Jump to topic:

The "Circle Jerk" Problem

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:45:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've had this criticism before, and I just read it in another thread, so I wanted to open up this idea to the rest of DDO.

Do you think that DDO tends to suffer the problem that threads many times either are initiated as, or devolve into, a circle jerk?

Definition of "circle jerk" from the Urban Dictionary:

3) A useless discussion or meeting involving mental masturbation whereby the egotistical, boring participants try to demonstrate they're the smartest persons in the room.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:52:57 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:45:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I've had this criticism before, and I just read it in another thread, so I wanted to open up this idea to the rest of DDO.

Do you think that DDO tends to suffer the problem that threads many times either are initiated as, or devolve into, a circle jerk?

3) A useless discussion or meeting involving mental masturbation whereby the egotistical, boring participants try to demonstrate they're the smartest persons in the room.

No, not anywhere near as much as leftist forums.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:54:16 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:52:57 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Yea, *jerk* we're so awesome *jerk* *jerk* *jerk*
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:57:19 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:54:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:

If we are circle jerking, I wanna be across from you Kirmy. ;)
kfc
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:57:32 PM
I mean, not always...but sometimes it does. And sometimes it gets very bad and very annoying. If you want to see an example of a circlejerk on DDO, start a thread pertaining to either secession, drone strikes, Obamacare, or gun control. There are certainly many more that don't immediately come to mind.

The problem is that the site just goes in the same direction. People that come in here and are persistently moderate or leftwing gravitate to the right. I don't believe this is because of some grand correctness of those ideologies, I think it's just a desire to "fit in" and be dramatically inducted into the reigning crowd, sometimes this is on purpose, other times it occurs subconsciously...OR people are more easily persuaded because the preexisting right-wing majority leaves other opinions grossly underrepresented, and in the ubiquitous persistence of certain ideas, whatever conviction you had about anything that wasn't right-wing, would begin to soften, if not fall entirely. And so the trend continues.

So, yes, I will say the site has a "circle jerk" problem, and it's apparently contagious.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:59:54 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:57:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
I mean, not always...but sometimes it does. And sometimes it gets very bad and very annoying. If you want to see an example of a circlejerk on DDO, start a thread pertaining to either secession, drone strikes, Obamacare, or gun control. There are certainly many more that don't immediately come to mind.

The problem is that the site just goes in the same direction. People that come in here and are persistently moderate or leftwing gravitate to the right. I don't believe this is because of some grand correctness of those ideologies, I think it's just a desire to "fit in" and be dramatically inducted into the reigning crowd, sometimes this is on purpose, other times it occurs subconsciously...OR people are more easily persuaded because the preexisting right-wing majority leaves other opinions grossly underrepresented, and in the ubiquitous persistence of certain ideas, whatever conviction you had about anything that wasn't right-wing, would begin to soften, if not fall entirely. And so the trend continues.

So, yes, I will say the site has a "circle jerk" problem, and it's apparently contagious.

Disclaimer: This whole trend pertains to active forum members. So please don't bring up any ridiculous demographic from the site's statistics, or any political compass from Ore_ele's albums.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:00:48 PM
Depends. I never see it in the philosophy section (says something?) Happens more in the politics section (from what I've observed in my stalking that section) and to a lesser extent, the religion. But I think there's more religious diversity than political on this site. It tends to happen when there's majorities and political debates can get heated.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:01:13 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:59:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

Disclaimer: This whole trend pertains to active forum members. So please don't bring up any ridiculous demographic from the site's statistics, or any political compass from Ore_ele's albums.

Well, to be fair, the political compasses are compiled FROM active members. That's how Ore_Ele gets his scores. People post their scores.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:02:47 PM
Actually I was kind of circle jerked in the philosophy section once. But they all stopped responding so I think I won that one :P
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:06:23 PM

I doubt many people that come here care much about fitting in based upon belief. Seems this is more an avenue for people to express their different and sometimes radical opinions.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:13:59 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:01:13 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 11/15/2012 6:59:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

Well, to be fair, the political compasses are compiled FROM active members. That's how Ore_Ele gets his scores. People post their scores.

People that don't speak often in the forums or political forum do submit their coordinates on the political compass. For example: Cobo, Headphonegut, Blackhawk, Anarcho, Feverish, Curious18, Unitedandy from the most recent political compass with names http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:15:13 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:02:47 PM, phantom wrote:
Actually I was kind of circle jerked in the philosophy section once. But they all stopped responding so I think I won that one :P

There was a circle jerk in a recent thread on psychological egoism. I posted a refutation, the guy conceded, and like eight guys came in talking about how kewl that was that he could do it. The closest thing we've ever come to though.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:17:01 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:15:13 PM, socialpinko wrote:

There was a circle jerk in a recent thread on psychological egoism. I posted a refutation, the guy conceded, and like eight guys came in talking about how kewl that was that he could do it. The closest thing we've ever come to though.

Who was arguing against psychological egoism, you or this person?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:17:59 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:06:23 PM, phantom wrote:

I doubt many people that come here care much about fitting in based upon belief. Seems this is more an avenue for people to express their different and sometimes radical opinions.

This. I'm kind of tired of people posting shallow psycho-analyzations to explain what appears at first sight to be a "right wing" majority on the site. On that note, why group the right wing at all? It's far from homogenous. There are conservatives, libertarians, and AnCaps "on the right". I've never seen an anarchist complain about a statist majority on the site, probs because we're not dumb enough to think of statists as part of some singular monolithic tribe.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:18:12 PM

this, somewhat.
signature
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:19:02 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:17:01 PM, 000ike wrote:

Me. He equivocated between actions which fulfill our personal desires and those which conform to our personal values. I called this out and he conceded like a gentleman.
:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:21:16 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:17:59 PM, socialpinko wrote:

This. I'm kind of tired of people posting shallow psycho-analyzations to explain what appears at first sight to be a "right wing" majority on the site. On that note, why group the right wing at all? It's far from homogenous. There are conservatives, libertarians, and AnCaps "on the right". I've never seen an anarchist complain about a statist majority on the site, probs because we're not dumb enough to think of statists as part of some singular monolithic tribe.

That's nice. Except that you're generally in concord on the wedge issues I mentioned at the outset of my response. So whatever ideological distinctions you may have don't show through in any palpable form....which justifies me associating you with them.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:22:01 PM

Lol, but actually I had like 8 people arguing against me on certainty at around the same time recently but most of it (definitely not all) was good discussion so I don't know how close that would be to a circle jerk.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:30:06 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:19:02 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Me. He equivocated between actions which fulfill our personal desires and those which conform to our personal values. I called this out and he conceded like a gentleman.

He shouldn't have. It's distinction without a difference. Moral desires are inextricably entrenched in values because the values dictate what desires shall be....and how can one value an action that he does not desire to occur or perform? You could say you value helping an injured squirrel in the wild, but would not desire to take it to a Vet,...but you take it to a vet anyway. However, all that means is that your desire to help outweighed your desire to be lazy. So, an action that conforms to personal values is in fact an action that fulfills a desire.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:30:13 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:21:16 PM, 000ike wrote:

That's nice. Except that you're generally in concord on the wedge issues I mentioned at the outset of my response. So whatever ideological distinctions you may have don't show through in any palpable form....which justifies me associating you with them.

(1) You didn't respond to the fact that your psycho-analyzation is hallow and unsubstantiated so I guess you dropped it. (2) Let's look at the topics you posted. "Drone strikes"- yeah I hear conservatives are totes anti-war these days. "Secession"- Citrakaya, FREEDO, Stephen-Hawkins, Drafter, Zaradi, and Ober don't exist I suppose. But it's more fun I suppose to play the victim. Obamacare and gun control I'll give you though.
:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:31:48 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:30:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/15/2012 7:19:02 PM, socialpinko wrote:

He shouldn't have. It's distinction without a difference. Moral desires are inextricably entrenched in values because the values dictate what desires shall be....and how can one value an action that he does not desire to occur or perform? You could say you value helping an injured squirrel in the wild, but would not desire to take it to a Vet,...but you take it to a vet anyway. However, all that means is that your desire to help outweighed your desire to be lazy. So, an action that conforms to personal values is in fact an action that fulfills a desire.

Our values are just a word for what motivates us. I value altruism maybe so that motivates me to give to charity. There's a difference between that and desire qua things we want for ourselves.
:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:36:44 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:30:13 PM, socialpinko wrote:

(1) You didn't respond to the fact that your psycho-analyzation is hallow and unsubstantiated so I guess you dropped it.
It wasn't an argument. It was a random, unsubstantiated comment that didn't warrant any kind of reply. Maybe you just want me to dignify it or something?

(2) Let's look at the topics you posted. "Drone strikes"- yeah I hear conservatives are totes anti-war these days. "Secession"- Citrakaya, FREEDO, Stephen-Hawkins, Drafter, Zaradi, and Ober don't exist I suppose. But it's more fun I suppose to play the victim. Obamacare and gun control I'll give you though.

(1) Oh really? Name a conservative that has defended Obama's drone strikes. Go ahead, I dare you.

(2) most of whom made one comment in the most recent secession thread and didn't speak thereafter. But fine, I'll give you this one....but I do hope you understand that that doesn't really defeat my point in any way. There ARE topics that elicit broad-range agreement between you and statists you want to disassociate yourself with. So whining that one of the issues I mentioned isn't so unified, doesn't damage anything about the argument I've presented here.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 7:40:07 PM
At 11/15/2012 7:36:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/15/2012 7:30:13 PM, socialpinko wrote:

(1) You didn't respond to the fact that your psycho-analyzation is hallow and unsubstantiated so I guess you dropped it.
It wasn't an argument. It was a random, unsubstantiated comment that didn't warrant any kind of reply. Maybe you just want me to dignify it or something?

(2) Let's look at the topics you posted. "Drone strikes"- yeah I hear conservatives are totes anti-war these days. "Secession"- Citrakaya, FREEDO, Stephen-Hawkins, Drafter, Zaradi, and Ober don't exist I suppose. But it's more fun I suppose to play the victim. Obamacare and gun control I'll give you though.

(1) Oh really? Name a conservative that has defended Obama's drone strikes. Go ahead, I dare you.

Is that a SITE conservative, or just a conservative? If the latter, see below. If the former, sorry for wasting space.

http://www.washingtonpost.com... That was easy.

(2) most of whom made one comment in the most recent secession thread and didn't speak thereafter. But fine, I'll give you this one....but I do hope you understand that that doesn't really defeat my point in any way. There ARE topics that elicit broad-range agreement between you and statists you want to disassociate yourself with. So whining that one of the issues I mentioned isn't so unified, doesn't damage anything about the argument I've presented here.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2012 12:24:02 PM

Or it could be that people tend to move right as they mature. Reminds me of the old saying...

"If you're not a liberal when you're 20 then you have no heart. If you're still a liberal when you're 40 then you have no brain."

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2012 12:26:46 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:54:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:

So we can either agree, but if we disagree, that is evidence that we are, in fact, engaging in circle jerking?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2012 12:27:37 PM

If you're being circle jerked around, there is no "winning" for you.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2012 12:50:07 PM
At 11/17/2012 12:24:02 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Or it could be that people tend to move right as they mature. Reminds me of the old saying...

"If you're not a liberal when you're 20 then you have no heart. If you're still a liberal when you're 40 then you have no brain."

the whole world besides america is highly socialist. i'd say it's cos you guys are dumb and delude yourselves in how capitalism has treated ye well as ye get older.

signature
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 3:42:55 PM
This should be part of No Fap November, specifically no intellectual fapping.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 4:28:56 PM
At 11/18/2012 3:42:55 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

But I'm all alone in my political corner. My owning option is fapping with myself.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 4:30:17 PM
At 11/18/2012 4:28:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/18/2012 3:42:55 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

But I'm all alone in my political corner. My owning option is fapping with myself.

Fap with Stalin!!!
kfc