Jump to topic:

Voting suggest

Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 9:30:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
High, I am working on suggestions about improving the voting structure and am looking for members suggestions also.

Please provide any suggestion you have here!

One major suggestion I have is a system that only allows senior members or at least those who show quality votes, only be allowed to vote. The reason I say this is because too many voters have biased votes and have inequit reasons for their votes. Their are too many voters who are noobs and have no experience on what to look for in the debate in voting. I agree that there are many noobs who can provide great determinations for voting(touchy situation). There are too many VB's. Then there are too many counter VB's and there would be no need for counter VB's if VB's were not happening in the first place. I do not think that a increase or all member voting system is needed. Only a handful of voters with solid skills and determinations are needed. I think we should have elder members decide who should be put on a voting team. Members of the voting team would be evenly placed in all the topics for debates and that would be what they vote on. Senior members of course would be allowed to vote on anything. I think the voting team should consist of members two years or newer and voted in to the group by experienced members. This would give members two years or less a job on this site as members(a higher importance and duty here). I think about a ten or fifteen man team on each topic and maybe each member in the group have two or three topics they vote on. A requirement of five votes on each debate. Anyway this is some suggestions I have and I have more. I hope you all provide your own.

This is a process that needs improving but also with care.

Considering this is a debate site and votes determine a debate then it should be a priority to maintain a solid voting system.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 6:44:30 AM
I do, and I'm sorry I missed this post. I'm quite busy with exams right now but I would be happy to answer any questions on the below four suggestions.

1) Give more characters for RFDs (because 500 is NEVER sufficient to explain why one side won a debate of up to 80,000 characters and give advice to both sides)

2) Assign a score rather than fill out checkboxes. Checkboxes encourage bad voting reasoning. Scores give judges the power to assign scores based on issues that were of greater or lesser importance to the debate.

3) Create a section on the site on how to vote and provide lots of links to it for new members. It should explain the difference between voting and the opinions section.

4) Add a button to private message a judge beneath their RFD. This encourages debaters talking to judges about how they can do better next time.

There are some problems with your proposal. First, there are some senior members on this site who are not good voters. Second, I think when voting is done properly, it can be a better learning tool about debates than actually debating (I say this from personal real-life judging experience). As an experienced judge/debater in the real world, I would be put off this site if it didn't let me vote while several others who had been longer on this site than me could, and provided horrible RFDs. I also would be impressed if you could find 10-15 people for each topic, and 5 votes for each debate. Voting is a huge commitment and can take me hours (including time to read the debate), so I for one couldn't be on a voting team even if you wanted me to be. You'd most attract those who skim over debates and jump to conclusions.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 6:55:19 AM
At 10/29/2012 6:44:30 AM, larztheloser wrote:
I do, and I'm sorry I missed this post. I'm quite busy with exams right now but I would be happy to answer any questions on the below four suggestions.

1) Give more characters for RFDs (because 500 is NEVER sufficient to explain why one side won a debate of up to 80,000 characters and give advice to both sides)

2) Assign a score rather than fill out checkboxes. Checkboxes encourage bad voting reasoning. Scores give judges the power to assign scores based on issues that were of greater or lesser importance to the debate.

3) Create a section on the site on how to vote and provide lots of links to it for new members. It should explain the difference between voting and the opinions section.

4) Add a button to private message a judge beneath their RFD. This encourages debaters talking to judges about how they can do better next time.

There are some problems with your proposal. First, there are some senior members on this site who are not good voters. Second, I think when voting is done properly, it can be a better learning tool about debates than actually debating (I say this from personal real-life judging experience). As an experienced judge/debater in the real world, I would be put off this site if it didn't let me vote while several others who had been longer on this site than me could, and provided horrible RFDs. I also would be impressed if you could find 10-15 people for each topic, and 5 votes for each debate. Voting is a huge commitment and can take me hours (including time to read the debate), so I for one couldn't be on a voting team even if you wanted me to be. You'd most attract those who skim over debates and jump to conclusions.

Good suggestions. I also think the senior members who are known to be poor voters should not be allowed to vote. Voting should be a committment and should be more valued for the integrity of the site.