Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Has DDO Been Sold?

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 12:14:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Monumental changes are coming to DDO.

On 24 July 2009, NewCars, a website formerly listed on WebCorp's for-sale page at $500K, was mysteriously delisted, and had its logo altered on the front page. At the time, I had thought the change was very strange, because Phil had previously stated that NewCars made him millions of dollars per year and that it required less than an hour a day to maintain. Yesterday, my suspicions were resolved. He had relaunched the site with a new sleek interface, and added a plethora of new features. Clearly Phil wants to keep the site.

On 26 April 2009, WebCorp released six new websites (the Inc websites), which made money primarily through referrals. As these websites are static, I assume Phil spends only a few minutes maintaining these websites, too. I also assume that they, too, make Phil a decent amount of money.

But why do I mention this? Yesterday--the day when NewCars was relaunched--DDO was delisted from WebCorp's for-sale page. DDO was also delisted fom eBay and Sedo.

Sounds like great news, right? Wrong.

Upon further investigation, I learned that NewCars, like the Inc websites, makes money primarily through referrals. This fact makes DDO the odd one of the bunch. Unlike WebCorp's other websites, which make Phil a plethora of money with little effort, DDO requires a tremendous amount of effort for little money. Previously, Phil stated that DDO makes him, "like, $5 a day. lol," and that it made, "little business sense," to spend time and effort on DDO. Furthermore, Phil has made plans to work on DORK all the way from January 2010 to April 2010.

One of three things is happening. Either DDO is going to go through a massive rehual, like NewCars, which is unlikely. Or, DDO has been sold, which is less unlikely, but still unlikely. Or DDO has been scrapped.

It's been a nice ride, folks.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 12:19:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Okay. I didn't want to tell you guys like this, buuut... it's me. I bought DDO. Say goodbye, GodSands!
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 12:21:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
LOL, Phil would have scrapped this a LONG time ago if it wasn't making money. It's been 2 years, so I'm presuming it's been sold or it's undergoing a revamp.

A revamp?! Mayhaps, I mean we've been begging for one, but I think he would have announced it in the forums. Hopefully we'll get a response.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:16:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:13:20 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 12:22:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Uh, Poejoe, it hasn't been de-listed: http://www.webcorp.com...

http://www.webcorp.com... -- Yes it has.

It may not be for sale, but it's still listed under Webcorp. They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold. REVAMP!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:24:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:16:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:13:20 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 12:22:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Uh, Poejoe, it hasn't been de-listed: http://www.webcorp.com...

http://www.webcorp.com... -- Yes it has.

It may not be for sale, but it's still listed under Webcorp. They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold. REVAMP!

Reread my post. My point was that it wasn't being sold. The post says that DDO is going to be scrapped.

Oh, and theLwerd, if I remember correctly, when Phil sent askbob the cease and desist letter, Phil estimated his damages to be in the thousands. When askbob inquired as to why the damages were so high, Phil said he made hundreds of dollars per hour. So that also exacerbates our situation. To Phil, DDO is chump change.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:26:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:24:23 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:16:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:13:20 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 12:22:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Uh, Poejoe, it hasn't been de-listed: http://www.webcorp.com...

http://www.webcorp.com... -- Yes it has.

It may not be for sale, but it's still listed under Webcorp. They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold. REVAMP!

Reread my post. My point was that it wasn't being sold. The post says that DDO is going to be scrapped.

Oh, and theLwerd, if I remember correctly, when Phil sent askbob the cease and desist letter, Phil estimated his damages to be in the thousands. When askbob inquired as to why the damages were so high, Phil said he made hundreds of dollars per hour. So that also exacerbates our situation. To Phil, DDO is chump change.

And even if it were being sold, WebCorp would keep it on their home page. Take a look at 321Gone, HomeBuying, MyCar, and DateFree.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:27:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:24:23 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:16:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:13:20 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 12:22:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Uh, Poejoe, it hasn't been de-listed: http://www.webcorp.com...

http://www.webcorp.com... -- Yes it has.

It may not be for sale, but it's still listed under Webcorp. They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold. REVAMP!

Reread my post. My point was that it wasn't being sold. The post says that DDO is going to be scrapped.

Oh, and theLwerd, if I remember correctly, when Phil sent askbob the cease and desist letter, Phil estimated his damages to be in the thousands. When askbob inquired as to why the damages were so high, Phil said he made hundreds of dollars per hour. So that also exacerbates our situation. To Phil, DDO is chump change.

Being scrapped? Hmmm..Unlikely, we probably would have had some heads-up about this. Again, the site's still on the homepage.

In the worst case scenario, retreat to DDOFans http://ddofans.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:28:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:26:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

And even if it were being sold, WebCorp would keep it on their home page. Take a look at 321Gone, HomeBuying, MyCar, and DateFree.

Yeah, note the "Sold" badge on it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:30:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:28:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:26:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

And even if it were being sold, WebCorp would keep it on their home page. Take a look at 321Gone, HomeBuying, MyCar, and DateFree.

Yeah, note the "Sold" badge on it.

You said, "They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold." I was responding to that.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:39:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:30:15 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:28:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:26:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

And even if it were being sold, WebCorp would keep it on their home page. Take a look at 321Gone, HomeBuying, MyCar, and DateFree.

Yeah, note the "Sold" badge on it.

You said, "They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold." I was responding to that.

Right, but it would be up with the sold badge.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:41:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:39:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:30:15 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:28:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:26:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

And even if it were being sold, WebCorp would keep it on their home page. Take a look at 321Gone, HomeBuying, MyCar, and DateFree.

Yeah, note the "Sold" badge on it.

You said, "They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold." I was responding to that.

Right, but it would be up with the sold badge.

Cool, but back to the topic at hand...
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 1:50:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:41:41 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:39:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:30:15 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:28:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:26:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

And even if it were being sold, WebCorp would keep it on their home page. Take a look at 321Gone, HomeBuying, MyCar, and DateFree.

Yeah, note the "Sold" badge on it.

You said, "They would have taken down all traces of it if it was sold." I was responding to that.

Right, but it would be up with the sold badge.

Cool, but back to the topic at hand...

Yeah, again, Phil wouldn't scrap it as he experiences a surge in membership. More than likely he's revamping it. The comment system needs tweaking, the photos isn't finished, the debating module could be updated, etc.

More than likely, he's going to implement a new module.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 2:06:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 1:50:13 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yeah, again, Phil wouldn't scrap it as he experiences a surge in membership. More than likely he's revamping it. The comment system needs tweaking, the photos isn't finished, the debating module could be updated, etc.

More than likely, he's going to implement a new module.

A surge in membership? Remember, Phil makes hundreds of dollars per hour. How much does this "surge in membership" increase the $5/day rate that Phil makes off of DDO?

sidenote: I think I see where the description in the previous argument is. when someone sells a site, the buyer receives both the domain and the infrastructure. phil's previous sites don't exist, because the buyers, after a few years, decided to scrap them.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 2:13:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 2:06:49 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 1:50:13 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yeah, again, Phil wouldn't scrap it as he experiences a surge in membership. More than likely he's revamping it. The comment system needs tweaking, the photos isn't finished, the debating module could be updated, etc.

More than likely, he's going to implement a new module.

A surge in membership? Remember, Phil makes hundreds of dollars per hour. How much does this "surge in membership" increase the $5/day rate that Phil makes off of DDO?

More members = More bucks he can claim the site is worth. He wouldn't scrap a valuable-ish asset
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:13:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 2:39:02 PM, JBlake wrote:
I think it is more likely that nothing is happening at all. Neither sale, revamp, nor scrapping.

So being taking off eBay, Sedo, and WebCorp's for-sale list happened just cuz? Scrapping is unlikely, but something is going to happen. Phil had a reason for taking NewCars off the list, as we've seen. It just wouldn't make sense for Phil to arbitrarily take DDO off the list without a reason.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:16:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 3:13:47 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
So being taking off eBay, Sedo, and WebCorp's for-sale list happened just cuz? Scrapping is unlikely, but something is going to happen. Phil had a reason for taking NewCars off the list, as we've seen. It just wouldn't make sense for Phil to arbitrarily take DDO off the list without a reason.

You're overanalyzing it. Plus, you spend way too much time stalking WebCorp and Phil. :)
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:24:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
You're always very negative about DDO whenever something happens, PoeJoe. Why don't you lighten up a bit? This could be a positive sign. At the very least, its a sign of something - not necessarily doom and gloom, but something.

Personally, I doubt it was de-listed "just cuz." Even if there was no one inquiring about the website on Ebay and etc., there isn't a point to take it down unless he plans on doing something with it. It may have been sold, but my money is on that it is being revamped - it won't be scrapped, because we would have gotten a notice of it. Phil isn't about to leave us in the dark.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:32:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 3:24:08 PM, Volkov wrote:
You're always very negative about DDO whenever something happens, PoeJoe.

Yay! Perception about me has changed! :D
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:32:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 3:32:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 3:24:08 PM, Volkov wrote:
You're always very negative about DDO whenever something happens, PoeJoe.

Yay! Perception about me has changed! :D

Sarcasm?
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:34:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 3:32:47 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/24/2009 3:32:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/24/2009 3:24:08 PM, Volkov wrote:
You're always very negative about DDO whenever something happens, PoeJoe.

Yay! Perception about me has changed! :D

Sarcasm?

People used to say I was too optimistic about the site.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:36:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 3:34:03 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
People used to say I was too optimistic about the site.

I've never thought you were optimistic about this site.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:41:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/24/2009 3:36:52 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/24/2009 3:34:03 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
People used to say I was too optimistic about the site.

I've never thought you were optimistic about this site.

You joined when I started turning sour: http://www.debate.org...
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 3:57:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Wow, you're a little obsessed, PoeJoe... lol....
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.