Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Remove earlier nested text.

Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:58:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Given that there is an imposed limit to the size of a posting in the forums and given that a post grows as the participants' comments are automaticall nested when one replies.

Can we have a capability "Remove comments whose level is > X" where X is some integer we can specify?

The effect of this with say an X=4 would be to remove all text lines that are preceded by 4 or more colons.

Doing this manually is error prone and sometimes leads to misleading replies being posted.

Harry.
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 9:23:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/3/2012 10:58:10 AM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
Doing this manually is error prone and sometimes leads to misleading replies being posted.

Manual removal of the dross that you aren't responding to is the responsible way to post.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:22:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:23:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's not good to nest text.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:07:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 1:22:06 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:09:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 1:23:32 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
It's not good to nest text.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:22:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 2:07:40 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:22:06 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:23:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 2:22:03 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:07:40 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:22:06 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:24:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 2:09:28 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:23:32 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
It's not good to nest text.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 3:59:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 2:23:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:22:03 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:07:40 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:22:06 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 4:54:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 3:59:53 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:23:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:22:03 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:07:40 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:22:06 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 5:01:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 4:54:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/4/2012 3:59:53 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:23:03 PM, phantom wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:22:03 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 11/4/2012 2:07:40 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:22:06 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:16:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:12:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/4/2012 1:10:36 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yeah, just delete it.

It's a bad practice to just keep mindlessly repeating the whole thread.

And wait for all DDO to reply to this to make it one long string of droll quotes.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 2:13:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/4/2012 9:23:08 AM, wiploc wrote:
At 11/3/2012 10:58:10 AM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
Doing this manually is error prone and sometimes leads to misleading replies being posted.

Manual removal of the dross that you aren't responding to is the responsible way to post.

I'm simply asking to have this supported by the system rather than requiring manual error prone fiddling around.

Doing so automatically would improve the quality of the replies, reduce effort, ensure nesting consistency (e.g. if I ask it to remove all lines at 4 or higher nesting then ALL such lines will be removed - doing so manually is error prone).

This is what software is good at.

Harry.