Jump to topic:

Need LD Debate NFL private coach

balajiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 8:26:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I need a private debate coach to help my kid. We are looking for help via skype/electronically and seeking help in specific the following.

1. Do you think you will be able to help the kid to write more policy style arguments (specifically K's)? My kid is usually a stock debater, but I think it will be nice if I could branch out and vary my start a bit.

2. Do you think you can help the kid to write more nuanced, less stock positions just to have them?

3. How exactly will you help the kid with casing (other than edits)?

If you are available to help, how much do you charge and what forms of payment do you accept?

Please let us know. Thanks so much.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 8:45:39 AM
You dont need a private debate coach.

Send your kid to a debate camp over the summer. S/He will learn a ton about theory, strategy, how to research, and will develop a network of debaters they can keep up with online.

Make sure your kid is networking at tournaments. Make sure they are getting the most feedback possible from judges and WRITING DOWN that feedback. Make sure they are keeping their flows, watching and flowing out-rounds. Have him write round RFDs after every debate he observes to help him understand how judges think. They will improve a lot just by watching better teams- they can even steal their arguments by reconstructing them from the flow.

Have your kid talk to other debaters and coaches at tournaments, he will learn a lot in this way.

If S/He is doing all of this, at the end of each tournament they should have plenty of material to keep them busy for the month or so until the next tournament.

Maybe you want a resource to go to if there are technical questions- go to cross-x.com or some other website and post in the forums.

I really doubt getting a private coach will improve performance nearly as much as doing all of the above.
Center_for_Rationality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 10:59:10 AM
I'll do it!!
LOL
1. I could help with Policy style debate but remember LD judges hate policy style debate. It seems to me like Policy is evidence based for LD, they talk about values and argumentation.
2. To sound unique in a debate one must argue effectively from begining to end. The "stock" position is one in which sounds like a robot. I would think that the best way to get comfortable, pose questions to the audience, write like a narrative.
3. With regards to helping with his case, I really believe research is the key to sucessful case, I can do that. Plus I should mention that being a effective writer(which I can teach even though my spelling and grammar are somewhat lacking) is a important part of your case. You have to be able to communicate complex concepts in a short amount of time.

I don't charge money unless you start taking a significant amount of time(for example if I am to tutor this kid for a year I might ask for 30 dollars), except if you want to send my family a webcam so I can talk on Skype. LOL

In all honesty, most of the time you can learn LD by yourself. I bet other debators would be better suited to help you.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 12:46:54 PM
Just get access to a college library or purchase a subscription to JSTOR. All your student needs to do is start researching by herself instead of using stock.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 11:59:16 PM
At 1/13/2013 8:45:39 AM, Raisor wrote:
You dont need a private debate coach.

Send your kid to a debate camp over the summer. S/He will learn a ton about theory, strategy, how to research, and will develop a network of debaters they can keep up with online.

Make sure your kid is networking at tournaments. Make sure they are getting the most feedback possible from judges and WRITING DOWN that feedback. Make sure they are keeping their flows, watching and flowing out-rounds. Have him write round RFDs after every debate he observes to help him understand how judges think. They will improve a lot just by watching better teams- they can even steal their arguments by reconstructing them from the flow.

Have your kid talk to other debaters and coaches at tournaments, he will learn a lot in this way.

If S/He is doing all of this, at the end of each tournament they should have plenty of material to keep them busy for the month or so until the next tournament.

Maybe you want a resource to go to if there are technical questions- go to cross-x.com or some other website and post in the forums.

I really doubt getting a private coach will improve performance nearly as much as doing all of the above.

Out of curiosity, how do you research for debates?

I do it the long, hard way - type in keywords on google and go through a lot of irrelevant rubbish before I find good sites. But then, I've never formally debated in high school so I don't know. Do you have any tips?