Jump to topic:

Debates Not Appearing in the Voting Section

CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 4:25:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This question is mostly intended for nate but if anyone else has an answer to it I'd be happy to hear it.

Most of the time, when a debate in which I have just partaken enters the voting period, it appears on the main page of the site. If it has just entered the voting period, it usually is right at the very top, and then throughout the day moves down as more debates enter the voting period, but occasionally, my debates never appear in the voting period section. Why is this?

Surprisingly, people still voted on them. But I noticed that all those people were my friends and they were probably only aware of the debate because it showed up in their "What My Friends Are Doing" news feed.

I keep finding inconsistencies on this website, and this is just another one. Do you know why this keeps happening?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 4:43:27 PM
At 10/27/2012 4:25:15 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
This question is mostly intended for nate but if anyone else has an answer to it I'd be happy to hear it.

Most of the time, when a debate in which I have just partaken enters the voting period, it appears on the main page of the site. If it has just entered the voting period, it usually is right at the very top, and then throughout the day moves down as more debates enter the voting period, but occasionally, my debates never appear in the voting period section. Why is this?

Surprisingly, people still voted on them. But I noticed that all those people were my friends and they were probably only aware of the debate because it showed up in their "What My Friends Are Doing" news feed.

I keep finding inconsistencies on this website, and this is just another one. Do you know why this keeps happening?

Debates appear on the main page if there was no forfeit.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 5:29:14 PM
As stated, ffs don't show up, but post them on here when it happens so that people are aware of them. http://www.debate.org...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 6:39:30 PM
Thanks for the advice too. I'll do that from now on, although I still don't understand WHY the site was set up so that forfeited debates never appear in the voting section. Having a separate section for it seems a little impractical, but whatever.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 6:51:06 PM
At 10/27/2012 6:39:30 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
Thanks for the advice too. I'll do that from now on, although I still don't understand WHY the site was set up so that forfeited debates never appear in the voting section. Having a separate section for it seems a little impractical, but whatever.

I don't know what the reasoning was behind it but I'm glad it is how it is. Most people who come on to this site and start debates, end up leaving and forfeiting the entire debate. Obviously those are very low quality debates. What would happen if ff'd debates did show up would be a huge amount of those types of debates filling up the voting period section so that not only would debates not be on the page long enough to get votes, the quality of debates on the page would be drastically lower. How it's currently set up, a debate stays on the front page for a significantly long time so that it gets attention. If it was otherwise, debates would quickly get pushed off the front page so that they didn't get voted on and the large majority of the finished debates would be a waste of time to even read.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 7:17:11 PM
I think you have a great point about how forfeited debates (low quality debates) would be getting in the way of debates in which each opponent actually argued, but the way I see it, the same problem applies to the forum post for forfeited debates. Do debaters really care about looking through forum posts to find forfeited or unvoted debates?

If the site creators were smart, they'd make it so that once a forfeited debate got votes and the voting period ended, it would then leave the forum post, just as a debate leaves the voting section once the voting period for it has ended, (old debates leave the section, while fresh ones enter it) otherwise it's just going to keep building up and become more impractical.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 7:54:14 PM
At 10/27/2012 7:17:11 PM, CriticalThinkingMachine wrote:
I think you have a great point about how forfeited debates (low quality debates) would be getting in the way of debates in which each opponent actually argued, but the way I see it, the same problem applies to the forum post for forfeited debates. Do debaters really care about looking through forum posts to find forfeited or unvoted debates?

If the site creators were smart, they'd make it so that once a forfeited debate got votes and the voting period ended, it would then leave the forum post, just as a debate leaves the voting section once the voting period for it has ended, (old debates leave the section, while fresh ones enter it) otherwise it's just going to keep building up and become more impractical.

No one has to fish through the forum. Just click "most recent" and all the most recent debates posted there will be there. People are constantly visiting that forum so all you have to do is say that your opponent ff'd and people will take a look. Or you could just post the debate on peoples profiles and ask them to vote if it's not getting any attention.

I think it would take some very complicated encoding to make a system so that forum posts would disappear simultaneously with when the debate voting period ended. I also don't get your reasons for it really. It would be good if they created another section for recently ended forfeited debates though so that ff'd debates automatically went there when they ended like normal debates do to the recently ended section.
CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2012 10:01:04 PM
"No one has to fish through the forum. Just click "most recent" and all the most recent debates posted there will be there."

*Where is the thing that says "most recent"? I found something at the top that said "last page". Is that what you"re referring to?

"I think it would take some very complicated encoding to make a system so that forum posts would disappear simultaneously with when the debate voting period ended."

*Maybe, but obviously no more complicated than the encoding they already use to move debates from the voting period to the post voting period on the main page. If they can do it for regular debates, I just don"t see why they can"t do it for forfeited debates too.

"I also don't get your reasons for it really."

*Because it looks more organized and consistent that way. The same way that normal debates move voting to post voting, I think the same should occur with forfeited debates, instead of having them lumped together under one section.

"It would be good if they created another section for recently ended forfeited debates though so that ff'd debates automatically went there when they ended like normal debates do to the recently ended section."

*I agree 100%. This would create consistency and remove the contingency of the debaters being the ones who do or do not put their debates up for votes, whether in the forums or on people"s profiles or via asking one"s friends to vote for him. This is essentially the same idea as my initiating forum post, only the debates would be in a different section.