Debate without a resolution

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:50:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I gave this RFD:

Reasons for voting decision: Pro neglected to state a resolution. They had a nice discussion, but there was no topic of debate, nothing to be proven or refuted. Pro had the burden of proof, but there was nothing to prove. Persuasion to Con. Wait, Firstguy is Con, so persuasion goes to Secondguy, since firstguy didn't have a resolution and therefore couldn't meet the burden of proof.

in this debate: http://www.debate.org...

Does this seem like a fair way to treat the matter? I've run into a couple of debates with no resolution just today.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 8:43:40 AM
At 12/9/2012 12:50:25 AM, wiploc wrote:
I gave this RFD:

Reasons for voting decision: Pro neglected to state a resolution. They had a nice discussion, but there was no topic of debate, nothing to be proven or refuted. Pro had the burden of proof, but there was nothing to prove. Persuasion to Con. Wait, Firstguy is Con, so persuasion goes to Secondguy, since firstguy didn't have a resolution and therefore couldn't meet the burden of proof.

in this debate: http://www.debate.org...

Does this seem like a fair way to treat the matter? I've run into a couple of debates with no resolution just today.

I agree with your vote completely. However in cases where the instigator makes the purpose of the debate clear in R1, it should be OK to ignore poorly worded resolutions.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 9:33:01 AM
It's up to the instigator to provide a resolution. Thus a failure to provide a resolution should mean a loss for the instigator, be they pro or con.