Jump to topic:

Is Charleslb a troll?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 8:15:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Charleslb and I have had a discussion about his sense of morality.

I got less of a sense of his version of morality, and much more of a sense that he is probably the biggest troll on this website, much more than the RatMan, which is saying a lot.

He doesn't seem to be able to convey his thoughts and beliefs without snideness and a continual stream of insults.

Has anyone else been subject to this troll, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 8:29:00 AM
If charleslb is a troll, then he's a brilliant one that puts a lot of time and effort to it. He had his own website before askbob used it to call him.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 11:01:01 PM
At 1/9/2013 8:15:12 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

I got less of a sense of his version of morality, and much more of a sense that he is probably the biggest troll on this website, much more than the RatMan, which is saying a lot.

He doesn't seem to be able to convey his thoughts and beliefs without snideness and a continual stream of insults.

Has anyone else been subject to this troll, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Under this criteria, Richard Dawkins is a troll.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 11:17:54 PM
At 1/9/2013 11:01:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

Wait, he isn't?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 11:20:14 PM
At 1/9/2013 11:17:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/9/2013 11:01:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

Wait, he isn't?

Touche
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 11:31:18 PM
If by troll you are implying he's ungenuine, I don't think he is at all.

Besides in the ways we all are.

I randomly saw found him on a different forum once, posting one of his signature rants there.

Personally, I think he's one of the more underscored members of the site. He puts more thought and effort into what he says than many who criticize him would care to do themselves.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 12:23:40 AM
At 1/9/2013 11:31:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I randomly saw found him on a different forum once, posting one of his signature rants there.

Personally, I think he's one of the more underscored members of the site. He puts more thought and effort into what he says than many who criticize him would care to do themselves.

I wholly disagree. My last conversation with him consisted of little actual substance, and an entire litany of mockery and insults from him. After a while, I just stopped caring about his perspective, not because of his viewpoints, but because of his complete and utter lack of civility.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 12:40:30 AM
At 1/10/2013 12:23:40 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

I wholly disagree. My last conversation with him consisted of little actual substance, and an entire litany of mockery and insults from him. After a while, I just stopped caring about his perspective, not because of his viewpoints, but because of his complete and utter lack of civility.

Alright. That's not what I've witnessed from him in the forum. Maybe he's different on a personal level.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 12:49:02 AM
At 1/10/2013 12:40:30 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Alright. That's not what I've witnessed from him in the forum. Maybe he's different on a personal level.

I will have to admit that it is what I have as well. One time he posted some rant on the holidays making us forget about the suffering going on and I replied with a sourced statistic that we are more giving during the holidays, so they are actually raising awareness of it (though maybe not as much as he wants) and he never had a response other than to insult me.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 1:03:39 AM
I think a troll is person who posts to get a reaction from others rather than to make an argument. charleslb posts lengthy opinion pieces, so that part is not trolling. But he won't debate or even respond to counter arguments with anything other than insults. That part is trolling. Just block him and ignore the threads he starts.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 1:33:43 AM
At 1/10/2013 1:03:39 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think a troll is person who posts to get a reaction from others rather than to make an argument. charleslb posts lengthy opinion pieces, so that part is not trolling. But he won't debate or even respond to counter arguments with anything other than insults. That part is trolling. Just block him and ignore the threads he starts.

^

This has been my exact observation. Thank you.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 1:34:23 AM
At 1/10/2013 12:40:30 AM, FREEDO wrote:

No, this was in a forum discussion.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 4:43:58 AM
I don't think he is a troll, I just think that his points don't have merit.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 6:21:51 AM
Can you please name one member who has been here for over 6 months who has not insulted anybody at least once?

I thought not.

That's the culture of DDO, unfortunately. People mix insults with arguments all the time.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 6:47:34 AM
At 1/10/2013 6:21:51 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Can you please name one member who has been here for over 6 months who has not insulted anybody at least once?

I thought not.

That's the culture of DDO, unfortunately. People mix insults with arguments all the time.

I believe we are talking about ONLY doing that, if he can't refute.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 7:19:19 AM
Well, our insults are not 20 paragraphs long.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 7:41:12 AM
At 1/10/2013 6:47:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:

I thought not.

He does refute arguments. You just don't agree with the refutations. That does not mean he is a troll.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:04:07 AM
At 1/10/2013 7:19:19 AM, Mirza wrote:

Well, our insults are not 20 paragraphs long.

^ valid point
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:08:42 AM

Charleslb is either a troll or a severely morally depraved individual, or both. I've covered his sense of morality, it's displayed in my discussion with him in my signature. He's too partisan to be taken seriously, and people lose my respect when they try and defend his nonsense.

And yes, his rebuttals are generally insults lacking any sort of substantive content.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:39:09 AM
At 1/10/2013 4:43:58 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
I don't think he is a troll, I just think that his points don't have merit.

Just wait for the litany of insults. I think you will change your mind at that point.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:39:51 AM
At 1/10/2013 7:41:12 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I thought not.

He does refute arguments. You just don't agree with the refutations. That does not mean he is a troll.

Unfortunately that was not the case in the discussion I had with him. His refutations WERE INSULTS.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:43:47 AM
Before I forget, this is the thread in question:

http://debate.org...

I would like to say that I was very patient with him. It took about 4-5 direct comments that were purely insults before I could get him to state his definition of morality. I continually asked that he be a bit more civil in how he addressed people, all of which was met by...more insults.

After a while, I just got sick of it, and put him on my block list. This thread was clearly an attempt by him to troll.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:43:50 AM
At 1/10/2013 9:39:51 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/10/2013 7:41:12 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I thought not.

Unfortunately that was not the case in the discussion I had with him. His refutations WERE INSULTS.

Have you actually tried engaging him on a substantive level? Most people just post shallow arguments mixed with insults in response to his claims and expect him to not use insults in response. Like, the vast majority of responses to him are just attacks on his writing style. I've engaged with is arguments on a substantive level, and he has never insulted me even once.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:45:52 AM
At 1/10/2013 9:43:47 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
Before I forget, this is the thread in question:

http://debate.org...

I would like to say that I was very patient with him. It took about 4-5 direct comments that were purely insults before I could get him to state his definition of morality. I continually asked that he be a bit more civil in how he addressed people, all of which was met by...more insults.

After a while, I just got sick of it, and put him on my block list. This thread was clearly an attempt by him to troll.

Right off the bat I see two people insulting him. People create a hostile environment and expect him to not respond for whatever reason.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:48:24 AM

I thought not.

I certainly have not deliberately insulted anyone, although I cannot say if people feel insulted. I haven't done a survey, but I doubt that a third of the members systematically insult people. the purpose of making insults is to draw attention, and that works so well that it seems like there are a lot more of them then there are.

There's an important difference between attacking a person and attacking an argument. Arguments come and go, the people endure.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:48:46 AM
Yeah, you're straight up lying about him not responding to the substance. I only see him insulting you so far with regards to your comment about how he deactivated his account.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:52:06 AM

I thought not.

*points finger at myself*
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:54:29 AM
Ok, I skimmed your discussion. You were claiming that some actions are above morality and Charles denies this and notes that all actions should be subject to moral judgments. You also assert that the fault lies with the Bush administration/government and not the generals, but Charles is arguing that this type of reasoning removes any sort of moral onus on individuals and dehumanizes them entirely. They're still responsible for doing what they did even if they were only following orders (which was established by international law in the Nuremburg Trials). I don't see how he is failing to respond. You just didn't like the direction the discussion went in so you wrote him off as a troll. Does he use insults? Sure, but only as a way to challenge your assumptions. Should he use insults? No, but I don't thin he's using ad hominem or trolling; I think he's just using them to make a point.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 10:01:05 AM
At 1/10/2013 9:08:42 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Charleslb is either a troll or a severely morally depraved individual, or both. I've covered his sense of morality, it's displayed in my discussion with him in my signature.
That's a massive strawman of his claim. He never was justifying what the Soviet Union did; he was merely pointing out that it's not much different from what the US did/does and was claiming that the Soviet Union is vilified simply because of its ideological stances while the US skates through criticism.

Charleslb is Anarchist Communist.

Also, I'm not sure why you're attacking his conception of morality considering that your own Aristotelian conception involves inventing fantasy bonds that individuals have to adhere because their community says so and civilization is more important than the people within it. That ideology has been used to justify severe oppression throughout the world. It's pretty hypocritical for you to attack him like that when your ideology does even worse things.
He's too partisan to be taken seriously, and people lose my respect when they try and defend his nonsense.

And yes, his rebuttals are generally insults lacking any sort of substantive content.

Not true at all. He responds to insults with insults. I've never insulted him or labeled him a troll, and he's never insulted me. Your responses to him were extremely insulting, however, so he responded in kind.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 10:19:13 AM
At 1/10/2013 9:48:24 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

I thought not.

I certainly have not deliberately insulted anyone, although I cannot say if people feel insulted. I haven't done a survey, but I doubt that a third of the members systematically insult people. the purpose of making insults is to draw attention, and that works so well that it seems like there are a lot more of them then there are.

There's an important difference between attacking a person and attacking an argument. Arguments come and go, the people endure.

^