Jump to topic:

Noobs who know too mauch

BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 1:08:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Have you ever had this experience? You are talking to or debating a new user who seems to know quite a lot about how the site works even though they just opened their account a day ago.
Secondly you talk to a user who doesn't seem very bright but then when you debate them they are quite the competent debtor, almost like someone is helping them or writing the debate for them.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 1:32:28 AM
The title should be noobs who know too much but the way it is now makes for great irony.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 1:56:36 AM
Idk, it didn't take me long to figure things out. I'd wager 99% of the good debaters on this site where good as soon as they joined (maybe not as good as they are are, but still notably skilled). I've yet to see someone join this site, bomb their first several debates, and then make a come-back and turn out to be great.

There's a pretty wide gap between the "n00bs" and the people who are just simply new.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 7:27:07 AM
I'm sketchy of any noob who comes here and wins a debate against an experienced member. The ettique here is a different set from how people normally debate there friends and family. But iit is possible someone did research, or just is highly intelligent.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 5:01:44 PM
Right, isn't obvious that everyone on here has the internet at their fingertips? If I don't know what non-locality is, I can immediately have an expert opinion on it just by going to wiki.

Big topics like atheism, has layers & layers of arguments back and forth. When you get down to it, it's very hard to prove atheism or theism... of course there's fresh sound-bitish jabs from either side... but those are worthless. See Dawkins bus,

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."

Charming, any deeper investigation reveals science also build the atomic bomb and religion also built hospitals after...

I've yet to see a thought provoking argument on this sight of originality.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 5:13:06 PM
At 12/7/2012 1:08:59 AM, BennyW wrote:
Have you ever had this experience? You are talking to or debating a new user who seems to know quite a lot about how the site works even though they just opened their account a day ago.

Most likely a multiaccount

Secondly you talk to a user who doesn't seem very bright but then when you debate them they are quite the competent debtor, almost like someone is helping them or writing the debate for them.

Most likely an 8 year old kid who is getting help from his dad.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 5:19:11 PM
At 12/7/2012 5:01:44 PM, Apeiron wrote:
Right, isn't obvious that everyone on here has the internet at their fingertips? If I don't know what non-locality is, I can immediately have an expert opinion on it just by going to wiki.

Big topics like atheism, has layers & layers of arguments back and forth. When you get down to it, it's very hard to prove atheism or theism... of course there's fresh sound-bitish jabs from either side... but those are worthless. See Dawkins bus,

Charming, any deeper investigation reveals science also build the atomic bomb and religion also built hospitals after...

I have a few arguments in favour of atheism that are original -- at least I haven't seen anyone else use it. I've been saving it for a tough opponent. If you are one such opponent, I'd be glad to pop the seal.
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 5:23:29 PM
At 12/7/2012 5:13:06 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/7/2012 1:08:59 AM, BennyW wrote:

Most likely a multiaccount

Most likely an 8 year old kid who is getting help from his dad.

Or perhaps the child is in a debate club and is actually OK at it?
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 5:37:46 PM
At 12/7/2012 5:19:11 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I have a few arguments in favour of atheism that are original -- at least I haven't seen anyone else use it. I've been saving it for a tough opponent. If you are one such opponent, I'd be glad to pop the seal.

Would you like to begin a forum post dedicated to hashing out argument formulations & relevant topics of the debate?

(This way we don't talk past each other in the actual debate)
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 5:54:22 PM
At 12/7/2012 5:37:46 PM, Apeiron wrote:

Would you like to begin a forum post dedicated to hashing out argument formulations & relevant topics of the debate?

Well, I don't want to give too much away, but the argument establishes that atheism is more probable than theism by appealing to theoretical physics and super-string theory. Occam's razor establishes this too, but the difference is that Occam's razor is something of a cop-out, while this argument is nothing of the sort.

As for the number of rounds and character limits, I'm flexible but 8000 characters and 4 rounds would be my preference.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 6:06:53 PM
At 12/7/2012 5:54:22 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Well, I don't want to give too much away, but the argument establishes that atheism is more probable than theism by appealing to theoretical physics and super-string theory. Occam's razor establishes this too, but the difference is that Occam's razor is something of a cop-out, while this argument is nothing of the sort.

As for the number of rounds and character limits, I'm flexible but 8000 characters and 4 rounds would be my preference.

What's the significance of 'giving to much away'? Haha, shock & awe approach? ;-)

(I prefer 5 rounds if you're bringing up modern physics btw- we can always cut it short)
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 10:56:05 PM
At 12/7/2012 6:06:53 PM, Apeiron wrote:

What's the significance of 'giving to much away'? Haha, shock & awe approach? ;-)

(I prefer 5 rounds if you're bringing up modern physics btw- we can always cut it short)

I just don't want to throw it out there before I actually get to use it in a debate. 5 rounds is fine with me. So, are you in?
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 11:08:36 PM
At 12/7/2012 10:56:05 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I just don't want to throw it out there before I actually get to use it in a debate. 5 rounds is fine with me. So, are you in?

If I don't know what I'm debating I'm not going to debate it, clearly.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 11:15:10 PM
At 12/7/2012 11:08:36 PM, Apeiron wrote:

The exact resolution will be "It is more probable that there is no God than that God exists". You can use whatever arguments you want to support theism (cosmological argument, ontological argument, etc) and I will do my best to refute them, specifically through the use of my never before seen (as far as I know) argument.

So, if you're of the position that the theistic world view is more probable than the atheistic world view, and if you're not afraid to take on a new argument, then we have a debate on our hands.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 1:08:41 PM
At 12/7/2012 11:15:10 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

The exact resolution will be "It is more probable that there is no God than that God exists". You can use whatever arguments you want to support theism (cosmological argument, ontological argument, etc) and I will do my best to refute them, specifically through the use of my never before seen (as far as I know) argument.

So, if you're of the position that the theistic world view is more probable than the atheistic world view, and if you're not afraid to take on a new argument, then we have a debate on our hands.

Sure sounds fun!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 8:54:23 PM
At 12/8/2012 1:08:41 PM, Apeiron wrote:
At 12/7/2012 11:15:10 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Sure sounds fun!

=/

Sorry to temper your excitement, but I'll have to take a rain-check on our debate. I don't like having more than 2 active debates going and I'm technically in the middle of exams... so I'm already in 2 debates too many XD

I'll get back to you when the weather has cleared though.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:02:15 PM
At 12/8/2012 8:58:49 PM, Apeiron wrote:
Good luck with exams.

Thanks. And again, I feel bad for pushing this debate only to back out myself =(
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:20:22 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:02:15 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 12/8/2012 8:58:49 PM, Apeiron wrote:
Good luck with exams.

Thanks. And again, I feel bad for pushing this debate only to back out myself =(

I understand dude finals suck.