Jump to topic:

Current debates

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:01:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It is often a time-consuming task voting on completed debates. 3 full rounds of argumentation take a long time to read. However, it would be interesting if people posted their current debates and ask for votes after they end. This way the readers can follow along from the start to the end. Some people read debates as they are happenning (for instance the 20,000+ (spam) character debate between MouthWash/Danielle got a lot of views). It would be nice if we have legitimate debates from non-noobs to advertise while the debate is still happening.

Also, there are debaters you might want to follow. If we can bring a small group of people together and have us mutually read each others debates, it would be beneficial for everyone. No one reads the unvoted debates thread and they mostly contain noob debates. If we have a PM with a select group of people who can post current debates, it would be great. We would also have to make a rule that you can't post more than 1 debate for every vote you cast within the group of people who posted their debate - essentially, if you want to post your debate, you need to first vote on another debate posted by others.

Poor quality RFD's can be eliminated by only including members known to be good voters. The important thing here is that the PM keeps updating whenever a round is finished. So, for instance, if MW posted the spam debate in the PM, everytime he or his opponent posts a round, he would alert everyone saying that a new round is up, so people can go read it.

For Juggle/Airmax: I have another idea I want to throw out. I think we should have "members I want to follow" or something of that sort. So, if I want to read for instance BlackVoid's debates, everytime BlackVoid starts a debate, it would show up on my inbox or something like that. Just throwing an example out there.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:05:15 PM
At 12/9/2012 6:01:58 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
It is often a time-consuming task voting on completed debates. 3 full rounds of argumentation take a long time to read. However, it would be interesting if people posted their current debates and ask for votes after they end. This way the readers can follow along from the start to the end. Some people read debates as they are happenning (for instance the 20,000+ (spam) character debate between MouthWash/Danielle got a lot of views). It would be nice if we have legitimate debates from non-noobs to advertise while the debate is still happening.

Also, there are debaters you might want to follow. If we can bring a small group of people together and have us mutually read each others debates, it would be beneficial for everyone. No one reads the unvoted debates thread and they mostly contain noob debates. If we have a PM with a select group of people who can post current debates, it would be great. We would also have to make a rule that you can't post more than 1 debate for every vote you cast within the group of people who posted their debate - essentially, if you want to post your debate, you need to first vote on another debate posted by others.

Poor quality RFD's can be eliminated by only including members known to be good voters. The important thing here is that the PM keeps updating whenever a round is finished. So, for instance, if MW posted the spam debate in the PM, everytime he or his opponent posts a round, he would alert everyone saying that a new round is up, so people can go read it.

For Juggle/Airmax: I have another idea I want to throw out. I think we should have "members I want to follow" or something of that sort. So, if I want to read for instance BlackVoid's debates, everytime BlackVoid starts a debate, it would show up on my inbox or something like that. Just throwing an example out there.

If you add a debate to your Favorites, you can have notifications show up on your home page.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:05:20 PM
At 12/9/2012 6:01:58 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

I like this and think we should be able to see how many people are following your own arguments, like how you can see how many people are following your tweets on twitter! :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:06:40 PM
At 12/9/2012 6:05:15 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

If you add a debate to your Favorites, you can have notifications show up on your home page.

Oh, really? I thought you recieved emails. I don't use my real email id for DDO so I never get those.

I've never seen it happen on the DDO homepage.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:09:11 PM
At 12/9/2012 6:06:40 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/9/2012 6:05:15 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Oh, really? I thought you recieved emails. I don't use my real email id for DDO so I never get those.

I've never seen it happen on the DDO homepage.

It should show up on your personal homepage/the screen you see when you log in (not your profile).
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 11:15:17 AM
I like the idea of following debates as they go along. I've always thought about possibly writing an RFD for every round so the debaters can see my thought process as the debate progressed but I've never done it. I think I'll try what you said though and read it as it progresses. I could read every round as it finishes and write what I think so far. That way I don't forgot it, I don't have to spend all the time at once and it would be an interesting way of voting.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)