Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Character Limit Glitch

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:15:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So MouthWash decided to post a 21,000+ character round (which is almost 3x the usual characters allowed). Obviously he utilized the character limit glitch to go above the site's maximum allowance, which is fine because I agreed to debate under the terms that character limits would not be enforced (I didn't even notice - I probably should have challenged that because I highly doubt ANYONE will want to read such a long-winded, stupid debate). Though I intend on keeping my rounds to a minimum, I assume I'm going to have to use well above 8K characters in order to craft a rebuttal to his argument. Can someone tell me how to use the glitch? Plz and thanks.

Ps. I think the ability to make an argument concisely is incredibly useful and important as an orator. This is admittedly one of the areas where I struggle the most (though I was never so desperate to use as many characters as MouthWash deems necessary, it seems :/ ). The character limit has challenged me over the years, and I believe I have become an overall better speaker both here and IRL because of it (though I'm still pretty verbose). I have to admit that Sieben was hands down one of the most talented people I have come across who could get a point across and make an argument in the shortest amount of time/length.
President of DDO
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:21:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
this doesn't answer your question, but...nothing annoys me more than people that think that writing a lot and posting a lot of sources makes them or their arguments look good. It's such a vapid and small-minded tactic that I almost feel compelled to not read it, and just knock the debater down a good 5 points just for trying such nonsense.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:21:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Write the article in an external text editor. Copy it and paste it in Rich Text Format and then switch to normal format without changing anything.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:26:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Type out the round some place else, copy paste it into the rich text and then switch to plain text. I may have the plain and rich text mixed up, but it was essentially that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:26:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I hate it when my internet net is slow and someone already has posted what I was going to say.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:37:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
8k is already way too much, particularly over 3-5 rounds (3, 4, or 5) x 2 x 8,000 = tl;dr

How anyone has the time to write, never-mind read all that, is beyond me. Perhaps that's why mostly teenagers are the only ones on here...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:39:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 6:37:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
8k is already way too much, particularly over 3-5 rounds (3, 4, or 5) x 2 x 8,000 = tl;dr

How anyone has the time to write, never-mind read all that, is beyond me. Perhaps that's why mostly teenagers are the only ones on here...

I disagree. I would read longer debates. Just because you would doesn't mean you should impose those limits on others.

I would like a 12,000 character limit.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:45:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 6:39:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/5/2012 6:37:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
8k is already way too much, particularly over 3-5 rounds (3, 4, or 5) x 2 x 8,000 = tl;dr

How anyone has the time to write, never-mind read all that, is beyond me. Perhaps that's why mostly teenagers are the only ones on here...

I disagree. I would read longer debates. Just because you would doesn't mean you should impose those limits on others.

I would like a 12,000 character limit.

Not to sound too Jewish, but I'll give you 10,000, final offer.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 6:55:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 6:39:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/5/2012 6:37:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
8k is already way too much, particularly over 3-5 rounds (3, 4, or 5) x 2 x 8,000 = tl;dr

How anyone has the time to write, never-mind read all that, is beyond me. Perhaps that's why mostly teenagers are the only ones on here...

I disagree. I would read longer debates. Just because you would doesn't mean you should impose those limits on others.

I would like a 12,000 character limit.

The vast majority of people won't read 12,000 character debates. In fact, I can't think of any better way to instantly cripple vote quality, vote frequency, and frequency of sustained membership than making it a possibility for people to write books on DDO..... having a nice, elegant, back and forth would make the debate more interesting, more appealing, and more like a real verbal debate.

If anything, the 8,000 character limit should be reduced a lot more, and there should be more rounds per debate. Dialogue is key. Books are not.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:00:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
21k? You're only going to get vote bombs. No ones going to read that debate.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:16:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 6:45:13 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 12/5/2012 6:39:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/5/2012 6:37:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:


I would like a 12,000 character limit.

Not to sound too Jewish, but I'll give you 10,000, final offer.

smart/savvy =/= Jewish , Jewish =/= smart/savvy

Anyway getting back to the topic at hand, there actually there has been a long history of dissatisfaction with the character limits:

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

https://debate.org...

Now I am officially the master Historian of DDO.
& if you don't appoint me as such, I'll just have to appoint myself.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:39:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 6:32:43 PM, drafterman wrote:
The proper response is to burn his house down.

Lemons?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:14:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 6:55:47 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/5/2012 6:39:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/5/2012 6:37:30 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
8k is already way too much, particularly over 3-5 rounds (3, 4, or 5) x 2 x 8,000 = tl;dr

How anyone has the time to write, never-mind read all that, is beyond me. Perhaps that's why mostly teenagers are the only ones on here...

I disagree. I would read longer debates. Just because you would doesn't mean you should impose those limits on others.

I would like a 12,000 character limit.

The vast majority of people won't read 12,000 character debates. In fact, I can't think of any better way to instantly cripple vote quality, vote frequency, and frequency of sustained membership than making it a possibility for people to write books on DDO..... having a nice, elegant, back and forth would make the debate more interesting, more appealing, and more like a real verbal debate.

If anything, the 8,000 character limit should be reduced a lot more, and there should be more rounds per debate. Dialogue is key. Books are not.

I'd be willing to compromise on debates with more rounds.

5,000th characters and 10 rounds. And perhaps the ability to vote on individual rounds.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:39:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 6:32:43 PM, drafterman wrote:
The proper response is to burn his house down.

With lemons?
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 9:53:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 7:00:11 PM, phantom wrote:
21k? You're only going to get vote bombs. No ones going to read that debate.

I KNOW. He's insane. I guess he had to add this clause considering he blatantly cheated by going over the character max in our first debate (which I didn't notice until someone pointed it out, so he was dishonest about it to boot) ... And 21K+ characters was only his first round, not including my rebuttal (which will have to exceed 8K characters in order to be sufficient) plus the next few rounds. It's pretty clear that only vote bombers will vote, but since I think the whole debate is absurd (and I will already dismantle my opponent's case pretty much in R1 alone), I'm hoping that maybe a few people might volunteer to at least skim through :/
President of DDO
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 1:12:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2012 9:53:34 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/5/2012 7:00:11 PM, phantom wrote:
21k? You're only going to get vote bombs. No ones going to read that debate.

I KNOW. He's insane. I guess he had to add this clause considering he blatantly cheated by going over the character max in our first debate (which I didn't notice until someone pointed it out, so he was dishonest about it to boot) ... And 21K+ characters was only his first round, not including my rebuttal (which will have to exceed 8K characters in order to be sufficient) plus the next few rounds. It's pretty clear that only vote bombers will vote, but since I think the whole debate is absurd (and I will already dismantle my opponent's case pretty much in R1 alone), I'm hoping that maybe a few people might volunteer to at least skim through :/

1. Most of it consists of quoted material. Are you honestly suggesting that I could have cut it all down to fit in 8,000 characters?

2. Don't get cocky. I read your rebuttal and I'll answer tomorrow (twelve hour flight tonight).
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 1:25:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why can't he just accept that he's on the losing side of the proposition, and go on with his life?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
RaxsonJaine
Posts: 46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 4:02:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mouthwash should be banned, because my presidential platform basically is based on banning people.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13