Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is Mafia and why is it important to DDO?

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:03:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is something we at Juggle need to further understand when moving forward with enhancements to the site. What is Mafia, how does it work, who plays it, and how is it significant to the overall functioning of the site?

Thank you!
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:07:42 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:03:59 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
This is something we at Juggle need to further understand when moving forward with enhancements to the site. What is Mafia, how does it work, who plays it, and how is it significant to the overall functioning of the site?

Thank you!

Lol, peanut butter is generally immoral.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:07:47 PM
It's an awesome psychology game and you guys should buy EpicMafia off lucidrains for millions of dollars and give me a finders fee.
signature
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:09:29 PM
Mafia is a game that is played often on DDO. In mafia, there is a game moderator who assigns roles for player. The two major teams are mafia and town. Nobody knows one another's role. In the day phase, players decide who they are going to lynch. Once someone is lynched, they are dead and nobody plays. In the night phase, the mafia goes and kills someone from the town or a third party. Other events can occur in the night as well. If there is a doctor, he/she can protect a player from lynching. An investigator can investigate someone if they are guilty or innocent.
The next day, the role of the lynched players and those that died are revealed.

Game ends either if the mafia kills all the town players, or the town kills all the mafia.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:09:31 PM
Go play a few games on Epicmafia and you'll see. Be warned, though, it's really not a game of randomly guessing. At least not for some :3
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:11:59 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:09:31 PM, badger wrote:
Go play a few games on Epicmafia and you'll see. Be warned, though, it's really not a game of randomly guessing. At least not for some :3

Games can take like 10-15 minutes over there and it's pretty much the exact same thing as you have on forums.
signature
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:27:27 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:11:59 PM, badger wrote:

Games can take like 10-15 minutes over there and it's pretty much the exact same thing as you have on forums.

Not really. DDO is more analytical.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:30:32 PM
Think of it like the jelly in a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:33:08 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:27:27 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Games can be analytical on Epicmafia, they just usually aren't. The only really major difference is that Epicmafia games usually have setups everyone is aware of, which is only sometimes the case on DDO.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:33:13 PM

DDO is WAY more focused on actually debating I suppose. There are several hundred post arguments over whether or not someone is scum, while on EpicMafia, its just "Um, he's scum." LYNCH!!!!

badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:36:13 PM
Sorry for possibly directing traffic away from this site, but that place really is awesome. I learned so much over there it's unreal. Like, for example, this year my family are doing Secret Santa and I know who everyone got just from the conversation afterwards, lol. It's fun coming across magical :3 The easily had experiences and quick confirmations to go with them over there really teach you a lot. And then there's the manipulation side, too. :3
signature
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:39:12 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:03:59 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:

Thank you!

It can't be explained. You gotta play it to know it, i.e. at least play a few games. I don't know if you check your profile comments but I once asked you to come join.

Anyways, if you want a short version, this guide by tvellalott covers the basics: https://debate.org...

If you want a more detailed explanation, mafiascum.net has a wiki where they explain the details: http://wiki.mafiascum.net...

But really the best way is to just play a couple of games (although it is pretty much guaranteed that you will be addicted and aren't going to stop at a couple of games).

You can sign up for any games that are going on right now that are taking signups in the games forum.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:41:06 PM
People lie, tell the truth and manipulate much the same way over here as the do on Epicmafia. I've seen it. The only real difference over here is the length of games and the freedom of posting.
signature
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:41:49 PM
75% of players are good guys and 25% are bad guys. The good guys win by finding out which players are bad, and the bad guys win by not being found out.

Thats it in a nutshell.

As far as Juggle goes, I don't think mafia is something that needs a lot of attention from the company. It mostly takes care of itself.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:42:08 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:09:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Mafia is a game that is played often on DDO. In mafia, there is a game moderator who assigns roles for player. The two major teams are mafia and town. Nobody knows one another's role. In the day phase, players decide who they are going to lynch. Once someone is lynched, they are dead and nobody plays. In the night phase, the mafia goes and kills someone from the town or a third party. Other events can occur in the night as well. If there is a doctor, he/she can protect a player from lynching. An investigator can investigate someone if they are guilty or innocent.
The next day, the role of the lynched players and those that died are revealed.

Game ends either if the mafia kills all the town players, or the town kills all the mafia.

Im not much of a mafia player but from what I know, mafia games are basically role playing strategy games that people on DDO are assigned once they enter a mafia game. Mafia though has since spawned numerous other versions where game moderators can make their own custom mafia games with a different style to each of them.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:44:51 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:41:06 PM, badger wrote:
People lie, tell the truth and manipulate much the same way over here as the do on Epicmafia. I've seen it. The only real difference over here is the length of games and the freedom of posting.

There's an example of how someone tells the truth as opposed to lies in this post, for example, which I've seen of players in socialpinko's game in my brief reading through it :3
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:47:24 PM
That over here the games are themed and the roles not set doesn't really make a difference. That's just more stuff to lie, tell the truth about and manipulate with.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:49:39 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:33:08 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Games can be analytical on Epicmafia, they just usually aren't. The only really major difference is that Epicmafia games usually have setups everyone is aware of, which is only sometimes the case on DDO.

Who are you over there? You remind me of someone :P
signature
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:56:26 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:49:39 PM, badger wrote:
At 11/26/2012 4:33:08 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Who are you over there? You remind me of someone :P

Same username. I suck at mafia, though, and haven't played it lately.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 4:59:54 PM
I guess the main question I had, and this is even just me as a DDO user rather than a Juggle rep, is how it ties in to the overall "theme" of the site as an intellectually stimulating community. Is critical thinking involved? From what I can gather here, it is. I suppose that in order to truly understand the extent to which it challenges the intellect I would have to play it myself, as suggested here (I like the Secret Santa anecdocte, btw).

From a Juggle standpoint, is there anything you can think of that we could ever potentially do that would inhibit users' ability to play Mafia in any way? Obviously, we would want to try and avoid those things if possible, and it would probably be useful for us to have a list of things that have a bearing on how Mafia works. For instance, I think I remember an enhancement that was once suggested but was ultimately shot down because it would have a negative impact on Mafia. Does that make any sense?

Thank you!
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:10:19 PM
At 11/26/2012 4:59:54 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
I guess the main question I had, and this is even just me as a DDO user rather than a Juggle rep, is how it ties in to the overall "theme" of the site as an intellectually stimulating community. Is critical thinking involved? From what I can gather here, it is. I suppose that in order to truly understand the extent to which it challenges the intellect I would have to play it myself, as suggested here (I like the Secret Santa anecdocte, btw).

From a Juggle standpoint, is there anything you can think of that we could ever potentially do that would inhibit users' ability to play Mafia in any way? Obviously, we would want to try and avoid those things if possible, and it would probably be useful for us to have a list of things that have a bearing on how Mafia works. For instance, I think I remember an enhancement that was once suggested but was ultimately shot down because it would have a negative impact on Mafia. Does that make any sense?

Thank you!

Critical thinking IS involved in mafia, but I don't know if you could do much to hinder the experience...

Although I can see the scenario of people editing their posts in mafia after they've made a slip, were you ever to implement the possibility. So, if you were to make ot possible to edit our posts, the Games forum should be excluded from that.

Other than that, I can't think of much that would make mafia worse.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:11:14 PM
So long as you can have an informed minority against an uninformed majority you've got a game. Bar removing private messages, I'd say no.
signature
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:24:15 PM
Yes, editing posts! That's what it was. Do a lot of people want that ability, anyway? Seems to me like it would lead to trouble, with or without Mafia.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:25:46 PM
At 11/26/2012 5:10:19 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Thank you!

Critical thinking IS involved in mafia, but I don't know if you could do much to hinder the experience...

Although I can see the scenario of people editing their posts in mafia after they've made a slip, were you ever to implement the possibility. So, if you were to make ot possible to edit our posts, the Games forum should be excluded from that.

Or make a little marker showing when they edited it and at what time on the bottom.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:26:53 PM
At 11/26/2012 5:24:15 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
Yes, editing posts! That's what it was. Do a lot of people want that ability, anyway? Seems to me like it would lead to trouble, with or without Mafia.

no, i personally don't want an edit button. at the very least, one's edit history should be shown. It would lead to people lying about what they "really said" through editing their posts. I like having the record.
Open borders debate:
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:28:00 PM
At 11/26/2012 5:25:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 11/26/2012 5:10:19 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Thank you!

Or make a little marker showing when they edited it and at what time on the bottom.

People could still say stuff like "I edited a typo or fixed grammar." Unless you get the ability to view previous versions of the message, it would be kinda useless.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac