Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

The level of public discourse

Super8
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 10:24:54 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi, I'm new here. Just stumbled upon this site. I've never had a debate class.
I'm sure this question has been asked before.
I'm curious about what people on this site think about the level of public discourse and how it shapes public opinion?
I'm thinking specifically about talk radio, and cable news programs.

I guess I'll leave it at that and see what you guys have to say.
Thanks
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 11:51:35 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The problem with public discourse is that people don't get enough variety. If they're conservative, they watch Fox. If they're liberal, MSNBC. How are they ever supposed to be exposed to differing opinions, or - dare I say it - come up with an opinion of their own? I think DDO is a good place for that (variety). The key to moral and political decisions is first having a philosophy or values of your own for which to base your opinions. Philosophy isn't popular as an interest or course of study in the U.S. And, as we know, people are ignorant. They're not going to read a book and realize that there are other ideas about God and religion than just what they hear on Christian talk radio. They're not going to see why certain political ideologies are blatantly unfair... or irrelevant. Instead, they're going to be lazy and listen to Rush Limbaugh or Arianna Hufington and take their word as gospel. It's bogus. I especially love the people who listen to one talk radio show and think that makes them an expert on politics. I think this country needs a distinct separation between journalism and commentators; Listening to people's opinions is okay - even good - but the line between 'news' and 'opinions' is way too skewed in today's media.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 11:52:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Also, you posted this topic in the wrong forum. Perhaps Miscellaneous or Society would have been better :)
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 12:19:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi. Stay on this site for 6 months to see results. Coming on for 30 minutes per day and commenting 5 times minimum and taking one debate per week should guarantee a change. Now for some testaments:

"Hi, my names I-am-a-Panda, d I'm a member of DDO. I had just taken debating classes in school and wanted to learn more. I came on as a socialist, and within 6 months, I slowly changed to a liberal. I saw the awesome results of Debate.org, and you can too!"

Debate,org, yours for only 9.99!

Also, we have a fansite for what this site lacks: http://ddofans.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:19:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yea, I'd like to say that I've become a lot more moderate and tolerant from visiting this website.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:34:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!


Lol
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:35:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:34:12 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!


Lol

Crack, I pray you do tell me what impluses thee to turn to the foolish multitude?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:40:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:35:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:34:12 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!


Lol

Crack, I pray you do tell me what impluses thee to turn to the foolish multitude?

Ah, but I'm not with the foolish multitude. Appear as it may I am quite the unorthodox Christian. I'm not like the ignorant masses you seem to be grouping me with.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:47:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:40:38 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:35:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:34:12 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!


Lol

Crack, I pray you do tell me what impluses thee to turn to the foolish multitude?

Ah, but I'm not with the foolish multitude. Appear as it may I am quite the unorthodox Christian. I'm not like the ignorant masses you seem to be grouping me with.

Fie! If thou art an unorthodox christian, how can you call thy self a christian? Thou art a theist, or even a deist, for this is the way of the minority o the enlightened. I pray thy tell me thou belief in God.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 2:52:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:47:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:40:38 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:35:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:34:12 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!


Lol

Crack, I pray you do tell me what impluses thee to turn to the foolish multitude?

Ah, but I'm not with the foolish multitude. Appear as it may I am quite the unorthodox Christian. I'm not like the ignorant masses you seem to be grouping me with.

Fie! If thou art an unorthodox christian, how can you call thy self a christian? Thou art a theist, or even a deist, for this is the way of the minority o the enlightened. I pray thy tell me thou belief in God.

But soft, beyond thine thoughts I think. Listen to me so that you may hear, as I set upon you my beliefs. Mine God is True and One, the Christian God. Thine Bible has been corrupted and accidentally ruined. The message is right but many stories and words have been twisted like a gnarled oak tree. I follow the same rules but with a more lax approach to the setting.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Super8
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 3:12:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Thanks for your input thus far. BTW Lwerd, I see you're in DeKalb. I went to NIU myself.
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it to wherever it belongs.

I think where I'm going with this is that it seems to me that political (or religious) discussion, over say the last decade or so has become an armchair sport for a lot of people.

I agree that there are a lot of people who listen to a few radio programs, get some talking points and become self-appointed experts. Also, I agree that journalism and commentary seem to melt into one another while we decide which is the "liberal media" and which is the "conservative media". Guys like Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs want to portray themselves as Howard Beale from Network, and they're attracting converts.

But I guess what frustrates me is that there is a dividing line that has been drawn between one group of people and another. The debate doesn't really occur. It's more about pointed accusations, compartmentalizing people into preconceived boxes, and then excluding them because they're not part of your group.

I know this has been going on in one form or another for a long time, but I trace the current climate to the advent of Rush Limbaugh in the late 80's. My thought is that people who study debate would find this trend interesting and possibly infuriating. The level of discourse it's created, and the tactics being used.

I don't know who owns your website, but I get the impression that a lot of students make use of it. As I said, I'm interested in people's opinions, not about whose right, but simply about what's happening.

I'm out of time, but I'll check back in later.
Super8
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 5:36:50 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
By the way, I was a practicing christian for 20 years before finally becoming an agnostic.

Just keeping up with the little side chat I see here.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 5:37:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 5:36:50 PM, Super8 wrote:
By the way, I was a practicing christian for 20 years before finally becoming an agnostic.

Just keeping up with the little side chat I see here.

If I were to change to anything, it would be agnosticism, not atheism. However, I feel much more secure in my Christian faith than before.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 8:06:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 5:37:52 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 5:36:50 PM, Super8 wrote:
By the way, I was a practicing christian for 20 years before finally becoming an agnostic.

Just keeping up with the little side chat I see here.

If I were to change to anything, it would be agnosticism, not atheism. However, I feel much more secure in my Christian faith than before.

You must not have been paying attention :)
President of DDO
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2009 1:33:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 8:06:00 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/20/2009 5:37:52 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 5:36:50 PM, Super8 wrote:
By the way, I was a practicing christian for 20 years before finally becoming an agnostic.

Just keeping up with the little side chat I see here.

If I were to change to anything, it would be agnosticism, not atheism. However, I feel much more secure in my Christian faith than before.

You must not have been paying attention :)

Lol
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2009 1:39:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/20/2009 2:52:10 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:47:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:40:38 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:35:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:34:12 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!


Lol

Crack, I pray you do tell me what impluses thee to turn to the foolish multitude?

Ah, but I'm not with the foolish multitude. Appear as it may I am quite the unorthodox Christian. I'm not like the ignorant masses you seem to be grouping me with.

Fie! If thou art an unorthodox christian, how can you call thy self a christian? Thou art a theist, or even a deist, for this is the way of the minority o the enlightened. I pray thy tell me thou belief in God.

But soft, beyond thine thoughts I think. Listen to me so that you may hear, as I set upon you my beliefs. Mine God is True and One, the Christian God. Thine Bible has been corrupted and accidentally ruined. The message is right but many stories and words have been twisted like a gnarled oak tree. I follow the same rules but with a more lax approach to the setting.

Be soft, and have the feel of the courtesan? If thou God be true, and indeed as you say, One, where is the the Spirit or the Son, the leaf of Blessed Patrick? Thou book is gnarled, I concede ye that. You believe in the law of thou God, yet thou has the touch of the Night lady to him. How is that likened to thou Prophets?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2009 2:26:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/21/2009 1:39:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:52:10 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:47:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:40:38 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:35:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:34:12 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:33:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:32:07 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/20/2009 2:26:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This site made me an Atheist. Go figure.

Lol, it almost made me as well. However, I feel now that my faith is stronger than ever having gone through it.

And I would have done if it wasn't for you meddling children!


Lol

Crack, I pray you do tell me what impluses thee to turn to the foolish multitude?

Ah, but I'm not with the foolish multitude. Appear as it may I am quite the unorthodox Christian. I'm not like the ignorant masses you seem to be grouping me with.

Fie! If thou art an unorthodox christian, how can you call thy self a christian? Thou art a theist, or even a deist, for this is the way of the minority o the enlightened. I pray thy tell me thou belief in God.

But soft, beyond thine thoughts I think. Listen to me so that you may hear, as I set upon you my beliefs. Mine God is True and One, the Christian God. Thine Bible has been corrupted and accidentally ruined. The message is right but many stories and words have been twisted like a gnarled oak tree. I follow the same rules but with a more lax approach to the setting.


Be soft, and have the feel of the courtesan? If thou God be true, and indeed as you say, One, where is the the Spirit or the Son, the leaf of Blessed Patrick? Thou book is gnarled, I concede ye that. You believe in the law of thou God, yet thou has the touch of the Night lady to him. How is that likened to thou Prophets?

Thine brother, you doth speak well. But soft, I am but a commoner and have little understanding of it awl. What doth thou mean in the darkened section?
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler