah, it's not the whole site...the religious zealots just tend to be louder, less mature, more self-serving, bias, and all-round irritating. They only account for a small margin of the site's active population.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 8:38:13 PM
At 10/21/2012 8:36:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
What do you think?

nah, it's not the whole site...the religious zealots just tend to be louder, less mature, more self-serving, bias, and all-round irritating. They only account for a small margin of the site's active population.

lol, he was talking about bias the other way.
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:18:25 PM
What do you think?

Conservative bias definitely.
Thank you for voting!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:19:57 PM
At 10/21/2012 8:38:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
What do you think?

lol, he was talking about bias the other way.

LOL that was so perfect. Way to prove the op wrong, Ike :)
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:26:07 PM
There are plenty of very good theist debaters on the site. Overall I'd say it's questionable which side dominates intellectually. However there are certainly more theists on this site than atheists and the majority of people here unfortunately vote on bias, so I don't think your assertions are too accurate.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:28:53 PM
At 10/21/2012 9:26:07 PM, phantom wrote:
There are plenty of very good theist debaters on the site. Overall I'd say it's questionable which side dominates intellectually. However there are certainly more theists on this site than atheists and the majority of people here unfortunately vote on bias, so I don't think your assertions are too accurate.

however the amount of atheists are way out of proportion to the amount of theists in the real world.
Open borders debate:
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:42:25 PM
At 10/21/2012 9:28:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:

however the amount of atheists are way out of proportion to the amount of theists in the real world.

Yeah, though I would like to note of the OP's failure to make a concrete example other than a few vague, categorical statements. That and the failure to realize how difficult to really measure a side's share of intellectual domination, or slant to whatever side that is more favored (the OP failed to really explain what he views as a "win," either considering/ignoring the votes on a debate, but eh).
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 10:15:55 PM
At 10/21/2012 9:28:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Truth
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Samyul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 5:50:54 AM
I'm not saying the website is bias everyone!
I'm saying that I am new to the site, and have been looking around at a group of religious debates dealing with God, and was getting that vibe. Like I said I could be completely wrong but being new to the site gave me that sort of feeling, and I realized I could be wrong so I asked all of you
-Samyul
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 4:02:35 PM
Perhaps. Though there are plenty of religious members who are respectable debate-wise. Contradiction, Inquire-Truth, Marauder, KRFournier, Popculturepooka. There are more atheists than theists on the site (who are active) but that doesn't mean this disproportion shows up in voting or effects debate outcomes in any major way.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 5:58:43 PM
At 10/21/2012 9:18:25 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
What do you think?

Conservative bias definitely.

Not at all. Most people here hate conservatives with a fiery passion. This site is libertarian biased.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 6:01:24 PM
At 10/22/2012 5:36:22 PM, FREEDO wrote:

American Nazi party more popular than the Republican AND Democratic party on DDO according to the demographics poll.
Open borders debate:
Samyul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 8:35:37 PM
Lets stay on topic of religion bias here.
I am not accusing this website of being bias towards creationists, I'm simply asking what everyone here thinks.
Do voters tend to vote for the Atheist view more than the creationist view?
Please state your opinion below.
-Samyul
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 8:42:07 PM
At 10/22/2012 8:35:37 PM, Samyul wrote:
I am not accusing this website of being bias towards creationists, I'm simply asking what everyone here thinks.

First, false dichotomy.

Yes, however, more often than not, in my opinion, the non-creationist view is usually better backed and supported than the creationist view. So a non-bias would vote that way more often.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 10:06:27 PM
At 10/22/2012 5:36:22 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Never knew ddo had a percentage of zero democrats and republicans.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 10:50:57 PM

That for which there is no evidence need not be accepted nor even discussed.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 11:49:30 PM

well most people on here believe that creationism is a laughably retarded concept and favor evolution, but that doesnt relate to the Atheist vs Theist debates. Atheism vs Theism go 50/50 either way, with no real bias towards either side. In the Creationism vs Evolution debates though there is a huge bias towards Evolution, for obvious reasons
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 11:49:49 PM
At 10/22/2012 10:50:57 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

That for which there is no evidence need not be accepted nor even discussed.

LK do you have a link to that second quote in your sig?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:23:45 AM
What do you think?

Yeah, this is true, and not only confined to religion. If you take an unpopular position in general, you are more likely to lose, and by unpopular I mean within the confines of this site. Before I debate, which I rarely do these days, I would take into account the popularity of my position, and if it's a minority position, I might not bother. It's irritating to put a lot of work into a debate, hold superior arguments, and lose because they are against the views of most members here. Now that doesn't mean it's not possible, it just means it's an uphill struggle.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:58:45 AM
What do you think?

Some bias voting does persist but it gets better every generation. At different times in DDO history certain ideologies couldn't get a win for nothing but it has gotten better. At one time the voting tab was private and no one could see who voted for who. Since the tab went public certain ideologies stand a better chance.

If it hasn't been suggested yet I would recommend checking out some of the stickied threads in this section for some great tips. Also check out these members, you can learn a lot from how they format their debates, use sources and general composer.

popculturepooka. http://www.debate.org...

J.kenyon. http://www.debate.org...

The general bias of the site is also pretty equal too. This is a first in a long long time. Just a year ago this post would have been attacked without mercy. If you disagreed with the attackers you would be threatened with having your personal info being revealed. You being reported to your ISP. Employer or parents being called. Anything to force you into submission of the groups here. Thanks to the great leadership of members like innomen and airmax this site has become safe for new members to question and enjoy.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:30:00 AM
What do you think?

If I said I was not a religious zealot, would I be a Religious Zealot because I took a non-personal remark personally?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!