Jump to topic:

Ok, I am really confused.

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 7:54:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In DDO debates, is the BOP rested on Pro or the Instigator.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 8:00:11 PM
Con.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 8:03:24 PM
Unless otherwise stated ("we share," or "on Con"), the BOP is ALWAYS on Pro. The position asserting a position is always the one that must prove the position.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 8:04:02 PM
In philosophy, usually the Burden of proof is on the person who makes a positive claim: Ex: "Evolution occurs" or "Objects fall on earth due to gravity".

However, a debater can pre-state whether he/she wishes the BOP to fall on him/her, the partner, or on both.

Also, in some cases, if the person argues "The show "House" is better than "Grey's Anatomy", the person arguing against the resolution might be arguing the reverse "The Show "Grey's Anatomy is better than "House"" so the BOP is equal.

There's also cases where the BOP might not be so great. For example if you state that "X is probably due to Y" instead of saying "X is due to Y". or "It is possible X might be due to Y".
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 8:04:15 PM
At 10/28/2012 7:54:04 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

The burden of proof can rest on either the instigator, the contender, or sometimes both, it all depends on the resolution of the debate being debated.

Examples:

Resolution : "Creationism is true"

The instigator has the BOP because they need to prove that Creationism is indeed true to win the debate

Resolution: "Obama is just as bad as Bush"

Both the instigator and the contender have the BOP, the Instigator has to argue that Obama is as bad as Bush, the Contender has to argue that Bush is either better or worse then Obama.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 8:05:48 PM
At 10/28/2012 7:54:04 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

BoP rests on anyone forwarding a claim, the validity of which is in contention. So the burden can be held by pro, where con only needs to contravene the arguments pro puts forth, held by con, where pro only needs to contravene the arguments con puts forth, or shared, where both debaters must actively provide proof for opposite claims. Most debates have shared burden of proof.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 8:06:25 PM
Very debatable issue. Some people say it depends on who's pro and such, but I beg to differ. If I make a debate about the abominable snowman existing, the BoP should be on the one arguing for its existence unless it's mutually agreed upon as otherwise. So regardless of whether the instigator makes the res "the abominable snow man probably doesn't exist" and takes pro or he makes the same res and takes con the BoP is on who is arguing for its existence. BoP should be decided by rationally reflecting on what is being arguing. If the resolution is "utilitarianism is not true", and the instigator is pro, con should still have the burden of proof to prove that utilitarianism is true. After all, the debate is on whether utilitarianism can be deemed as true. Taking that into account the one advocating the theory should prove it is true. It's the same with most theories that are being advanced. Kant didn't just state the categorical imperative and say it's you who have to prove me wrong and I can sit back and refute. Rather he had to prove it right so that contenders could take down his arguments as well as poking holes in the theory itself. That's perhaps the best way to reflect on it. Focus off of the resolution and ask the question, what is being debated. From there you can deduct which stance has the BoP or whether it is shared. Who is pro is sometimes a significant factor but usually not.

But of course there are exceptions, especially seeing as it is an unpopular stance and people tend to decide the BoP by mutual agreement often.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 8:11:00 PM
Usually the BoP goes to whoever is defending a topic or if someone is suggesting a change to the status quo then they have the Burden of Proof to prove that it would be better than what we have now.
These are not the droids you're looking for.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 11:45:58 PM
At 10/28/2012 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Unless otherwise stated ("we share," or "on Con"), the BOP is ALWAYS on Pro. The position asserting a position is always the one that must prove the position.

I've seen some recent debates where the instigator argues first, but takes the name "Con." In these cases, Con has the burden of proof.