Jump to topic:

Keep formatting from Word

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 9:03:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
How do I keep the color formatting when pasting from Word documents as in this debate here http://www.debate.org...

Whenever I have a word doc with color and copy and paste it, it automatically deletes the formatting. I want to keep the formatting; however, like he did.

Can someone tell me how to do this?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 9:47:43 AM
In a debate (but not elsewhere, so I can't demonstrate in this thread) there is a box with a W in it near the box that your type your reply in. For some reason, I think the W is at the top left of the box you type in. If you hover your cursor over the W, you will see something like, "Paste input copied from Word."

Click that, paste in what you typed in Word. Hope for the best. You will lose some formatting, but maybe not the color.

In fact, do a little test before you commit your post. Write the word "Italics" in Italics, and the word "Bold" in bold, and the word "Green" in green. Etcetera. See how that comes out in the review screen, so you'll have an idea of what features to rely on.

Pay attention to paragraph breaks and line spacing. You may have to do some reformatting after you paste. But pasting from word is definitely the way to go if you don't want to lose the occasional debate post.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 9:52:53 AM
At 11/26/2012 9:47:43 AM, wiploc wrote:
In a debate (but not elsewhere, so I can't demonstrate in this thread) there is a box with a W in it near the box that your type your reply in. For some reason, I think the W is at the top left of the box you type in. If you hover your cursor over the W, you will see something like, "Paste input copied from Word."

Click that, paste in what you typed in Word. Hope for the best. You will lose some formatting, but maybe not the color.

In fact, do a little test before you commit your post. Write the word "Italics" in Italics, and the word "Bold" in bold, and the word "Green" in green. Etcetera. See how that comes out in the review screen, so you'll have an idea of what features to rely on.

Pay attention to paragraph breaks and line spacing. You may have to do some reformatting after you paste. But pasting from word is definitely the way to go if you don't want to lose the occasional debate post.

Already tried that and it did not work.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 11:27:47 AM
Okay. Then,

1. You can ask CTM how he did it.

2. You can cheat, copying and from that debate, so as to capture the hidden characters, and then rewrite whatever's in green. I've tested it. It is still green after you paste it into a new debate, even though it's not green when you paste it into this thread.

If CTM tells you how he did it, please post the answer here.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 11:45:53 AM
At 11/26/2012 11:27:47 AM, wiploc wrote:
Okay. Then,

1. You can ask CTM how he did it.

2. You can cheat, copying and from that debate, so as to capture the hidden characters, and then rewrite whatever's in green. I've tested it. It is still green after you paste it into a new debate, even though it's not green when you paste it into this thread.

If CTM tells you how he did it, please post the answer here.

Strange. I can keep the coloring if I paste it from the internet (i.e., blogger, or google documents), but not if I paste it from word!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 1:05:00 PM
Are you sure you're using the Paste-from-Word button. I just tested this sentence, written in Word:

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid.

"the time" was highlighted yellow.
"for all" was written in red.
"good men" was in Batang font.

It all came thru perfectly as far as the Review screen. (I'm not going further than the Review screen, because that would actually start a debate consisting of nothing more than the words, "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid.")
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 1:09:21 PM
At 11/26/2012 1:05:00 PM, wiploc wrote:
Are you sure you're using the Paste-from-Word button. I just tested this sentence, written in Word:

"the time" was highlighted yellow.
"for all" was written in red.
"good men" was in Batang font.

It all came thru perfectly as far as the Review screen. (I'm not going further than the Review screen, because that would actually start a debate consisting of nothing more than the words, "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid.")

Yes I am positive. I'll post a screen cast.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 1:15:05 PM
You know what? I forgot to use the Paste-from-Word button myself. So I've tried it again both ways, and it looks the same. Well, when I get to the Review screen, the spacing is different. Like this:

I used the Paste-from-Word button on the middle one.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 1:17:25 PM
At 11/26/2012 1:15:05 PM, wiploc wrote:
You know what? I forgot to use the Paste-from-Word button myself. So I've tried it again both ways, and it looks the same. Well, when I get to the Review screen, the spacing is different. Like this:

I used the Paste-from-Word button on the middle one.

Figured out my problem: I'm using headings that have colour. Apparently, if you use headings that it doesn't save the colour.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD