Jump to topic:

The Opinions Section

Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 6:49:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We've all been there, We've all seen the horrors, my eyes still burn from accidentally clicking on the section. The Opinions section is by far my least favorite part about DDO, and as many threads as there have been about this, the topic has died down.

Well I'm bringing it back, welcome to a rant by Chicken, about the Opinions Section.

1) More than half of the people that submitted opinions are not registered to DDO.

2) Most of the posts lack any substantial value, many are grammatically incorrect, and it's quite easy to see that half the people who post do not know what they are talking about.

3) About 75% of the registered DDO Members that commented in the opinions section have not been active since they commented, meaning accounts are being made just to voice an opinion, and then the people leave forever.

4) Most if not all Active members do not use the opinions section, it is a waste of space in essence.

Reasons for Ranting:

The reasons are whiny, I admit, but they are quite clear and understandable. The Opinions section lies in between the forums and debate sections. It represents 33% of the left and side of the DDO Statusbar. This 33% could be used for something more, something people on DDO could actually use. I see no reason to keep the opinions section going, it's in fact detrimental to DDO, considering most if not all of the comments are incoherent and rely on no prior knowledge of certain issues. The statements are bland, and before someone comes here and says "well it's just your opinion" These are not the opinions of the members of DDO, these are the opinions of random people strolling past Social Networking Websites that may have come upon this. This makes people coming to join DDO judge the communities prior knowledge, rather than looking towards the forums page. Obviously debates share some of the similar characteristics as the opinions section, with random argumentation, trolls, and inactives, however there is essence to the debate section.

If you've gotten this far, leave a :3 and a bucket of kfc. Then either rant with me or tell me why my rant is idiotic and a waste of your time. I don't judge.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 6:58:39 PM
At 11/7/2012 6:49:10 PM, Chicken wrote:
We've all been there, We've all seen the horrors, my eyes still burn from accidentally clicking on the section. The Opinions section is by far my least favorite part about DDO, and as many threads as there have been about this, the topic has died down.

Well I'm bringing it back, welcome to a rant by Chicken, about the Opinions Section.

1) More than half of the people that submitted opinions are not registered to DDO.

2) Most of the posts lack any substantial value, many are grammatically incorrect, and it's quite easy to see that half the people who post do not know what they are talking about.

3) About 75% of the registered DDO Members that commented in the opinions section have not been active since they commented, meaning accounts are being made just to voice an opinion, and then the people leave forever.

4) Most if not all Active members do not use the opinions section, it is a waste of space in essence.

Reasons for Ranting:

The reasons are whiny, I admit, but they are quite clear and understandable. The Opinions section lies in between the forums and debate sections. It represents 33% of the left and side of the DDO Statusbar. This 33% could be used for something more, something people on DDO could actually use.

Pause. First off, there is clearly space next to "forums" that we could add tabs if we wanted to. In fact we could fit at least 3 more tabs into that statusbar without changing the size of any of them.

Second, what would we be replacing it with? If we had something amazingly awesome that we couldnt put on the statusbar because opinions is in the way, thats an issue. But there isnt anything amazingly awesome that needs a place on the statusbar.

Lastly, the opinions section is very important to the health of the Weekly Stupid, i frequently go in there to find stupid material when people are not submitting stuff from the forums, so they are still useful in a way.

I see no reason to keep the opinions section going, it's in fact detrimental to DDO, considering most if not all of the comments are incoherent and rely on no prior knowledge of certain issues. The statements are bland, and before someone comes here and says "well it's just your opinion" These are not the opinions of the members of DDO, these are the opinions of random people strolling past Social Networking Websites that may have come upon this. This makes people coming to join DDO judge the communities prior knowledge, rather than looking towards the forums page. Obviously debates share some of the similar characteristics as the opinions section, with random argumentation, trolls, and inactives, however there is essence to the debate section.

If you've gotten this far, leave a :3 and a bucket of kfc. Then either rant with me or tell me why my rant is idiotic and a waste of your time. I don't judge.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 7:03:03 PM
Used to use it but have neglected completely. It needs to be improved a lot, otherwise it should be removed.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 7:17:39 PM
At 11/7/2012 6:53:50 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Nominated for the weekly stupid.

<3
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 7:23:46 PM
At 11/7/2012 7:03:03 PM, phantom wrote:
Used to use it but have neglected completely. It needs to be improved a lot, otherwise it should be removed.

I guess i should have said that verbatim rather than just ranting.
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc