Posted: 4 years ago
I'm going to give a simple hypothetical analogy:

case A:

100 people vote 95 vote tie 5 vote pro

the score is 15-0

Case B:

5 people vote, and they all vote pro

the score is 15 - 0

In case B pro did better than case A. / In case A Con did better than case B.

But they both get have the same score.

Theoretically, there should be some formula/algorithm to take "Tie" votes into account.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 1:47:54 PM
It doesn't matter if he did better or not. The only way points should matter is if he did good enough. If he got ties, he didn't do good enough. In both cases, he did not perform well enough.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 3:41:05 PM
This is one reason DDO should use the Elo rating system. Let's say a debate gets voted on between you and RoyLatham (one of the site's best debaters), and the score results in a 23-23 point tie. Your Elo rating should increase and Roy's should decrease.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 4:05:24 PM
Many troll debates or debates that people want to do without having the pressure of winning end in ties. Making them count forces us to discount those scenarios.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:07:52 PM
At 11/25/2012 3:41:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
This is one reason DDO should use the Elo rating system. Let's say a debate gets voted on between you and RoyLatham (one of the site's best debaters), and the score results in a 23-23 point tie. Your Elo rating should increase and Roy's should decrease.

Ties don't and shouldn't count.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:08:11 PM
At 11/25/2012 5:07:52 PM, phantom wrote:

(In Elo)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:11:08 PM
At 11/25/2012 4:05:24 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Many troll debates or debates that people want to do without having the pressure of winning end in ties. Making them count forces us to discount those scenarios.

This. And I have a few debates where my opponent forfeited every round but it ended in a tie because I didn't post it in the ff thread. There are a lot of debates like that especially considering a lot of people don't know about the thread. It would skew the rankings significantly.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 2:36:21 AM

Ties do count and they should count for good reason.

Let's say you have RoyLatham with an Elo of 2500 and a n00b with an Elo of 500 debating. Let's say the voting period ends with a non-zero tie at like 17-17, the n00b gets the points in the Elo system (because of calculations that you can do here: http://bzstats.strayer.de...) and should get the points, because RoyLatham is the expected winner of that debate based on his rating by almost 1.0 probability. If it is a tie, that means the n00b outperformed the expectation tremendously. Again, you can test this on the site I've provided or work the equation out by hand. To further confirm it, you can play a game that ends in a draw/stalemate on chess.com and observe the subsequent flow of points.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 2:58:11 AM
At 11/26/2012 2:36:21 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Ties do count and they should count for good reason.

Let's say you have RoyLatham with an Elo of 2500 and a n00b with an Elo of 500 debating. Let's say the voting period ends with a non-zero tie at like 17-17, the n00b gets the points in the Elo system (because of calculations that you can do here: http://bzstats.strayer.de...) and should get the points, because RoyLatham is the expected winner of that debate based on his rating by almost 1.0 probability. If it is a tie, that means the n00b outperformed the expectation tremendously. Again, you can test this on the site I've provided or work the equation out by hand. To further confirm it, you can play a game that ends in a draw/stalemate on chess.com and observe the subsequent flow of points.

OreEle's confirmed that ties aren't taken into account. He must use a different version to normal Elo.

And they definitely shouldn't count for reasons Royal said and I stated earlier. A large amount of debates end up with one side forfeiting the whole debate and then it ends in a draw since no one sees the debate. I've had a couple like that. My Elo score would suffer just because two complete noobs forfeited the whole debate and I didn't post it in the forfeit thread. That seems drastically unfair.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 3:01:27 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks that this guy wants tied debates to count JUST so that he can boost his win percentage up from 5.89%?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:44:15 AM
At 11/26/2012 3:01:27 AM, imabench wrote:
Am I the only one here who thinks that this guy wants tied debates to count JUST so that he can boost his win percentage up from 5.89%?

lol