Jump to topic:

cross examination

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 3:58:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I wish there were a way to incorporate cross examination in our debates where each sides gets the ask the other questions. That would make things more interesting.

We could do it with the current format. For example:

round 1: openings
round 2: rebuttals
round 3: Pro asks Con three questions, then Con asks Pro three questions.
round 4: Pro answers Con's questions, then Con answers Pro's questions.
round 5: Conclusions

The only problem is that it's better to ask one question at a time since the Socratic method works by building on the answers to previous questions, and that's how cross examination works in a courtroom. You don't necessarily know what you're going to ask next until you get the answer to your previous question.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 4:54:01 PM
The best way to incorporate this would be some sort of real-time chat based system. But I don't know how well that would work.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:21:01 PM
At 12/5/2012 3:58:04 PM, philochristos wrote:
I wish there were a way to incorporate cross examination in our debates where each sides gets the ask the other questions. That would make things more interesting.

We could do it with the current format. For example:

round 1: openings
round 2: rebuttals
round 3: Pro asks Con three questions, then Con asks Pro three questions.
round 4: Pro answers Con's questions, then Con answers Pro's questions.
round 5: Conclusions

The only problem is that it's better to ask one question at a time since the Socratic method works by building on the answers to previous questions, and that's how cross examination works in a courtroom. You don't necessarily know what you're going to ask next until you get the answer to your previous question.

There is a way to do this:
Stipulate it in your challenge. Failure to abide by these rules result in a loss.

As far as the three questions go. You could PM those and copy and paste the responses.
My work here is, finally, done.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:25:05 PM
You could use the comments section.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 9:08:54 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:25:05 PM, phantom wrote:

Now there's an idea.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 9:10:50 PM
At 12/5/2012 9:08:54 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 12/5/2012 8:25:05 PM, phantom wrote:

Now there's an idea.

Actually I think thett added the option in some of his debates a while back.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)