Total Posts:337|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

To everyone who hates the Weekly Stupid

imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 8:17:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It appears that some people have a problem with how I select material to be on the show, and since it is now spilling over into other threads the time has come I suppose to tell everyone how I pick material for the show. Below is the process that all material submitted for the show goes has to go through in order to end up in the top 10.

1) Material is submitted to me usually through a PM, a post on my wall, or someone just shouting my name in a forum I happen to be in when someone says something stupid. If I am in the forum and someone just highlights it instead of formally submitting it, I simply record the quote for later inspection.

2) All material submitted via PM or posted on my profile is checked for a source to ensure that it was said and that it was said in the past 2 weeks or said after the most recent episode. This is to prevent material that wasnt actually said from being admitted, and to keep the show up to date material wise. If someone submits something from two months ago, then it isnt admissible.

3) Any material that makes it past step 2 is given a quick scan for stupidity. If I immediately find nothing stupid at all about the quote, I throw it out, end of story. If I do find it stupid or humorous in any way, I hold on to it for further review.

4) Any material that is submitted by 2 or more different people is given extra consideration because naturally material I dont initially find stupid may in fact be considered stupid. If material is submitted multiple different times, I am more lenient to it. 20% of the time it is stupid and I missed it, the other 80% of the time its usually material that two or more people from the same political ideology simply disagree with. This 80% of the material is killed, the other 20% I hold onto for later review.

5) In the last four days before the latest episode, I review ALL of the material that hasnt been thrown out, along with any quotes I found myself, for final judging. Then the material enters a new process for evaluation based on stupidity by looking for these specific qualities.

- 1 - Does the quote lose any stupidity by eliminating who actually said it?
(this is meant to try to keep the show appealing to newcomers rather then have it be just an inside joke to just those who have been around DDO and know who Im talking about)

- 2 - Is the quote stupid because it is illogical and irrational or because people disagree with it?
(This factors out material submitted because people's partisians biases dont agree with it)

- 3 - Do people immediately back away from their statements and admit they were wrong or do they honestly believe in what they said and stand by what they said?
(This factors out material that the people who said it honestly dont believe in it, though its hard to do this since most people leave threads after they were proven wrong rather then admit they were wrong and back away from what they said)

- 4 - Was the person trolling?
(If its trolling then it isnt sincere and then the person is just attention-whoring to get on the show or was just kidding around, both cases have happened)

- 5 - Is the material still stupid after a while?
(The most stupid statements usually are just as stupid after a long period of time)

- 6 - Is the material clear and straightforward enough for people to understand and see why its stupid?
(Im not going to post a stupid comment if you need a paragraph to put the statement into context to show why its stupid)

- 7 - Was this said by a known multi-account?
(Multi-accoutns usually troll and thus their material is almost never sincere and isnt admissible unless there is a significant chance the person behind the multiaccount believes it too, very ahrd to prove but very rare occurance)

Any material that doesnt meet any one of these standards is usually discarded, anything that violates two or three of these things is immediately discarded.

After material makes it through that 7 step process, two more things are checked before the episodes material is finalized.

1) Is the quote what somebody actually said or is it completely out of context.
(I use full quotes as much as possible to avoid people accusing me of rearranging words in quotes to make them seem stupider then they claim. The only person to accuse me of doing this was blameworthy who was controlled by royal but I showed how the quote in question was taken word for word and not altered in any way)

and 2) Is the person who said the quote also behind 2 or more other quotes?
(Its by my own policy that nobody can appear on the top 10 more then twice to promote a little diversity in the material and to limit the impact of trolling multiaccounts, such as whoever was behind MattDescopa and of course Blameworthy)

Now any material that makes it past that point is then organized into order of the top 10 based mostly on my own opinion.... Since after all it is my show. Then after some final shuffling I record the show, throw in my flavor of humor, then I put it on youtube, post the link it to DDO, and then I GO AND TAKE A NAP TO CATCH UP ON THE SLEEP IVE BEEN LOSING OVER THIS.

Trust me this is a freaking exhausting process for me.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Now if someone complains about material that did or didnt end up on the show, they also go through a process where I determine if I should care about their opinions and complaints or not.

1) Have they actively tried to submit material to the show to make it better or have they never expressed any concern about the show at all?

Thats actually the only step they have to go through, yet just about everyone who has whined about the show fails to meet this one condition, so they therefore dont qualify for me to care about their opinion.... If a person does submit material on a regular basis and they have a problem with a show, then I take their opinion very seriously since they contribute to the show and Ive let them down in a way. I give the best show I can to those who actually care about it and contribute to it because they are the ones who the show is for. Im not going to waste extra effort I usually dont have on trying to please every last person on the site if those people have never shown that they even cared about the show, so I dont.

All material goes through the 14 total steps above at least once, much of the material goes through a couple times just to make sure its stupid. The reason I have such an elaborate process is to make sure that:
- I dont pick material just because I personally disagree with it,
- I dont pick material just to try to make somebody look bad,
- I dont pick material to try to not get people to not listen to the person whoever said it,
- I dont pick material just because it appeals to the political bias of the audience

Now the thing is, I do give some commentary about the quotes that end up on the show because I do not intend for the show to be a factchecking organization. Its meant primarily for entertainment, which is why I make it the way it is. I do try to make sure only material that is blatantly wrong and false end up on the show to give it some credibility, but the Weekly Stupid exists primarily for entertainment.

Which brings me to the Three holy laws of the Weekly Stupid.

1) The show is meant to entertain, not just to factcheck. (Even though I do factcheck some of the material anyways)

2) If someone doesnt like the material I selected, but theyve done nothing to make it more accurate or have better material, then they let it happen.

And most importantly:

3) If you dont find it entertaining, then dont watch it.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 8:43:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh my goshness, this is so much. You must be so upset.

Well, I don't know what anyone said to you, but there's two things I have to say about your show. First, it's rather well-executed, especially given when I imagine to be the production materials you have at your disposal. On the other hand, I think that your selection should be a little more diverse and from more unlikely people. Targeting the public whipping boy for that week as a target for your show is almost trite, no matter how good the material is. I mean, if someone is already making "I'm breaking up you with DDO (please love me)" threads, then you're really just kicking a bloke when he's down.

If you were to start including little jems from OreEle, Bossy, or even FREEDO, on the other hand (and, although these people tend to have excellent input, they aren't always the same and they aren't perfect), then you would have some real controversy going (which is something from which I notice you feed) on top of what would likely be a much more wildly popular show. I mean, appearing in the weekly stupid shouldn't be an assessment of someone's character or ideologies. It should simply point out stupid or otherwise hilarious commentary from whomever they happen to derive.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 8:53:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

Then why did you watch all of them? :)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 8:54:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 8:43:12 PM, Ren wrote:
Oh my goshness, this is so much. You must be so upset.

Well, I don't know what anyone said to you, but there's two things I have to say about your show. First, it's rather well-executed, especially given when I imagine to be the production materials you have at your disposal. On the other hand, I think that your selection should be a little more diverse and from more unlikely people. Targeting the public whipping boy for that week as a target for your show is almost trite, no matter how good the material is. I mean, if someone is already making "I'm breaking up you with DDO (please love me)" threads, then you're really just kicking a bloke when he's down.

I dont target anyone, people submit material and I judge it for what its worth, not for who said it.

If you were to start including little jems from OreEle, Bossy, or even FREEDO, on the other hand (and, although these people tend to have excellent input, they aren't always the same and they aren't perfect), then you would have some real controversy going (which is something from which I notice you feed) on top of what would likely be a much more wildly popular show. I mean, appearing in the weekly stupid shouldn't be an assessment of someone's character or ideologies. It should simply point out stupid or otherwise hilarious commentary from whomever they happen to derive.

If Ore_Ele ever says something stupid to end up on the show, then I would have lost faith in humanity long before then.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 8:57:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I like your show imabench :)
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 8:58:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 8:54:29 PM, imabench wrote:

If Ore_Ele ever says something stupid to end up on the show, then I would have lost faith in humanity long before then.

I agree, he's a smart dude -- in fact, it would be completely surprising to find someone like him on the show. But, that's the point.

I don't know, I was just giving some input. What do I know, really? I've never made a show. I think your show is great. It isn't incredible every time, but nothing is. Just go with the flow and do you, but there will always be critics and haters.

Fvck them.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:07:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 9:00:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I'm not surprised Ren likes the show since his main response tactic in arguments is to denigrate his opponents.

8O Is that really what you think?

Wow, geez. I really don't misbehave that often, and it's almost always reflexively.

But, damn, if that's what you're just going to blurt out like that, then I'm sure you said it with some confidence that someone else might agree. I hope there aren't disparaging opinions about me circulating the silent PM web throughout this site's regs. But, if there are, then that's fine. There's definitely more than one of you that don't like me. In fact, I can think of four offhand that have made it quite public that they're not too fond of me. I guess this makes it five that I can immediately recollect. That's a lot of haters for this site. Lol, based on what I see with others, that is actually a super high hater ratio.

Am I disliked here? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I suppose it really doesn't matter, either, because more and more often, I'm just typing to myself when I come to this site. I don't think I've had a good conversation with anyone in months.

Well, I can't make you like what I have to say. So, I guess you all can just ignore me until I fade away.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 9:12:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 9:00:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I'm not surprised Ren likes the show since his main response tactic in arguments is to denigrate his opponents.

Law number three.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:21:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ren, did you just say that I have excellent input?

lul

Imabench, keep on trucking.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:22:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 10:21:11 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Ren, did you just say that I have excellent input?

lul

Imabench, keep on trucking.

My mind turned this into something completely different when I first scrolled down. >.>
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:39:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 10:22:53 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 11/14/2012 10:21:11 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Ren, did you just say that I have excellent input?

lul

Imabench, keep on trucking.

My mind turned this into something completely different when I first scrolled down. >.>

I read it the same way 0_0
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 10:57:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
When some of our saner, more measured members start complaining about the WS, then it's time to take a step back. Till then

http://www.blogcdn.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 11:26:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 8:43:12 PM, Ren wrote:
Oh my goshness, this is so much. You must be so upset.

Well, I don't know what anyone said to you, but there's two things I have to say about your show. First, it's rather well-executed, especially given when I imagine to be the production materials you have at your disposal. On the other hand, I think that your selection should be a little more diverse and from more unlikely people. Targeting the public whipping boy for that week as a target for your show is almost trite, no matter how good the material is. I mean, if someone is already making "I'm breaking up you with DDO (please love me)" threads, then you're really just kicking a bloke when he's down.

If you were to start including little jems from OreEle, Bossy, or even FREEDO, on the other hand (and, although these people tend to have excellent input, they aren't always the same and they aren't perfect), then you would have some real controversy going (which is something from which I notice you feed) on top of what would likely be a much more wildly popular show. I mean, appearing in the weekly stupid shouldn't be an assessment of someone's character or ideologies. It should simply point out stupid or otherwise hilarious commentary from whomever they happen to derive.

Ouch...

I have an idea though (maybe someone already said it, I have a problem with reading through all the posts before I post mine). Put up just the quotes without saying who actually said them. Let people vote on that for the award thingie, then next week you can reveal the sources of the previous week.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:03:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 11:26:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:43:12 PM, Ren wrote:
Oh my goshness, this is so much. You must be so upset.

Well, I don't know what anyone said to you, but there's two things I have to say about your show. First, it's rather well-executed, especially given when I imagine to be the production materials you have at your disposal. On the other hand, I think that your selection should be a little more diverse and from more unlikely people. Targeting the public whipping boy for that week as a target for your show is almost trite, no matter how good the material is. I mean, if someone is already making "I'm breaking up you with DDO (please love me)" threads, then you're really just kicking a bloke when he's down.

If you were to start including little jems from OreEle, Bossy, or even FREEDO, on the other hand (and, although these people tend to have excellent input, they aren't always the same and they aren't perfect), then you would have some real controversy going (which is something from which I notice you feed) on top of what would likely be a much more wildly popular show. I mean, appearing in the weekly stupid shouldn't be an assessment of someone's character or ideologies. It should simply point out stupid or otherwise hilarious commentary from whomever they happen to derive.

Ouch...

I have an idea though (maybe someone already said it, I have a problem with reading through all the posts before I post mine). Put up just the quotes without saying who actually said them. Let people vote on that for the award thingie, then next week you can reveal the sources of the previous week.

I thought about doing that, but since I keep meticulous records about who has appeared on the show for the stats pages at the end of each episode mostly by looking back at old episodes I thought tat sooner or later I would mess up and lose count.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:38:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 11:26:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:43:12 PM, Ren wrote:
Oh my goshness, this is so much. You must be so upset.

Well, I don't know what anyone said to you, but there's two things I have to say about your show. First, it's rather well-executed, especially given when I imagine to be the production materials you have at your disposal. On the other hand, I think that your selection should be a little more diverse and from more unlikely people. Targeting the public whipping boy for that week as a target for your show is almost trite, no matter how good the material is. I mean, if someone is already making "I'm breaking up you with DDO (please love me)" threads, then you're really just kicking a bloke when he's down.

If you were to start including little jems from OreEle, Bossy, or even FREEDO, on the other hand (and, although these people tend to have excellent input, they aren't always the same and they aren't perfect), then you would have some real controversy going (which is something from which I notice you feed) on top of what would likely be a much more wildly popular show. I mean, appearing in the weekly stupid shouldn't be an assessment of someone's character or ideologies. It should simply point out stupid or otherwise hilarious commentary from whomever they happen to derive.

Ouch...

I have an idea though (maybe someone already said it, I have a problem with reading through all the posts before I post mine). Put up just the quotes without saying who actually said them. Let people vote on that for the award thingie, then next week you can reveal the sources of the previous week.

The problem is that you can just Google any of the quotes and find out that way. Plus, half the quotes on the show are known by most people beforehand (including who said them) because they attract attention. There's not much of a point to hiding the names.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:40:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

How is putting a quote on a video enforcing a "finality"?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 3:30:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The main issue I have with the weekly stupid is that it essentially makes fun of people without their consent. Whether or not it violates the terms of service is a grey area though. It would be interesting to see whether a "trial" would be conducted for it and how it turns out.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 5:09:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 10:57:40 PM, Maikuru wrote:
When some of our saner, more measured members start complaining about the WS, then it's time to take a step back. Till then

http://www.blogcdn.com...

Thanks . . .
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 5:57:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/15/2012 1:40:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

How is putting a quote on a video enforcing a "finality"?

It isn't a place where you can argue with it. He calls it stupid and then moves on, and so therefore it is stupid somehow. Maybe if he ended every quote with, this is just my opinion, and renamed the show to "what imabench thinks is stupid", then perhaps it wouldn't be so annoyingly assertive. That's what I mean by "finality".
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:10:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/15/2012 5:57:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/15/2012 1:40:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

How is putting a quote on a video enforcing a "finality"?

It isn't a place where you can argue with it. He calls it stupid and then moves on, and so therefore it is stupid somehow. Maybe if he ended every quote with, this is just my opinion, and renamed the show to "what imabench thinks is stupid", then perhaps it wouldn't be so annoyingly assertive. That's what I mean by "finality".

How about he just runs everything by you first, you know for verification that it's stupid? Then he wouldn't have to make a disclaimer that it's his opinion as it will have been vetted by you as fact.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:21:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/15/2012 1:40:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

How is putting a quote on a video enforcing a "finality"?

He has everybody label it as stupid, mocks you, and if you dare contest it, he harasses you. I have evidence that he will harass people if they even try to explain what they were saying and it really isn't stupid.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:11:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/15/2012 5:57:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/15/2012 1:40:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

How is putting a quote on a video enforcing a "finality"?

It isn't a place where you can argue with it. He calls it stupid and then moves on, and so therefore it is stupid somehow. Maybe if he ended every quote with, this is just my opinion, and renamed the show to "what imabench thinks is stupid", then perhaps it wouldn't be so annoyingly assertive. That's what I mean by "finality".

You're more then welcome to make your own podcast and explain why everything I post isn't stupid, no one is stopping you but yourself ike
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:14:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/15/2012 6:21:58 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/15/2012 1:40:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

How is putting a quote on a video enforcing a "finality"?

He has everybody label it as stupid, mocks you, and if you dare contest it, he harasses you. I have evidence that he will harass people if they even try to explain what they were saying and it really isn't stupid.

All horsesh*t.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:15:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/15/2012 6:10:39 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 11/15/2012 5:57:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/15/2012 1:40:17 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:28:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who the hell cares how you select them? The fact of the matter is that this is a debating website. Period. Anything that ridicules other members' opinions in the un-contravened finality of a public video is toxic to our purposes. And you don't simply not watch the video the same way you don't simply "not listen" when people are trying to insult you.

So, in every sense of what's good for the site and what makes sense, you should willingly choose to stop making those videos,...not that anyone should force you. They weren't ever all that funny, by the way.

How is putting a quote on a video enforcing a "finality"?

It isn't a place where you can argue with it. He calls it stupid and then moves on, and so therefore it is stupid somehow. Maybe if he ended every quote with, this is just my opinion, and renamed the show to "what imabench thinks is stupid", then perhaps it wouldn't be so annoyingly assertive. That's what I mean by "finality".

How about he just runs everything by you first, you know for verification that it's stupid? Then he wouldn't have to make a disclaimer that it's his opinion as it will have been vetted by you as fact.

Because Ike is the last person I would ever talk to about facts.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:39:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 10:21:11 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Ren, did you just say that I have excellent input?

lul

Imabench, keep on trucking.

???

You do... I enjoy reading your posts. Is that weird? I enjoy most people's posts.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:51:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/14/2012 11:26:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/14/2012 8:43:12 PM, Ren wrote:
Oh my goshness, this is so much. You must be so upset.

Well, I don't know what anyone said to you, but there's two things I have to say about your show. First, it's rather well-executed, especially given when I imagine to be the production materials you have at your disposal. On the other hand, I think that your selection should be a little more diverse and from more unlikely people. Targeting the public whipping boy for that week as a target for your show is almost trite, no matter how good the material is. I mean, if someone is already making "I'm breaking up you with DDO (please love me)" threads, then you're really just kicking a bloke when he's down.

If you were to start including little jems from OreEle, Bossy, or even FREEDO, on the other hand (and, although these people tend to have excellent input, they aren't always the same and they aren't perfect), then you would have some real controversy going (which is something from which I notice you feed) on top of what would likely be a much more wildly popular show. I mean, appearing in the weekly stupid shouldn't be an assessment of someone's character or ideologies. It should simply point out stupid or otherwise hilarious commentary from whomever they happen to derive.

Ouch...

Oh, come on, I said it would be unlikely. It would be a surprise. :(

I named three of my favorite posters. You guys draw me to threads. So, I'm sure if we find some of the funnier things you've said, they'd actually be more interesting... all three of you tend to be pretty funny, and you say silly things sometimes, no?

Sigh. Sorry. Forget I said anything. >.>
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:54:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/15/2012 8:48:22 AM, drafterman wrote:
I'm annoyed at how you pronounce "paladin"

im working on that... Its a bad habit of mine
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015