Jump to topic:

Forum post buffer

PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 9:16:07 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I thought I was the only one ranting so much that I keep running afoul of forum post buffers, especially when replying to someone point by point, they reply to you point by point and sooner or later that Characters Remaining hits zero and you're nowhere near done!

I've taken to cheating around this a bit ... I hit "Reply" to a post so I get all the colon-reply-indents in a row, then Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C to select and copy all the text in the buffer, open up a Notepad window and craft a response.

Its easier since I can see all the stuff all the time, and if I happen to hit 8,000 characters, it doesn't suddenly scream at me and lose my cursor place so I can find out what else I can cut out that I wasn't really responding to, etc., etc. I wait until I'm done, its easier to scroll back and forth throughout the whole messages looking for moldy :::: lines to trim, etc. ... and if worse comes to worse, I can post the message, let the bottom get chopped, go up to the paragraph interrupted by the 8k limit, chop that off so I don't have a partial paragraph, post, go back to my Notepad window, find the start of that paragraph, copy and paste the rest into a new response.

This is kind of a tip to get around it, since I know however evil and ranty and long-winded I get, I've heard my opponents in message forum debates complain about hitting the char limit themselves. 'Course I know it doesn't work as well in actual Debates since you are limited in debate rounds and can't post a string of responses, though it does still help to have a decent text editor to edit your message in instead of the somewhat dinky input box.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 12:48:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Use comments to deal with it in debates. Though people will bite your head off for it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.