Jump to topic:

Election Moderator/Impeachment

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 5:30:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Every 6 months we hold an election to choose a DDO president. This method has worked pretty well so far, but I'd like to add some changes that will allow us to resolve some problem should they come up.

Currently, Ore_ele is the election moderator, and he has done a great job doing so.
When he has been unable to do so, he has passed on the role to someone else and it has functioned generally fine.

I'd like to see this system changed however, into a more coordinated system, rather than the de facto system we currently have.

Therefore, one month prior to the presidential election we will hold an election for the election moderator, which will be moderated by the current election moderator, who also may run. The next election for election moderator will be held in May. If you are interested in running, contact the current election moderator (Ore_ele) 2 weeks before this election, to have your name put into the thread.

The responsibilities of the election moderator are to post the presidential election thread, keep track of the votes in that thread, and to arbitrate over any possible complications.

More importantly though, is a system that currently does not exist. The election moderator will also be responsible to resolve any issues if the current president is deemed unfit to continue to hold office.

If a member feels that the current president should be removed from office, they will contact the election moderator who will then investigate the claims and begin the impeachment process if deemed legitimate. This process will involve posting a thread asking members if they support removing the president from office. Members will then vote YES or NO to remove the president from office. Voting requirements will be the same as in presidential elections.

The number of YES votes required to successfully remove the president will be half the number of total votes from the election that put that president into office, rounded down to the nearest whole vote.

For example, the previous election had a total of 49 votes. To remove the current president from office it would require 24 YES votes to successfully do so.

Following a successful removal from office, the election moderator will post a special election to elect a new president one week following the placement of the deciding vote. The vice president (unless implicated as well, and then also removed from office with the president) will automatically be included in this special election unless they explicitly opt out by contacting the election moderator.

This special election will elect a president who will hold that office until the term of the removed president would have ended.

I'd like members to offer any feedback they have on this system so we can adjust it for any potential problems, or improve it with any ideas you may have.

Once members have taken a look at this system and generally approved it we"ll codify it into our election process posted in the orientation thread.

Thank you.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 5:35:41 PM
Would it be easier to have electronic voting?
(I.e. have boxes with the candidates in them and you write your name in. The votes then get automatically tallied and shown)
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 5:36:50 PM
At 12/22/2012 5:35:41 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
(I.e. have boxes with the candidates in them and you write your name in. The votes then get automatically tallied and shown)

might get hacked.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 5:38:45 PM

I don't think the current posting method is really a problem. We don't have so many votes yet that it isn't easy enough to just count them up.

I think that the current thread based vote posting system works fine. But if members have thoughts and feedback on this as well, they are free to share their thoughts on that issue as well.
Debate.org Moderator
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 5:40:52 PM
I swear on my life I called Ore-ele Ma'am and she never said she was a man...
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 5:46:08 PM
At 12/22/2012 5:36:50 PM, imabench wrote:

might get hacked.

So can the thread.
I guess Airmax is right in that it isn't really needed yet though.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 5:46:48 PM
At 12/22/2012 5:40:52 PM, RationalMadman wrote:
I swear on my life I called Ore-ele Ma'am and she never said she was a man...

Ore is an "it"
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:34:18 PM
I prepossessed an electorial collage based system. Each Stat gets equal number of electorial points and the foreign countries combined fey double a States value.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:35:46 PM
At 12/22/2012 6:34:18 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I prepossessed an electorial collage based system. Each Stat gets equal number of electorial points and the foreign countries combined fey double a States value.

OK, so one person on DDO lives in nation X. Because he is one person that voted from that one country, in effect he gets double votes. To me, this is unfair. Also, how would we go in cases of tie?
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:39:37 PM
No what iam sayin' is that lets say out of all the countries combined get added up (so lets say the score for foreign countries is airmax 10- socio 3 so the foreign count would be 10 if each state is 5 .) To break a tie it would go to popular vote.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:41:02 PM
At 12/22/2012 6:39:37 PM, lannan13 wrote:
No what iam sayin' is that lets say out of all the countries combined get added up (so lets say the score for foreign countries is airmax 10- socio 3 so the foreign count would be 10 if each state is 5 .) To break a tie it would go to popular vote.

OK, this makes sense. Though how would we prevent someone from saying they live in X as opposed to the US just to make their overall vote count?

I am also proposing that instead of a 6 month term, I woud like to raise the length of term to 1 year and 6 months.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:46:42 PM
Check their profile then check their socialmedoa stuff for approval this will be done by a special committee. I also agree that the terms should be lenghtened but I believe they should be lengjtened to 8 months

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:48:46 PM
At 12/22/2012 6:46:42 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Check their profile then check their socialmedoa stuff for approval
So you advocate looking at people's Facebook and basically stalking them?
this will be done by a special committee. I also agree that the terms should be lenghtened but I believe they should be lengjtened to 8 months
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:52:43 PM
It's not stalking it's basicly voters registration.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:54:25 PM
At 12/22/2012 6:52:43 PM, lannan13 wrote:
It's not stalking it's basicly voters registration.

It's both.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:57:10 PM
At 12/22/2012 5:30:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Every 6 months we hold an election to choose a DDO president. This method has worked pretty well so far, but I'd like to add some changes that will allow us to resolve some problem should they come up.

Currently, Ore_ele is the election moderator, and he has done a great job doing so.
When he has been unable to do so, he has passed on the role to someone else and it has functioned generally fine.

I'd like to see this system changed however, into a more coordinated system, rather than the de facto system we currently have.

Therefore, one month prior to the presidential election we will hold an election for the election moderator, which will be moderated by the current election moderator, who also may run. The next election for election moderator will be held in May. If you are interested in running, contact the current election moderator (Ore_ele) 2 weeks before this election, to have your name put into the thread.

The responsibilities of the election moderator are to post the presidential election thread, keep track of the votes in that thread, and to arbitrate over any possible complications.

More importantly though, is a system that currently does not exist. The election moderator will also be responsible to resolve any issues if the current president is deemed unfit to continue to hold office.

If a member feels that the current president should be removed from office, they will contact the election moderator who will then investigate the claims and begin the impeachment process if deemed legitimate. This process will involve posting a thread asking members if they support removing the president from office. Members will then vote YES or NO to remove the president from office. Voting requirements will be the same as in presidential elections.

The number of YES votes required to successfully remove the president will be half the number of total votes from the election that put that president into office, rounded down to the nearest whole vote.

For example, the previous election had a total of 49 votes. To remove the current president from office it would require 24 YES votes to successfully do so.

Following a successful removal from office, the election moderator will post a special election to elect a new president one week following the placement of the deciding vote. The vice president (unless implicated as well, and then also removed from office with the president) will automatically be included in this special election unless they explicitly opt out by contacting the election moderator.

This special election will elect a president who will hold that office until the term of the removed president would have ended.

I'd like members to offer any feedback they have on this system so we can adjust it for any potential problems, or improve it with any ideas you may have.

Once members have taken a look at this system and generally approved it we"ll codify it into our election process posted in the orientation thread.

Thank you.

Why not just have a leading member of the site who doesn't care about DDO politics monitor the outcome. This should be someone we all trust, who is generally respected:

Contenders?

-Roy
-Danielle
-Brian

If any of them want to do it, they would be good at it. This need not be made complicated.
Tsar of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:58:20 PM
It's what the US federal government does.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 6:58:53 PM
At 12/22/2012 6:58:20 PM, lannan13 wrote:

So what?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 7:00:02 PM
At 12/22/2012 6:58:53 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 12/22/2012 6:58:20 PM, lannan13 wrote:

So what?

x2
Tsar of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 7:01:34 PM
I'm tryin'to make this website better and yes I know the outcome of the last election wouldn't of changed but change is always good.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 7:05:06 PM
At 12/22/2012 7:01:34 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I'm tryin'to make this website better and yes I know the outcome of the last election wouldn't of changed but change is always good.

Ok. I want you to eat ten cups of ice cream every day to get fat. After all, change is always good right?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 7:08:55 PM
Who would moderate the moderator though?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 7:18:40 PM
At 12/22/2012 7:08:55 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

haha this isn't that complex...

The moderator has no authority beyond what is stated in the thread..

As suggested above, it may just be worth asking a responsible member to do it regularly and including the extra responsibilities stated in the OP.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 7:18:57 PM

lol... The Watchmen, obviously.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 9:01:59 PM

Thank you.

I have just two concerns, but overall like it.

First, "The election moderator will also be responsible to resolve any issues if the current president is deemed unfit to continue to hold office." Isn't that the role of the VP? Perhaps the EM should be should in line after the VP (unless we want to do away with the VP all together, no offense Freedo, you're more of a dictator than a VP anyway).

Second, if the impeachment requirements. It should be that the "YES" votes need to be more than however ever many votes the President received, not just half of the election tally, and there needs to be more YES votes than NO. I mean, if only 24 YES votes are needed, and the vote of the impeachment is 27 YES and 73 NO, the impeachment should not go through.

Just my overpriced two cents.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 9:38:50 PM
At 12/22/2012 9:01:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Thank you.

I have just two concerns, but overall like it.

First, "The election moderator will also be responsible to resolve any issues if the current president is deemed unfit to continue to hold office." Isn't that the role of the VP? Perhaps the EM should be should in line after the VP (unless we want to do away with the VP all together, no offense Freedo, you're more of a dictator than a VP anyway).

I don't think we should make the VP responsible to officially charge the President and hold the removal voting. In most cases the VP will be a friend and ally of the president, and so has a conflict if interest.

If the EM is in line to take the role of president, he also would have a conflict of interest in this, a may begin impeachment proceedings frivolously.

Second, if the impeachment requirements. It should be that the "YES" votes need to be more than however ever many votes the President received, not just half of the election tally, and there needs to be more YES votes than NO. I mean, if only 24 YES votes are needed, and the vote of the impeachment is 27 YES and 73 NO, the impeachment should not go through.

Yeah, I agree with this. That seems more reasonable.

Just my overpriced two cents.
Debate.org Moderator
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 10:15:06 PM
Sounds good but I do agree with Ore_Ele that the yes votes should have to outweigh the no votes for impeachment to go through, rather than being based on the previous vote count. Just my opinion.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 10:31:02 PM
Why do we need to elect election moderators anyway? Ore_Ele is doing a fine job of it as it is right now and I see no reason why that should change. Should he want to relegate the duties onto someone else, I see that as okay as well. But why would we need to add more tediousness to the entire thing?

But secondly, who would moderate the election for election moderator? The current election moderators? Yeah I can totally see those threads being non-biased and totally fair to everyone running.

But thirdly, what's the actual point of the role? To sit there and make two or three threads? If there's no point, this is just going to descend into a popularity contest, which seems, again, quite pointless.

It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but things are fine the way they are right now. I see no convincing argument for this change.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 10:37:09 PM
At 12/22/2012 7:18:57 PM, YYW wrote:

lol... The Watchmen, obviously.

Who watches The Watchmen?

http://i.qkme.me...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.