Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Debates I want to have

DoctorDeku
Posts: 162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 10:39:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am willing to instigate all of these debates. the parameters for each would be as follows-

4000 character max per round.
4 rounds of debate, all meant for argumentation and clash
24 hours to respond each round
2 weeks voting period.

I call this the 'Deku Debate' format.

I'm hoping to start a new debate every day, but I realize that may not happen. I want to have lots of these regardless and am willing to discuss rules and definitions via PM prior to the beginning of the debates.

The resolutions I wish to debate are as follows-
I am Pro on all of them.

- Feminism is destructive
- Capital Punishment is unjust
- There is a need for Men's Rights
- Stricter Gun Control is unwarranted
- Faculty led prayer is unethical in public schools
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- Minor Grammatical errors should not upset people
- Smoking in public should not be legal
- Pirating media is immoral
- Censorship is highly unethical
- The 'Fiscal Cliff' isn't all that big of a deal
- Capitalism is morally superior to Socialism
- Recreational Marijuana should be legalized
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- Income Tax is justified
- Property Tax is justified
- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich
- Abortion is murder
- If an item fails to scan at Wal-Mart, and a shopper doesn't notice until they are at home, it is okay to keep the item
- Video Games are an art form of the same caliber as novels or movies.
- Established Corporations and Celebrities should not use Kickstarter.
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.
- The Drinking age should be 18 in the United States
- College Athletes should not be paid
- Santa Clause is real
- Color Guard is not a sport
- Cheerleading is not a sport

There are of course other resolutions I would like to debate, but this list will suffice for now.
If you're interested taking Con on any of these topics please say so.
famer
Posts: 679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 10:49:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/6/2013 10:39:02 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:
I am willing to instigate all of these debates. the parameters for each would be as follows-

4000 character max per round.
4 rounds of debate, all meant for argumentation and clash
24 hours to respond each round
2 weeks voting period.

I call this the 'Deku Debate' format.

I'm hoping to start a new debate every day, but I realize that may not happen. I want to have lots of these regardless and am willing to discuss rules and definitions via PM prior to the beginning of the debates.

The resolutions I wish to debate are as follows-
I am Pro on all of them.

- Feminism is destructive
- Capital Punishment is unjust
- There is a need for Men's Rights
- Stricter Gun Control is unwarranted
- Faculty led prayer is unethical in public schools
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- Minor Grammatical errors should not upset people
- Smoking in public should not be legal
- Pirating media is immoral
- Censorship is highly unethical
- The 'Fiscal Cliff' isn't all that big of a deal
- Capitalism is morally superior to Socialism
- Recreational Marijuana should be legalized
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- Income Tax is justified
- Property Tax is justified
- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich
- Abortion is murder
- If an item fails to scan at Wal-Mart, and a shopper doesn't notice until they are at home, it is okay to keep the item
- Video Games are an art form of the same caliber as novels or movies.
- Established Corporations and Celebrities should not use Kickstarter.
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.
- The Drinking age should be 18 in the United States
- College Athletes should not be paid
- Santa Clause is real
- Color Guard is not a sport
- Cheerleading is not a sport


There are of course other resolutions I would like to debate, but this list will suffice for now.
If you're interested taking Con on any of these topics please say so.

If you ever get to have a decent opponent on those bolded topics, please let me know and give me a link. I would be very interested in watching those debates. :)
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 10:50:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
- Feminism is destructive
- Minor Grammatical errors should not upset people
- Pirating media is immoral
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.
- College Athletes should not be paid
- Santa Clause is real
- Cheerleading is not a sport

I would be willing to do one of these debates. But given your strict time lines I think it would be better if I waited until after one of my two current debates are busy, as I have classed M-F for most the day, and too many debates can be stressful.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
thett3
Posts: 14,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 10:51:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/6/2013 10:39:02 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:
I am willing to instigate all of these debates. the parameters for each would be as follows-

4000 character max per round.
4 rounds of debate, all meant for argumentation and clash
24 hours to respond each round
2 weeks voting period.

I call this the 'Deku Debate' format.

I'm hoping to start a new debate every day, but I realize that may not happen. I want to have lots of these regardless and am willing to discuss rules and definitions via PM prior to the beginning of the debates.

The resolutions I wish to debate are as follows-
I am Pro on all of them.

- Feminism is destructive
- Capital Punishment is unjust
- There is a need for Men's Rights
- Stricter Gun Control is unwarranted
- Faculty led prayer is unethical in public schools
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- Minor Grammatical errors should not upset people
- Smoking in public should not be legal
- Pirating media is immoral
- Censorship is highly unethical
- The 'Fiscal Cliff' isn't all that big of a deal
- Capitalism is morally superior to Socialism
- Recreational Marijuana should be legalized
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- Income Tax is justified
- Property Tax is justified

- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich
- Abortion is murder
- If an item fails to scan at Wal-Mart, and a shopper doesn't notice until they are at home, it is okay to keep the item
- Video Games are an art form of the same caliber as novels or movies.
- Established Corporations and Celebrities should not use Kickstarter.
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.
- The Drinking age should be 18 in the United States
- College Athletes should not be paid
- Santa Clause is real
- Color Guard is not a sport
- Cheerleading is not a sport


There are of course other resolutions I would like to debate, but this list will suffice for now.
If you're interested taking Con on any of these topics please say so.

I will take any of the bolded ones, preferably the taxation ones.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 10:53:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Like TUF I would prefer if you kept the time limits a little less strict...maybe 48 hours if you dont want to do the full 3 days
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 11:02:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I really want to see you debate piracy.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 11:02:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
- All countries should use the same form of currency

I would take con on this one. Depending on how you define Socialism and Capitalism I would take that one also.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 12:53:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Topics I'd like to debate with you in order:

1. Feminism is destructive.
2. College athletes should not be paid.
3. Pirating media is immoral.

I disagree with you on many others, but I've debates some of those before a handful of times (however, arguing in favor of gay rights will never get old to me -- feminism is similar). I'd be willing to do these 3 (as Con, or Pro with a re-worded resolution) with you or anyone else.
President of DDO
DoctorDeku
Posts: 162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 2:53:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/6/2013 10:49:07 PM, famer wrote:
At 1/6/2013 10:39:02 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:
I am willing to instigate all of these debates. the parameters for each would be as follows-

4000 character max per round.
4 rounds of debate, all meant for argumentation and clash
24 hours to respond each round
2 weeks voting period.

I call this the 'Deku Debate' format.

I'm hoping to start a new debate every day, but I realize that may not happen. I want to have lots of these regardless and am willing to discuss rules and definitions via PM prior to the beginning of the debates.

The resolutions I wish to debate are as follows-
I am Pro on all of them.

- Feminism is destructive
- Capital Punishment is unjust
- There is a need for Men's Rights
- Stricter Gun Control is unwarranted
- Faculty led prayer is unethical in public schools
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- Minor Grammatical errors should not upset people
- Smoking in public should not be legal
- Pirating media is immoral
- Censorship is highly unethical
- The 'Fiscal Cliff' isn't all that big of a deal
- Capitalism is morally superior to Socialism
- Recreational Marijuana should be legalized
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- Income Tax is justified
- Property Tax is justified
- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich
- Abortion is murder
- If an item fails to scan at Wal-Mart, and a shopper doesn't notice until they are at home, it is okay to keep the item
- Video Games are an art form of the same caliber as novels or movies.
- Established Corporations and Celebrities should not use Kickstarter.
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.
- The Drinking age should be 18 in the United States
- College Athletes should not be paid
- Santa Clause is real
- Color Guard is not a sport
- Cheerleading is not a sport


There are of course other resolutions I would like to debate, but this list will suffice for now.
If you're interested taking Con on any of these topics please say so.

If you ever get to have a decent opponent on those bolded topics, please let me know and give me a link. I would be very interested in watching those debates. :)

Will do!
DoctorDeku
Posts: 162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 2:54:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/6/2013 10:50:22 PM, TUF wrote:
- Feminism is destructive
- Minor Grammatical errors should not upset people
- Pirating media is immoral
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.
- College Athletes should not be paid
- Santa Clause is real
- Cheerleading is not a sport


I would be willing to do one of these debates. But given your strict time lines I think it would be better if I waited until after one of my two current debates are busy, as I have classed M-F for most the day, and too many debates can be stressful.

PM me, We can hash out the details.
I have classes five days a week too so if you'd like for me to lengthen the time-frame I could do so.
DoctorDeku
Posts: 162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 2:54:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/6/2013 10:51:40 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/6/2013 10:39:02 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:
I am willing to instigate all of these debates. the parameters for each would be as follows-

4000 character max per round.
4 rounds of debate, all meant for argumentation and clash
24 hours to respond each round
2 weeks voting period.

I call this the 'Deku Debate' format.

I'm hoping to start a new debate every day, but I realize that may not happen. I want to have lots of these regardless and am willing to discuss rules and definitions via PM prior to the beginning of the debates.

The resolutions I wish to debate are as follows-
I am Pro on all of them.

- Feminism is destructive
- Capital Punishment is unjust
- There is a need for Men's Rights
- Stricter Gun Control is unwarranted
- Faculty led prayer is unethical in public schools
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- Minor Grammatical errors should not upset people
- Smoking in public should not be legal
- Pirating media is immoral
- Censorship is highly unethical
- The 'Fiscal Cliff' isn't all that big of a deal
- Capitalism is morally superior to Socialism
- Recreational Marijuana should be legalized
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- Income Tax is justified
- Property Tax is justified

- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich
- Abortion is murder
- If an item fails to scan at Wal-Mart, and a shopper doesn't notice until they are at home, it is okay to keep the item
- Video Games are an art form of the same caliber as novels or movies.
- Established Corporations and Celebrities should not use Kickstarter.
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.
- The Drinking age should be 18 in the United States
- College Athletes should not be paid
- Santa Clause is real
- Color Guard is not a sport
- Cheerleading is not a sport


There are of course other resolutions I would like to debate, but this list will suffice for now.
If you're interested taking Con on any of these topics please say so.

I will take any of the bolded ones, preferably the taxation ones.

PM me.
DoctorDeku
Posts: 162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 2:55:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/6/2013 11:02:02 PM, larztheloser wrote:
I like all of these topics by the way.

You! I definitely want to have a rematch with you.
PM me and we can debate any of these resolutions you'd like.
DoctorDeku
Posts: 162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 2:57:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/7/2013 12:53:54 PM, Danielle wrote:
Topics I'd like to debate with you in order:

1. Feminism is destructive.
2. College athletes should not be paid.
3. Pirating media is immoral.

I disagree with you on many others, but I've debates some of those before a handful of times (however, arguing in favor of gay rights will never get old to me -- feminism is similar). I'd be willing to do these 3 (as Con, or Pro with a re-worded resolution) with you or anyone else.

As a Men's Rights Advocate I would love to have any number of debates on feminism. The other two I'm less passionate about but I feel I could make a solid argument for them.

PM me and we can hash out the details as well as discuss a possible rewording of the resolution.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:50:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sure, send me a challenge on feminism. I accept your resolution but if you'd like to re-word it send me a challenge and I'll probably accept. Since you're anti-feminism and I'm pro-feminism, I'm sure your resolution will be fine.
President of DDO
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 4:11:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/6/2013 10:39:02 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:

- Feminism is destructive
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- Pirating media is immoral
- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich

I would take any of these but with time restrictions, it would have to be next month :( If you're still looking to debate then, I'm particularly interested in the last one.
yang.
DoctorDeku
Posts: 162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 4:28:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/7/2013 4:11:03 PM, tulle wrote:
At 1/6/2013 10:39:02 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:

- Feminism is destructive
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- Pirating media is immoral
- One with a yearly income of $100,000 should be considered rich

I would take any of these but with time restrictions, it would have to be next month :( If you're still looking to debate then, I'm particularly interested in the last one.

PM me and we can talk about the time restrictions. If you really want to I'm willing to raise the time limit to 72 hours.
Subutai
Posts: 3,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 6:37:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
- Capital Punishment is unjust
- Mandatory Drug Testing is an Unwarranted violation of privacy
- The 'Fiscal Cliff' isn't all that big of a deal
- All countries should use the same form of currency
- Income Tax is justified
- Property Tax is justified
- Abortion is murder
- Debates should be primarily logic driven, not evidence driven.

I would be willing to do any of these. PM me about it.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.