Jump to topic:

What is the change?

baseballkid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 10:00:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I do debate for school and would just like to know some of the basic differences between this and real life debate.
"Its a dog eat dog world and I am wearing bacon pants."
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 10:04:35 PM
At 11/2/2012 10:00:51 PM, baseballkid wrote:
I do debate for school and would just like to know some of the basic differences between this and real life debate.

It's on the computer.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 10:24:03 PM
At 11/2/2012 10:04:35 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

It's on the computer.

I don't know why, your response is hilarious. I read your response in like a slightly monotone, blantant voice, like this voice. Made me literally lol.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 10:27:04 PM
At 11/2/2012 10:24:03 PM, Contra wrote:
At 11/2/2012 10:04:35 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

It's on the computer.

I don't know why, your response is hilarious. I read your response in like a slightly monotone, blantant voice, like this voice. Made me literally lol.

Haha... glad to know I made someone laugh over the interwebs.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 11:03:02 PM

Read the DDO Tutorial thread at the to of this form, also find the Help menu at the bottom left of the page and read that.

Written debates tend to be more carefully worded that academic debates, no surprise. Academic debate topics are designed to be "debatable." When people here make up debate resolution they can be defective in interesting ways: poor wording, wording designed to trick the opponent, and topics that are really unresolvable. Look at the resolution carefully or write your own with care.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 11:55:23 PM
One big difference is that the level of research and argumentation is quite high on a debate site, given a quality debate. The depth and abstraction you can reach online is beyond a spoken debate, where rhetoric can be more of an issue.

Oh, and no teammates online. There's more factors of course. but that's a start.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
CriticalThinkingMachine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2012 12:37:56 AM
I find debating online infinitely better than debating in a live school debate, mainly for the reason that everything is written as opposed to being spoken. This avoids the problem of points being forgotten, people stuttering or stumbling over their words, and it makes no need for copious note-taking.

It's a more relaxed atmosphere too. Debaters can take their time as they usually have 72 hours to post for each round, whereas in a school debate, debaters are typically only given 15 minutes to prepare for the entire debate.

Also, you can actually choose the topics you want to debate on this site. You can start a debate on anything you want, and if someone is interested in the same thing and wants to challenge you, they can accept the challenge. Many school debate clubs simply assign topics as well as whether you will be pro and con, so you might get stuck defending something that you completely oppose or have no interest in.

This site has a lot of issues, but as far as the debate aspect goes, I find it a lot more enjoyable than a school debate club, for all the aforementioned reasons.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2012 12:50:38 AM
I get more of a kick out of real debates, but online is fun too, you will find more people with very interesting opinions, and debating each post can take hours.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...