Jump to topic:

Merry Orthodox Christmas

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 6:00:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Since it shouldn't pass by unnoticed, figured out I should mention it (even if we don't really have Orthodox members)...

So yeah, Merry Orthodox Christmas :)
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 6:15:21 AM
http://www.debate.org...

He hasn't been active in months, though.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 10:18:00 AM
At 1/7/2013 6:15:21 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

He hasn't been active in months, though.

We should have more like him....
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 6:45:37 PM
Orthodox Christmas makes local news around here, inthe California hills, as Serbian men gather to shoot shotguns in the air and honk their car horns to celebrate. The clergy in the local Orthodox church takes a dim view of this and explain it is not the true spirit of Serbian Christmas
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 8:13:12 PM
At 1/7/2013 10:24:00 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
How interesting! Mind elaborating on what you're talking about?

Sarcasm? Anyway, it is the Orthodox Christmas. Orthodox people celebrate it later since they stick to the old calendar. You can google it.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 8:19:44 PM
At 1/7/2013 6:45:37 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Orthodox Christmas makes local news around here, inthe California hills, as Serbian men gather to shoot shotguns in the air and honk their car horns to celebrate. The clergy in the local Orthodox church takes a dim view of this and explain it is not the true spirit of Serbian Christmas

Really? I didn't know that. Us serbs certainly have a number of traditions both prior and during the Christmas, such as burning badnjak on Christmas Eve (which I guess they've spoken about as well, no?). It's truly beautiful, while the leaves of it burn, they show off a pleasurable cracking sounds before they are broken apart and sent into air as glowing sparks.

However, shooting from shotguns and honking isn't a part of the original Serbian tradition. It's probably just the need to show their nationality and their religion that made them act like that. Also, did they really call it Serbian Christmas's? Because it's really not only reserved for Serbia, but for all orthodox countries (including Russia)
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 10:40:17 AM
At 1/7/2013 8:13:12 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Sarcasm? Anyway, it is the Orthodox Christmas. Orthodox people celebrate it later since they stick to the old calendar. You can google it.

No, it wasn't sarcasm... I've never hard of it. What "old calendar?"
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 12:02:51 PM
At 1/7/2013 8:19:44 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

However, shooting from shotguns and honking isn't a part of the original Serbian tradition. It's probably just the need to show their nationality and their religion that made them act like that. Also, did they really call it Serbian Christmas's? Because it's really not only reserved for Serbia, but for all orthodox countries (including serbian Russia)

I'm sure you're right about it not being traditional. I mean, car horns? Google "Serbian Christmas" for the YouTube video, etc. That's what they call it.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 2:50:35 PM
At 1/8/2013 10:40:17 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

I'm sorry. It's the Julian calendar. Dec. 25 on the Julian calendar is Jan. 7 on the Gregorian callendar. Orthodox people still look at the Julian calendar.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 2:57:29 PM
At 1/8/2013 12:02:51 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 1/7/2013 8:19:44 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

However, shooting from shotguns and honking isn't a part of the original Serbian tradition. It's probably just the need to show their nationality and their religion that made them act like that. Also, did they really call it Serbian Christmas's? Because it's really not only reserved for Serbia, but for all orthodox countries (including serbian Russia)

I'm sure you're right about it not being traditional. I mean, car horns? Google "Serbian Christmas" for the YouTube video, etc. That's what they call it.

It definitely isn't our tradition, haha, though there is a certain affinity for shooting at important events between Serbs. Also, why'd you add "serbian" in front of the Russia in the original post you quoted?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 3:52:49 PM
At 1/8/2013 2:50:35 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 1/8/2013 10:40:17 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

I'm sorry. It's the Julian calendar. Dec. 25 on the Julian calendar is Jan. 7 on the Gregorian callendar. Orthodox people still look at the Julian calendar.

Ohhhh, I've heard of the Julian calendar... the one that counts from 1 - 365 without regard to months, right?

Interesting...

Merry Christmas. :)