Jump to topic:

6th debate round

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 4:34:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I know that I am pretty new to the site, but what would everyone's opinions be on adding the option of a 6th debate round. 5 rounds seem like a lot, but many of the debates I see between elites seem to use every character available.

Also, I see that a lot of debates use the first round only for acceptance, and the last round only for conclusion. This leaves only 3 rounds or 24000 characters for actual debate. A 6th round would boost that to 32000 allowing for more facts and statistics to be used, and more room for arguments and refutations.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 4:56:16 PM
At 1/1/2013 4:34:43 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
I know that I am pretty new to the site, but what would everyone's opinions be on adding the option of a 6th debate round. 5 rounds seem like a lot, but many of the debates I see between elites seem to use every character available.

Also, I see that a lot of debates use the first round only for acceptance, and the last round only for conclusion. This leaves only 3 rounds or 24000 characters for actual debate. A 6th round would boost that to 32000 allowing for more facts and statistics to be used, and more room for arguments and refutations.

Good god no, what voter would want to read 32000 characters worth of repetition? Many people don't like 5 round debates because very quickly they get tedious and repetitive. I think 5 rounds is a good limit.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 5:06:03 PM
At 1/1/2013 4:56:16 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

Good god no, what voter would want to read 32000 characters worth of repetition? Many people don't like 5 round debates because very quickly they get tedious and repetitive. I think 5 rounds is a good limit.

That's a good points, but I prefer reading longer and more in depth debates.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 5:06:27 PM
At 1/1/2013 4:56:16 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

For emphasis:

GOOD GOD NO
Ike-Jin-Park
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:14:44 AM
I'd actually want a 6th Round becauase usually 1st Round is used as acceptance. Then arguments from both sides without rebuttal in 2nd Round. Having 6th Round will leave R3,4,5 as room for a "fight" and 6th with a conclusion. As some one who enjoy heavy debates, I'd love 6th round.