Jump to topic:

My DDO Election Platform!!!

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:12:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is taken directly from my last platform, all.

To preface, I refer to "Ministers," what I mean are helpers, "cabinet members," etc:

My platform will be primarily focused on our community and in-community initiatives. We can make DDO a great place without massive changes to the site code. My vision is for a DDO community that is stimulant to all sorts of ideas. One that can disagree and argue without obtrusive drama as seen in the past. Now, onto specific things I would try to help along the way if elected.

1) Adopt-a-noob programs. This will most likely take place in the form of an updated version of the rudimentary AaN which I began in the Mafia subcommunity, as well as one in the overall debate-oriented subcommunity. This could be accomplished either through a Minister of DDO immigration type-thing, or through 2 ministers--one for each sect.

2) Miscellaneous initiatives. These would encompass things such as the book club I started (which grinded to a halt/failed). We could have poetry/writing sharing groups as well. I believe that by creating initiatives, we can create a more welcoming and friendly DDO.

3) CONFLICT RESOLUTION AVENUES. This is the biggest push that made me seriously consider running in the first place, at least for this election. While healthy arguing and disagreements are fine, I would try to establish a service through PMs and such that would help people who have seriously disruptive, personal disagreements/problems. This would help the friendly atmosphere I envision, as well as reducing the amount of disruption and possible bannings that may have occurred otherwise.

4) A Bill of Rights. Yes, Thad indeed proposed this, but I'm not afraid to say that this is part of my platform as well, and for very similar reasons. For a community of intellectualism as well as well, DISCUSSION, we must have some stickied thread or otherwise that lists all members' rights. These could include freedom of speech (a big thing I advocate) and the right to not be abused on DDO.

Now, onto two things that I would advocate IF Juggle were willing:

1) Laxer TOS. This is a famous complaint, as well as the following one. I share it. I'm not as adament about it, but I agree. Some more relaxed TOS would lead to better discussions/fun, I believe.

2) Updated BIG Issues. I believe this doesn't need much description. However, I would advocate ongoing updates of them, instead of once-in-a-blue-moon ones.

3) Anything else that's simpler than big overhauls.

Although my platform might seem a bit ho-hum, and although my reputation isn't as widespread as other candidates, the biggest thing you should take away from me is the one thing that I am focusing on this election: our community. We are like no other. We're very tight-knit. And I believe that we could make this place even better if I'm elected.

If you support me, and have any ideas for more possible platform ideas, drop me a line. I'll get back to you ASAP.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:29:30 PM
Ohmergerd y u trying to take juggles attention off da important stuff?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:30:13 PM
At 10/28/2012 6:29:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Eh?

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:30:50 PM
At 10/28/2012 6:30:13 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Eh?

I should have said inb4.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 6:59:47 PM
At 10/28/2012 6:30:13 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Eh?

just ignore him, hes being a dumba**
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 7:27:59 PM
At 10/28/2012 6:12:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

To preface, I refer to "Ministers," what I mean are helpers, "cabinet members," etc:

My platform will be primarily focused on our community and in-community initiatives. We can make DDO a great place without massive changes to the site code. My vision is for a DDO community that is stimulant to all sorts of ideas. One that can disagree and argue without obtrusive drama as seen in the past. Now, onto specific things I would try to help along the way if elected.

1) Adopt-a-noob programs. This will most likely take place in the form of an updated version of the rudimentary AaN which I began in the Mafia subcommunity, as well as one in the overall debate-oriented subcommunity. This could be accomplished either through a Minister of DDO immigration type-thing, or through 2 ministers--one for each sect.

Do we need a president to carry this out exactly? You said yourself you created a program similar to this with some success and you didnt need the presidency to do that....

2) Miscellaneous initiatives. These would encompass things such as the book club I started (which grinded to a halt/failed). We could have poetry/writing sharing groups as well. I believe that by creating initiatives, we can create a more welcoming and friendly DDO.

I dont think we need the president to be concerned with book clubs either since we dont need a president initiative for those things. If a book club grinds to a halt and fails, it doesnt mean we need a president to make sure it lives on, it just means people around here dont give a damn about book suggestions.

3) CONFLICT RESOLUTION AVENUES. This is the biggest push that made me seriously consider running in the first place, at least for this election. While healthy arguing and disagreements are fine, I would try to establish a service through PMs and such that would help people who have seriously disruptive, personal disagreements/problems. This would help the friendly atmosphere I envision, as well as reducing the amount of disruption and possible bannings that may have occurred otherwise.

We've had that since the Innomen administration. It was PM threads like the ones you describe that were utilized to fix the conflict between certain members. (Im not really allowed to go into detail about this but this has been used to settle some notorious disputes in the distant and recent past)

Plus I think that temp bans work quite nicely. It sure as hell fixed Mouthwash and Fool on the hill....

4) A Bill of Rights. Yes, Thad indeed proposed this, but I'm not afraid to say that this is part of my platform as well, and for very similar reasons. For a community of intellectualism as well as well, DISCUSSION, we must have some stickied thread or otherwise that lists all members' rights. These could include freedom of speech (a big thing I advocate) and the right to not be abused on DDO.

What rights do we have exactly? DDO is owned completely by Juggle and they can do whatever the hell they want with us, what rights do any of us on here actually have that Juggle cannot infringe?

1) Laxer TOS. This is a famous complaint, as well as the following one. I share it. I'm not as adament about it, but I agree. Some more relaxed TOS would lead to better discussions/fun, I believe.

A Laxer TOS? how is that an issue, Mouthwash made a thread with a multiaccount where he bypassed the curse filter multiple times to attack his own profile while the multiaccount he used was designed to incriminate somebody else.... And he was only banned for 2 days or so.... How is a strict TOS a problem on here?

2) Updated BIG Issues. I believe this doesn't need much description. However, I would advocate ongoing updates of them, instead of once-in-a-blue-moon ones.

We dont need to update the Big issues, that was a huge problem in the past but now people got the updates they wanted and people couldnt be happier. Besides if they changed too much then the Big Issues would lose its value because the last time it was updated a few topics did get retired which people cared for.

You cant just say 'anything else i missed' because it implies you dont know what the DDO community is really concerned about.

Although my platform might seem a bit ho-hum, and although my reputation isn't as widespread as other candidates, the biggest thing you should take away from me is the one thing that I am focusing on this election: our community. We are like no other. We're very tight-knit. And I believe that we could make this place even better if I'm elected.

Do you believe that you can make this better at the rate Airmax is doing it?

If you support me, and have any ideas for more possible platform ideas, drop me a line. I'll get back to you ASAP.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 7:51:32 PM
At 10/28/2012 7:27:59 PM, imabench wrote:
At 10/28/2012 6:12:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Do we need a president to carry this out exactly? You said yourself you created a program similar to this with some success and you didnt need the presidency to do that....

I dont think we need the president to be concerned with book clubs either since we dont need a president initiative for those things. If a book club grinds to a halt and fails, it doesnt mean we need a president to make sure it lives on, it just means people around here dont give a damn about book suggestions.

I'll address both these concerns at once.

I feel that having such initiatives initiated from an agent that has a larger pervasiveness in the community (ie, a president/his "circle"), they are more apt to succeed.

This being said, I would probably not completely run every initiative. I would perhaps run a few to several, and definitely advocate all, but I feel like my position would be more of an assistant to community initiatives via advocacy, advertisement, etc.

We've had that since the Innomen administration. It was PM threads like the ones you describe that were utilized to fix the conflict between certain members. (Im not really allowed to go into detail about this but this has been used to settle some notorious disputes in the distant and recent past)

Plus I think that temp bans work quite nicely. It sure as hell fixed Mouthwash and Fool on the hill....

Well, first and foremost, I have not heard of, nor do I think many others have heard of, this system.

But secondly, I would then take such a system and try to make it more public, to make it more accessible to have recourse than a more exclusionary system.

As for temp bans, I feel that such things are better left for TOS violations than personal conflicts.

What rights do we have exactly? DDO is owned completely by Juggle and they can do whatever the hell they want with us, what rights do any of us on here actually have that Juggle cannot infringe?

These are rights which I would say apply to intracommunity discussion. I gave the anti-abuse rights, for example, and the relative right to free expression.

A Laxer TOS? how is that an issue, Mouthwash made a thread with a multiaccount where he bypassed the curse filter multiple times to attack his own profile while the multiaccount he used was designed to incriminate somebody else.... And he was only banned for 2 days or so.... How is a strict TOS a problem on here?

What I mean by a laxer TOS is a TOS that more accurately fits the way our moderation works on DDO, not necessarily changing how we moderate.

We dont need to update the Big issues, that was a huge problem in the past but now people got the updates they wanted and people couldnt be happier. Besides if they changed too much then the Big Issues would lose its value because the last time it was updated a few topics did get retired which people cared for.

Fair enough points. Consider it a point then that I would continue to support BIG Issue changes when needed.

You cant just say 'anything else i missed' because it implies you dont know what the DDO community is really concerned about.

I put this there precisely because I don't know what every thing the community is concerned about. The one big reason why I'm running is to focus on interpersonal and intracommunity development. MUCH of my platform relies on feedback from the community. Far be it from me to suggest I know what everyone wants.

Do you believe that you can make this better at the rate Airmax is doing it?