Jump to topic:

Increasing debate character count limit poll

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 9:31:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Was it you or blackvoid who explained the futility of raising the character limit? Whoever it was, they were spot on. If you can't respond to an 8k argument in 8k, what makes you think you can respond to a 10k argument in 10k?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 9:31:57 AM
At 10/26/2012 9:31:00 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Was it you or blackvoid who explained the futility of raising the character limit? Whoever it was, they were spot on. If you can't respond to an 8k argument in 8k, what makes you think you can respond to a 10k argument in 10k?

I see it less of needing more response time, and more of allowing more in one round.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 9:38:12 AM
This would also be a good time to link ore_ele's chart showing the steady decline in voting over the past year. I'm sure the problem is the debates just aren't long enough lol.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 10:14:37 AM
It isn't just about being able to respond. Some subjects are more in depth and require more space to get all your case in, in addition to rebuttals. If you don't need the extra space there is nothing saying that you have to use it, just like no one is required to use all 8000 characters now. It's simply there for those that need it.

It allows for more in depth argument and rebuttal and I don't see any down side at all to having that option available to us.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 10:25:41 AM
At 10/26/2012 10:14:37 AM, medic0506 wrote:
It isn't just about being able to respond. Some subjects are more in depth and require more space to get all your case in, in addition to rebuttals. If you don't need the extra space there is nothing saying that you have to use it, just like no one is required to use all 8000 characters now. It's simply there for those that need it.

It allows for more in depth argument and rebuttal and I don't see any down side at all to having that option available to us.

Voting is already at an all time low on this site. You think it's gonna better by increasing the length of the rounds voters have to read? If voting was a lot higher than it currently was, I'd support increasing the character limits. But not right now.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 10:33:11 AM
At 10/26/2012 10:25:41 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Voting is already at an all time low on this site. You think it's gonna better by increasing the length of the rounds voters have to read? If voting was a lot higher than it currently was, I'd support increasing the character limits. But not right now.

Medic doesn't really care about votes and just cares about challenging his beliefs. Of course, that means debating in PMs or the forums is a viable alternative.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 4:24:24 PM

Maybe voting would increase if there were more informative and interesting debates. Increasing character counts can only help with that situation. There is no down side to this change since those who don't want to use it don't have to.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2012 4:54:55 PM

Agreed.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan