Jump to topic:

Question on Plagarism

Niwsa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 1:27:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If a debater posts their entire argument from a third-party source, in quotes (several paragraphs) and also provides an in-text citation (Name) at the end, yet provides no analysis of their own, are they guilt of plagiarism?
http://debate.org... <--- please vote!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 1:44:24 PM
No, just excessive laziness and poor conduct.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 1:53:52 PM
At 12/9/2012 1:27:03 PM, Niwsa wrote:
If a debater posts their entire argument from a third-party source, in quotes (several paragraphs) and also provides an in-text citation (Name) at the end, yet provides no analysis of their own, are they guilt of plagiarism?

No plagiarism, but you point out that he forwarded no argument of his own, and refuse to respond to it, since you're not obligated to argue with a quote. Your opponent would lose the debate then.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 2:02:03 PM
At 12/9/2012 1:53:52 PM, 000ike wrote:

No plagiarism, but you point out that he forwarded no argument of his own, and refuse to respond to it, since you're not obligated to argue with a quote. Your opponent would lose the debate then.

I wouldn't recommend doing this simply because plenty of people would disagree and you might end up losing the debate.

I'd just point out his poor conduct and respond as well. Most people would give you the conduct point as well as being reluctant to give him arguments. Plus the fact that he had to C/P his whole case probably means he doesn't have much ability of his own. Therefore, once you respond, it will be hard for him to make another response because he'd have to refute all your individual points meaning he couldn't really just copy and paste everything like the previous round. Actually I'm guessing he'd probably just forfeit given that he's observably lazy.

You'd have an extremely good chance of winning if you respond but doing what Ike said seems to be pretty dangerous. One time someone did literally plagiarize (no citations) his whole case and his opponent refused to respond. I did give the one who didn't plagiarize the points but many other people gave them to the plagiarizer since the other debater didn't make a response. In this case it isn't plagiarism so I definitely wouldn't do it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:06:58 PM
At 12/9/2012 1:44:24 PM, phantom wrote:
No, just excessive laziness and poor conduct.

I agree, He or she made it clear it was not their words.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:07:58 PM

can we see a link to the debate in question?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015