Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Is it permissible

Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 6:55:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is it permissible to start new threads in the forum and to directly link them to a specific debate... with the goal to garner more votes and to foster a discussion of the debate in the forums rather than in the (limited) comments sections of the debate itself?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:13:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 6:55:44 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Is it permissible to start new threads in the forum and to directly link them to a specific debate... with the goal to garner more votes and to foster a discussion of the debate in the forums rather than in the (limited) comments sections of the debate itself?

Sure, but it's frowned upon. There's a sticky thread on the Debate.org Forum to paste debate links for more votes.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:15:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 7:13:47 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 12/26/2012 6:55:44 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Is it permissible to start new threads in the forum and to directly link them to a specific debate... with the goal to garner more votes and to foster a discussion of the debate in the forums rather than in the (limited) comments sections of the debate itself?

Sure, but it's frowned upon. There's a sticky thread on the Debate.org Forum to paste debate links for more votes.

What about the other reasons? "To open the debate subject up to further comments and discussions?"
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:16:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 7:15:19 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 12/26/2012 7:13:47 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 12/26/2012 6:55:44 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Is it permissible to start new threads in the forum and to directly link them to a specific debate... with the goal to garner more votes and to foster a discussion of the debate in the forums rather than in the (limited) comments sections of the debate itself?

Sure, but it's frowned upon. There's a sticky thread on the Debate.org Forum to paste debate links for more votes.

What about the other reasons? "To open the debate subject up to further comments and discussions?"

As long as the debate's over so it doesn't look like argument-mining.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:18:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 7:16:14 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 12/26/2012 7:15:19 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 12/26/2012 7:13:47 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 12/26/2012 6:55:44 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Is it permissible to start new threads in the forum and to directly link them to a specific debate... with the goal to garner more votes and to foster a discussion of the debate in the forums rather than in the (limited) comments sections of the debate itself?

Sure, but it's frowned upon. There's a sticky thread on the Debate.org Forum to paste debate links for more votes.

What about the other reasons? "To open the debate subject up to further comments and discussions?"

As long as the debate's over so it doesn't look like argument-mining.

Ahhhh good point. I hadn't considered that^
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:31:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 6:55:44 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Is it permissible to start new threads in the forum and to directly link them to a specific debate... with the goal to garner more votes and to foster a discussion of the debate in the forums rather than in the (limited) comments sections of the debate itself?

Sure, but to justify such a move it better be a great debate.

And as some one else pointed out, only after the debate has ended, that includes the voting period too, other wise it just an extension of the debate.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:32:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 7:31:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 12/26/2012 6:55:44 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Is it permissible to start new threads in the forum and to directly link them to a specific debate... with the goal to garner more votes and to foster a discussion of the debate in the forums rather than in the (limited) comments sections of the debate itself?

Sure, but to justify such a move it better be a great debate.

And as some one else pointed out, only after the debate has ended, that includes the voting period too, other wise it just an extension of the debate.

Understood.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:34:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh I forgot you want to make the thread to increase votes, then my answer would be no.

Cause something that is implied here on DDO is that the debate its self is judged on its own merit, if you open up a thread others will present arguments for one side or the other and that will end up influencing the debate, and if that is the case, why bother with the debate in the first place, may as well have an open thread/blog or what ever.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 7:42:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 7:34:23 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Oh I forgot you want to make the thread to increase votes, then my answer would be no.

Cause something that is implied here on DDO is that the debate its self is judged on its own merit, if you open up a thread others will present arguments for one side or the other and that will end up influencing the debate, and if that is the case, why bother with the debate in the first place, may as well have an open thread/blog or what ever.

Well, (speaking only for myself) the debates are not always easy to find before the voting periods are over. They are easy enough if a person is in the mood to sort through them while they are active... But for those who (like me) spend more time in the forums than we do "looking for something to vote on" I wouldn't mind seeing threads with a link to a well made debate.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 8:37:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
wheres the thread? Ill judge for myself
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 8:44:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/26/2012 8:37:00 PM, imabench wrote:
wheres the thread? Ill judge for myself

I haven't started one yet and I didn't have a specific one in mind. There are many debates past and present that I think would make for a good center of discussion in the forums and would maybe generate more voter participation at the same time. That's all.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...