Jump to topic:

Debating Style

Ike-Jin-Park
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:11:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been on this site for about a month now and I realized the style I debate is very systematic and maybe excessively strict on format. I noticed some debators use narrative-style to debate rather than giving strict heading to each and every category of argument they give.

Does the style in which I debate help to make debate more clear?

I welcome those who debated agasint me or saw my debates.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 12:22:50 PM
At 1/2/2013 11:11:55 AM, Ike-Jin-Park wrote:
I've been on this site for about a month now and I realized the style I debate is very systematic and maybe excessively strict on format. I noticed some debators use narrative-style to debate rather than giving strict heading to each and every category of argument they give.

I believe a narriative would be easier to read and judge on. Always believe that they are stupid and don't have a collage degree. They want to here a story and have everything spoon fed to them, because they are taking the time to sit and read your debates so don't make it painfull for them.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Magicr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 12:50:52 PM

I tend to disagree. On complicated resolutions it makes it helpful when keeping track of the arguments to have them arranged with a heading.
DudeWithoutTheE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 1:04:48 PM
I prefer your style. It's closer to what I'm used to (British Parliamentary) and easier to identify the clash. With narrative debating, it can be hard to see what's aimed at what.
Magicr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:02:20 PM
At 1/2/2013 12:50:52 PM, Magicr wrote:

I tend to disagree with Lannan. On complicated resolutions it makes it helpful when keeping track of the arguments to have them arranged with a heading.
Corrected.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 4:02:46 PM
I think different styles work well for different debaters. Every debater needs to learn to find their own convincing "voice". If I was to try to imitate Martin Luther King in my speeches, I'd probably sound like an idiot.

At 1/2/2013 1:04:48 PM, DudeWithoutTheE wrote:
I prefer your style. It's closer to what I'm used to (British Parliamentary) and easier to identify the clash. With narrative debating, it can be hard to see what's aimed at what.

Hooray for more debaters who know BP being on this site! Although I use a lot of narrative when I'm doing BP esp. in opening - it actually makes arguments more memorable. You're right about needing to be careful with structure though.