Jump to topic:

How is a debate organized?

Antitheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 5:42:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Like what is the format I am new here and only close to 15 years old lol! I will be arguing for antitheism
"Religion poisons everything"- Christopher Hitchens
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 5:48:11 PM
You can organize most ways you want it. Generally people have it in some resemblance to how I've ordered it below.

=Resolution=

=Burden of proof=

=Definitions=

=Rules and guidelines=

Also, usually the first round is for acceptance and by standard conduct, no new arguments should be made in the last round. Usually there's three rounds of arguing, plus acceptance, making it a four round debate.

Also make sure to make the voting period longer than default. Three days isn't nearly long enough. I usually do one or two weeks or longer.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Antitheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 6:31:26 PM
At 12/21/2012 5:48:11 PM, phantom wrote:
You can organize most ways you want it. Generally people have it in some resemblance to how I've ordered it below.

=Resolution=

=Burden of proof=

=Definitions=

=Rules and guidelines=

Also, usually the first round is for acceptance and by standard conduct, no new arguments should be made in the last round. Usually there's three rounds of arguing, plus acceptance, making it a four round debate.

Also make sure to make the voting period longer than default. Three days isn't nearly long enough. I usually do one or two weeks or longer.

thank you :D
"Religion poisons everything"- Christopher Hitchens
tal0001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 5:51:02 PM
Debates are popular events because conflict is visceral. A speaker might be boring, but that same speaker can't afford to be boring in a debate. The stakes are higher.

Watch a few debates before hosting one. Local newspapers and organizations like the League of Women Voters will host debates, as will universities and community colleges. Take the time to attend one or two of these to get a feel for how they work.

There are different kinds of debates, each with a different format. Most people are familiar with them from watching the presidential debates, where the format rotates.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 5:54:41 PM
At 12/23/2012 5:51:02 PM, tal0001 wrote:
Debates are popular events because conflict is visceral. A speaker might be boring, but that same speaker can't afford to be boring in a debate. The stakes are higher.

Watch a few debates before hosting one. Local newspapers and organizations like the League of Women Voters will host debates, as will universities and community colleges. Take the time to attend one or two of these to get a feel for how they work.

There are different kinds of debates, each with a different format. Most people are familiar with them from watching the presidential debates, where the format rotates.

That's one way not to answer the question.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 6:00:11 PM
At 12/23/2012 5:54:41 PM, RationalMadman wrote:
At 12/23/2012 5:51:02 PM, tal0001 wrote:

That's one way not to answer the question.

Change yer avi.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:21:58 PM
Dont make a debate meant to give you an easy win, otherwise some members around here will accept it and troll the living hell out of it......
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:23:19 PM
At 12/23/2012 7:21:58 PM, imabench wrote:
Dont make a debate meant to give you an easy win, otherwise some members around here will accept it and troll the living hell out of it......

What kind of person would do a thing like that?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:23:42 PM
At 12/23/2012 7:23:19 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Beat me to it.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:47:31 PM
At 12/23/2012 7:23:42 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Beat me to it.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:55:24 PM

Certainly not any reputable member of this site who has an avatar depicting the likeliness of Iron Man!
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...