Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Debaters with a fan following

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 3:09:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Some members on DDO seem to have a large number of fans who often vote for that member and defend that member while they have debates. I question whether this is healthy as one of the hallmarks of DDO is that we aspire for objective voting and intellectual integrity. Before I continue, I'd like to note that I have nothing against debaters who have fans but am amused at the fans themselves and am curious as to why they would be so strongly in favor of one individual.

For instance, in this unlimited character debate between Danielle and Mouthwash, a lot of comments seem overwhelmingly biased.

http://www.debate.org...

For example RudeReality writes: I can't agree with losing a conduct point other than the barely contained disdain and scorn in Danielle's opening remarks, LOL, which I like to let slide, because if it affects Mouth's ability to debate, scathe away. He chose to pick the battle, let him live with it. :P

Muted: @TheAntidoter, what's wrong with Danielle's conduct here? MouthWash gave no rules, which means Danielle can troll this if she wants. Just saying....

RudeReality: Looking forward to your shredding of your opponent yet again, regardless of the regrettable circumstances involved. ;)

SocialPinko: ...oh the brutality, like kicking a dead, retarded horse.

blackfirewolf: I believe this is slightly stupid and feel that if your opponent wants to be a sore loser thats his problem. I think I'm on Danielle's side so far. :D

RationalMadman: Dude you just got owned by a chick. LOOOOOOOOL

RudeReality: Is pro even on the same planet, let alone in the same arena of debate? you're just getting immature and even more childish than the previous debate that you lost.

- And it gets better and better:

RationalMadman: Dude she fu*king annihilated you.

RationalMadman: "As you can see, there was not a shred of dishonesty in anything I said in explaining why the Sources point should have been in my favor. This contention should be dropped immediately." From the moment she said that aiiiiiiiiiish!

RudeReality: I'm just LMFAO here! Seriously! Please keep up the trouncing Danielle, and don't worry about the stupid side arguing, it's just baiting on his part with multi-accounts. Just beat his *ss the way you do it best.

InVinoVeritas: I'm very impressed with the argument that appears in Daniellotomy 30:15-20.

Testimony from others who felt attacked:

Firewoflman: I get harassed by what seems like Danielle's lackey, (or maybe just loyal supporter, or good friend, but I say lackey as a non-offensive term so please-don't take it personally,) who laughs in my face and claims that I am an alternative account of mouthwash.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 6:32:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think that is a good instance of a debater having a fan following. MouthWash is just being demolished, and I doubt most of those debaters vote on Danielle's debates much. A better example would by Contradiction, who has a group of friends called the "Rational Gang" that creeps out of the woodworks just to vote on his debates
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 6:43:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
eh, a whole load of those comments are still pretty lame. rationalmadman's "owned by a chick" one is just hilarious.
signature
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 11:27:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 3:09:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

RationalMadman: Dude you just got owned by a chick. LOOOOOOOOL

Let's see how you would do against this "chick"?

BTW. That is a sexist comment implying male superiority.

This is a problem on DDO. ( & in life generally)

She is a very respected debater on DDO, on account of her talent, & seniority (on the site), (being one of the few women on this mostly male site doesn't hurt either.).

The fact of the matter is, through no fault of her own, she will get unfair support.
It hopefully is not being done consciously, but it is in my opinion it is human nature.
There will probably be a lot of vote bombing & counter vote bombing on this debate.
I believe it's extreme popularity, is partially due to her popularity.

I highly doubt all the people commenting on that debate, actually carefully read it.
& the same will probably be true with the voting.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 11:48:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Dogknox rightfully possesses one of the greatest fan followings this site has ever seen.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 12:09:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 11:48:06 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Dogknox rightfully possesses one of the greatest fan followings this site has ever seen.

Agreed.

Also, Does a giant fan following give that person the right to troll and still win?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 12:57:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 6:32:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I don't think that is a good instance of a debater having a fan following. MouthWash is just being demolished, and I doubt most of those debaters vote on Danielle's debates much. A better example would by Contradiction, who has a group of friends called the "Rational Gang" that creeps out of the woodworks just to vote on his debates
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 12:58:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 11:27:57 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 12/14/2012 3:09:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

RationalMadman: Dude you just got owned by a chick. LOOOOOOOOL

Let's see how you would do against this "chick"?

BTW. That is a sexist comment implying male superiority.

This is a problem on DDO. ( & in life generally)

chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 1:03:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's a debate site. People are supposed to get worked up about the debates, just like they do about football games, and, unbelievably, golf tournaments.

I don't think it's not good for comments to raise new arguments while the debate is in progress, because that's coaching from the sidelines. There is also a site rule against insulting another member, and that always applies. Arguments can be severely criticized, but not the person making the argument. People posture for debate purposes and they also change over time; arguments frozen in print endure.

Having a cadre of largely-silent vote bombers is a different story.
Agent_Orange
Posts: 2,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 1:11:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
She's a woman on the internet, of course shes going to have a huge fan following.

I actually do like Danielle very much(thats my nigga) but I have never voted on any of her debates
#BlackLivesMatter
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 5:15:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I posted what I did because it's true. I don't even intend on voting on the debate.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 5:48:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 12:09:04 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 12/14/2012 11:48:06 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Dogknox rightfully possesses one of the greatest fan followings this site has ever seen.

Agreed.

Also, Does a giant fan following give that person the right to troll and still win?

Now you are getting close to how govt works.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
RationalMadman
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 5:55:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am infatuated with Danielle... and myself :/
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
Cometflash
Posts: 126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 11:52:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 10:23:55 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Copied the debate into word...

51 fvcking pages singled spaced in font size 9 and the debate isn't even over!!!

Hmmm, I was interested in reading, now not so much...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 11:56:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 9:48:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Yeah, Contradiction has a voting block that ensures he never loses a debate.

I pointed this out a while ago. I even reported one of the dudes [http://debate.org...]. This one's the most blatant. Interesting he hasn't been online since around the time Contradiction fell off the site.

/
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 12:01:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/14/2012 11:56:37 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/14/2012 9:48:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Yeah, Contradiction has a voting block that ensures he never loses a debate.

I pointed this out a while ago. I even reported one of the dudes [http://debate.org...]. This one's the most blatant. Interesting he hasn't been online since around the time Contradiction fell off the site.

/

What happenned to Contradiction?
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 12:11:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/15/2012 12:01:10 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/14/2012 11:56:37 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/14/2012 9:48:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Yeah, Contradiction has a voting block that ensures he never loses a debate.

I pointed this out a while ago. I even reported one of the dudes [http://debate.org...]. This one's the most blatant. Interesting he hasn't been online since around the time Contradiction fell off the site.

/

What happenned to Contradiction?

Maybe Danielle was getting too annoying to him lol.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 12:19:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I wish I had some fans...because it's so damn hot in here!

*Awaits new friends*
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 12:25:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/15/2012 12:19:20 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I wish I had some fans...because it's so damn hot in here!

*Awaits new friends*

I'll be sure to post some comments on your old debates for lolz.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 12:30:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/15/2012 12:25:00 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/15/2012 12:19:20 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I wish I had some fans...because it's so damn hot in here!

*Awaits new friends*

I'll be sure to post some comments on your old debates for lolz.

Done.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 12:31:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/15/2012 12:30:01 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/15/2012 12:25:00 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/15/2012 12:19:20 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I wish I had some fans...because it's so damn hot in here!

*Awaits new friends*

I'll be sure to post some comments on your old debates for lolz.

Done.

LOL! I smashed my opponent's face like a baseball? That's exactly what I'm going for when I debate, actually.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 3:34:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Koopon probably has the biggest fan base. I mane how many people say KFC even though we know it is his trademark.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Muted
Posts: 377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 8:07:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/15/2012 3:34:18 AM, BennyW wrote:
Koopin probably has the biggest fan base. I mane how many people say KFC even though we know it is his trademark.

Corrected and +1
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 8:15:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I love Danielle, but those comments are pretty harsh to Mouthwash, whether or not they're true. It's good that you question these things and call people out on it, as you also do with Roylatham, because DDO has an abnormally humongous propensity for cattle-herd mentality.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 10:00:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I can honestly say that I have never seen or heard of any of the people the OP outlines, except for InVinoVeritas (that name sounds familiar). I don't recall any of these people ever commenting or voting on any of my other debates. I've never spoken to them outside of the debate (comments section). I don't even think I'm friends with them on DDO.

The OP leaves out the obviously biased comments in favor of MouthWash. That's interesting because some people have noted that a few random Christian n00bs randomly popped up after our debate began defending MouthWash (after others in the comments section noted that he was losing and/or that the debate was silly in itself).

I don't have a fan following. If anything I am unfairly criticized or resented BECAUSE I'm ranked highly, I'm a girl, etc. In fact, someone commented on the debate with MouthWash that I only win debates because I'm "attractive" which is offensive. I didn't always have a pic up as my avatar, and that undermines my intelligence and skills as a debater. People also don't try to get on my good side for brownie points because I'm gay, so... yeah.

I think the reason this debate got so much attention is because of how ridiculous it is. I have a good amount of DDO friends, so if I comment on the debate, all of them see it in their newsfeed. Given the resolution is ABOUT me (and insulting me), I'm sure it would peak people's curiosity. Once someone comments, all of their friends see it in THEIR newsfeed, so it's easy to see how the debate would generate popularity so quickly based on the combination of antagonistic resolution, plus seeing friends post. It's not based on a "following" but the visibility and accusation.
President of DDO