Jump to topic:

Whats the point of a platform?

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 3:12:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Spinko and Bossy are both running under specific platforms, and bossy's slogan even directly mentions it. But with Juggle's recent activity, whats the point? The things people put on their platforms are things that we can get Juggle to add without the president being a middle man. For instance, Bossy's platform includes a "like" system, removal of profanity filter, and post/vote leaderboards. But if these are things we actually want, we can just collectively ask Juggle to add them in, and given their recent history, they will. I'd imagine that the only role the president would play is that Juggle would ask him to confirm that he's ok with the feature being added, and he would say yes or no...probably yes given that the community (which elected him) is the one that asked for it.

In other words, we could theoretically have no president, and still get all the features we want onto the site (or at least into Juggle's list of priorities). So to Spinko and bossy, why do you bother having platforms? Can't Juggle add/change stuff on community request alone? How does you being president make your proposed changes any more likely to happen than if we just made a thread asking for it, and multiple members gave their support?
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 3:23:04 AM
Does this mean that I can vote for anarchy on the ballot?
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 3:25:19 AM
An elected official would have more sway over Juggle though.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 3:47:34 AM
At 10/25/2012 3:12:07 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Spinko and Bossy are both running under specific platforms, and bossy's slogan even directly mentions it. But with Juggle's recent activity, whats the point? The things people put on their platforms are things that we can get Juggle to add without the president being a middle man. For instance, Bossy's platform includes a "like" system, removal of profanity filter, and post/vote leaderboards. But if these are things we actually want, we can just collectively ask Juggle to add them in, and given their recent history, they will. I'd imagine that the only role the president would play is that Juggle would ask him to confirm that he's ok with the feature being added, and he would say yes or no...probably yes given that the community (which elected him) is the one that asked for it.

In other words, we could theoretically have no president, and still get all the features we want onto the site (or at least into Juggle's list of priorities). So to Spinko and bossy, why do you bother having platforms? Can't Juggle add/change stuff on community request alone? How does you being president make your proposed changes any more likely to happen than if we just made a thread asking for it, and multiple members gave their support?

The prez does have some influence with juggle, we have seen that in the administrations since juggle bought the site.

I think this is why these elections becomes so character based. Platforms are pretty much just trying to get support from various groups in the community. Askbobs platform leaned heavily towards mafia, his supporters and people wanting to curse and post in all caps lol.

In reality there is no reason why the members could not form committees and push for changes they would like to see. If there is serious need for change in the Mafia world here they could get together and organize some changes and present them to the community, prez and juggle.

I've done it so there is no reason others can not.

I formed a small group of members that thought a tutorial would help the site. I gathered them in a pm and asked for suggestions. I opened one of those free forum sites so we could put it together and edit as we go. I was an aggravating prick to get it done.

I brought it to innomen and explained this has been a vision of the older members since this site began. I included Brittwalers cookbook to show how it was important to many of the original prominent members here.

Once it was finished I presented to innomen who signed off on it and made sure juggle approved. From their different members of the committee posted them into the forums and were stickied.

Platforms are more for buying votes than anything. If a prez is elected that is fair and committed to serving the community then change should be natural. But i think it is key that the prez should have service as top priority and have no connections to groups here in the community. We can clearly see what happens in an administration has private agendas and special groups they will cater to.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 7:54:24 AM
At 10/25/2012 3:12:07 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

You know how workers can collectively bargain? It is easier and more efficient for them to do so if there is a union head to channel their desires. As for us, it is easier and more efficient if there is a head to the DDO Union.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"