Jump to topic:

Bad Voting

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:20:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm legitimately considering no longer doing formal debates here because of the bad voting habits of those who vote. I'm facing the following problems a lot:

1. Unclear and/or nonexistent RFDs
2. Basing votes off of bias and/or personal beliefs
3. Using arguments and/or information never presented in the debate to justify their RFD

All of which are conducive to unfair and/or bad voting habits. DDO seems to hold this belief that if you at least made an attempt to read the debate then your vote can be considered legitimate, but what about the gray area? What about the votes that are clearly wrong for any of the above reasons, yet it's semi-to-fairly clear he at least tried to read the debate? What happens to that? Do we just turn a blind eye to, arguably, one of the biggest problems DDO has currently? It's frustrating when you devote time of yours that could've been spent productively elsewhere crafting arguments and responses to a debate just to have people vote on what they believe and not on what was argued.

That's just my two cents. Feel free to discuss.

/endrant
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 2:32:54 PM
What I hate is people counter vote bombing something that isn't a vote bomb, it's just an excuse for them to vote bomb themselves.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 2:46:18 PM
At 12/6/2012 12:20:52 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I'm legitimately considering no longer doing formal debates here because of the bad voting habits of those who vote. I'm facing the following problems a lot:

Happens all the time.

Voting is necessarily subjective, and people judge the debate based on their background. Some more so than others.

3. Using arguments and/or information never presented in the debate to justify their RFD

This is how we recognize a biased RFD.

All of which are conducive to unfair and/or bad voting habits. DDO seems to hold this belief that if you at least made an attempt to read the debate then your vote can be considered legitimate, but what about the gray area? What about the votes that are clearly wrong for any of the above reasons, yet it's semi-to-fairly clear he at least tried to read the debate? What happens to that? Do we just turn a blind eye to, arguably, one of the biggest problems DDO has currently? It's frustrating when you devote time of yours that could've been spent productively elsewhere crafting arguments and responses to a debate just to have people vote on what they believe and not on what was argued.

/endrant

I felt this way after my faith and reason debate, but it's not going to keep me from debating in the future. My percentile on here relative to others means nothing to me, so when someone casts a ballot that comprehensively misses the point of the debate (as has been the case many times I think for us all) it's not like I'm going to get upset about it. Even less is it something that's going to keep me from debating in the future. I have read enough RFD's on here to know what to look for, but ultimately it's not the quality of he argument alone that determines who the winner and looser is. Perhaps that play's a role -as it should- but to change voting is to change people, and that's just not going to happen. I try not to talk poorly about voters unless they really just rub me the wrong way (even some of the people that I respect on here have done that) because it's going to prevent them from judging in the future. Ultimately, I want feedback -and diverse feedback.

The only thing that irritates me is when I see some voters letting the opinions of previously cast votes (especially those cast by more prominent members) influence the decisions of others. Granted, this could be me just reading into things too heavily, but I when a "big fish" drops a bomb on you, others are sure to follow. But nevertheless, that's an opportunity to learn from an area where you failed to reach people -and I do that all the time. I assume people are smarter than they are, that they see things like I do, that they know as much or more about something than I do when I am in debate mode. This often has hurt me -and it's also hurt me when I taught more than I would like to admit. The idea it to communicate to an audience in a way that speaks to them. Some people you're never going to win, but most people are not (much to my dismay) political scientists, philosophers or university professors. Some are and I know we have a few Ph. D.'s on DDO. That's fantastically cool. We have a few knuckle-dragging neanderthals -you all know who you are, lol. We have one few troll who thinks s/he (I won't use gender specific terminology here) is much smarter than s/he are -which is a constant source of amusement. We have even more trolls who are just out to have fun, and that's great too. We also have a lot of people with experiences in life from a plethora of backgrounds and that's a perspective that's valuable, no matter how far out of left field it came from.

There is, I think though, an ethics which ought to govern voting expectations. Voters give their best to judging the debate and debaters respect their decisions. Granted, I've not always followed that, but it is what it is. We all fall short. The point is that we shouldn't let that get us down.
Tsar of DDO
RaxsonJaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 4:00:37 PM
I think voting should be a privilege that is only awarded to male land owners.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 7:22:38 AM
At 12/6/2012 12:20:52 PM, Zaradi wrote:

/endrant

Fixed.

At 12/6/2012 4:00:37 PM, RaxsonJaine wrote:
I think voting should be a privilege that is only awarded to male land owners.

+1. There ain't no land to get here.
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:15:22 AM
At 12/6/2012 2:32:54 PM, BennyW wrote:
What I hate is people counter vote bombing something that isn't a vote bomb, it's just an excuse for them to vote bomb themselves.

Lol emospongebob immediately came to mind.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:18:30 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:15:22 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

What?
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:22:12 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:18:30 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:

What?

Don't you "what" me. I've seen you countering votes that don't need countering. You actually just did it to me about a minute ago I see.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:30:46 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:22:12 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

What?

Don't you "what" me. I've seen you countering votes that don't need countering. You actually just did it to me about a minute ago I see.

Care to debate that?
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:05:15 PM
At 12/8/2012 11:30:46 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:

What?

Care to debate that?

After re-checking your voting history, you actually have a lot of questionable votes.

I'll debate you if that's what you want, but you'll lose. Badly. Your call.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:18:50 PM
At 12/8/2012 12:05:15 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 12/8/2012 11:30:46 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:

What?

Care to debate that?

After re-checking your voting history, you actually have a lot of questionable votes.

I'll debate you if that's what you want, but you'll lose. Badly. Your call.

Ok, but the subject will be: All of my counter-votebombs have reasonable ground.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 5:31:26 PM
Before you chuck the whole thing in there are some other options to consider.

1) Do debates where you ask no one to vote. (Maybe non vote debate could be an option on DDO in the future)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12