Jump to topic:

Help debating?

simpleton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2009 1:34:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi, I don't know the first thing about debate. I picked up a text book from a used book sale last week and am trying to get to the center of the ideas. I accepted a debate to heat the crucible and am now in need of guidance.

The debate is www.debate.org/debate/9632

If anyone would see fit to grant charity to an old fool, I would greatly appreciate it. As it stands, I think I'm more sizzle than steak... and that's only to fellow fools!

I don't mind losing for the sake of learning, but I think I'm on the verge of complete annihilation and I have no clue where to get a foothold.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2009 1:39:47 PM
Sorry, but alto2osu teaches debate at a school many of our users go to...

I personally don't think you stand a chance in that particular debate (with or without advice), but alto is nice, and if you ask nicely, she'll give you tips when y'all are done.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
simpleton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2009 2:22:08 PM
I'm not interested in winning. I'm interested in learning; whether it be from her, you or the students.

Would you fill in the following blank, please? You should have _____ first.

Criticism isn't good if it doesn't help construct something. I'm not entitled to anyone's help, but it doesn't make much sense to post to a request for help unless you're actually making an attempt to help.

If you just pop in saying "you stink" when I ask "will you help", it kind of changes the direction of the conversation and encourages the thread to lean toward how bad I stink rather than some suggestions on how I can stink less.

Make sense? Would you mind helping my life be a little better through improved communication by offering something constructive or would you like to leave your little part of the world in the same condition as you found it except for the addition of a comment that appears to have served no useful purpose?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2009 4:17:50 PM
Um....if you need help....actually read the textbook. Learn how to debate from television programming or another source. Really, it is quite obvious how to get better at debating. It's like everything else: learn basic needs of the skill, practice it, compete, learn more, practice, and compete. Don't make these threads begging for assistance when it is quite obvious what you can do.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2009 4:22:01 PM
Be right.

Tell us why you're right.

Tell us why your opponent's statements didn't establish the contrary.

????

Profit.

Debating isn't about following a manual. Some competitions require certain formats, but in so doing they take the focus off the actual debate :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
BrandonClark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2009 5:27:29 PM
At 10/10/2009 4:22:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Be right.

Tell us why you're right.

Tell us why your opponent's statements didn't establish the contrary.

????

Profit.

Debating isn't about following a manual. Some competitions require certain formats, but in so doing they take the focus off the actual debate :).

UNDERPANTS GNOMES!!!
BLACKHAWKS 6-5 lN OVERTIME!!!
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2009 2:34:33 PM
At 10/12/2009 1:50:38 PM, simpleton wrote:
Would someone tell me what "ov" stands for in alto's r2?

It looks like it means "overall".
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light