Jump to topic:

Story-writing tournament

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 12:02:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Once upon a time, I started up a story-writing debating tournament. Want to start another one up and see how it goes.

The ideas of a story-writing debating tournament are rather straight-forward. For those that do not understand, I will briefly outline how it works.

My set-up:
- Five rounds
- 8000 max characters
- 72 hours per "argument" (this would be more like "continuation" per se)
- 2 weeks voting period

Voting guidelines:
S&G and obvious are remains normal
Conduct remains neutral unless one side forfeits
Arguments are awarded for the most interesting continuations
Sources are awarded for the better development (better writing style) of the story

This tournament will be knock-outs (loser will be eliminated) and if there is a tie, I will make the final decision (I will not vote on any of the stories). And, if there is a clear case of a VB at the last minute before votes can be changed, the victor and continuer for the tournament will be given to one who "deserved" to have been the victor of the "debate".

Hope I've made myself clear.

How it works

The Instigator will begin the story either in R1 or R2 (with R1 being acceptance only). The Instigator always begin the story however way they wish, and the contender must continue the story.

Last round is the concluding round (conclusion of the story).

Pretty straight-forward really.

Sign-ups:

Good Luck and get your creative juices flowing.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 12:13:35 AM
Put me down as a potential reserve for now. I'm definitely out prior to February. I believe I can write, and have done such a 'debate' before - http://www.debate.org... .

I presume that all tournament members must vote on the debates? Otherwise nobody will vote...
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 12:21:00 AM
I'll be gone for a week in February (till the ninth). If it starts after that I'll join.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 5:28:42 PM
1. LoR (maybe)
2. BossyBurrito (available after 9th Feb)
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 7:34:09 PM
I'll join. But I would avoid being the instigator whenever possible.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 9:23:09 PM
At 1/14/2013 7:34:09 PM, MouthWash wrote:

ok then. I'll make you the contender if that is your wish.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 9:23:35 PM
1. LoR (maybe)
3. ConservativePolitico
4. Mouthwash (contender)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 10:55:44 PM
At 1/14/2013 9:23:09 PM, famer wrote:

What are you talking about? I said I would try and be the contender- what control would you have over that?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:31:47 AM
At 1/14/2013 10:55:44 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 1/14/2013 9:23:09 PM, famer wrote:

What are you talking about? I said I would try and be the contender- what control would you have over that?

as TD I choose the pairings, including Intigator and Contender.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:37:44 AM
Alrighty, then.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 7:08:01 AM
put me down as a maybe...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 8:57:08 AM
It's not fair to let people choose to be contenders. They will be getting a 25 point ELO advantage every round based on the formula. You should make the pairings random.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:03:14 PM
At 1/14/2013 9:23:35 PM, famer wrote:
1. LoR (maybe)
3. ConservativePolitico
4. Mouthwash (contender)
7. Lannan13

Must we not temp fate?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:33:44 PM
1. LoR (maybe)
3. ConservativePolitico
4. Mouthwash (contender)
5. Kinesis
6. TUF
7. Lannan13
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:52:33 PM
At 1/15/2013 8:54:46 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I'm game. I would prefer contender though xD
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:01:53 PM
At 1/15/2013 8:57:08 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
It's not fair to let people choose to be contenders. They will be getting a 25 point ELO advantage every round based on the formula. You should make the pairings random.

I don't think anyone but you even cares about that.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:03:44 PM
Here it is:
1. LoR (maybe)
3. ConservativePolitico
4. Mouthwash (contender)
5. Kinesis
6. TUF
7. Lannan13
8. Zaradi (contender)

When do we start? Will it be without BB? I don't want to have to wait a month for him.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:09:16 PM
At 1/15/2013 1:01:53 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Oh, really? That's why you asked to be contender, right? The very fact that you asked means that YOU care.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:18:46 PM
At 1/15/2013 1:09:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/15/2013 1:01:53 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Oh, really? That's why you asked to be contender, right? The very fact that you asked means that YOU care.

I think what he is talking about is about the ELO advantage.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:26:18 PM
At 1/15/2013 1:03:44 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Here it is:
1. LoR (maybe)
3. ConservativePolitico
4. Mouthwash (contender)
5. Kinesis
6. TUF
7. Lannan13
8. Zaradi (contender)

When do we start? Will it be without BB? I don't want to have to wait a month for him.

Oh, I'm available up until the second.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:41:28 PM
OMG WHY I MISSED THIS IDK, i had so much fun with TUF the last time i participated in this >_>
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 3:37:24 PM
At 1/15/2013 1:41:28 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
OMG WHY I MISSED THIS IDK, i had so much fun with TUF the last time i participated in this >_>

just take lannans place ;-0
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:31:29 PM
At 1/15/2013 3:37:24 PM, TUF wrote:

just take lannans place ;-0

Just take it to the grave.

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:57:56 PM

I never expected it to have filled up so quickly. I'll ask my good friend LoR if he's going to participate in this tournament. If he can't start right now, you can take his place.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:59:36 PM
At 1/15/2013 1:26:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Here it is:
1. LoR (maybe)
3. ConservativePolitico
4. Mouthwash (contender)
5. Kinesis
6. TUF
7. Lannan13
8. Zaradi (contender)

Would you be able to participate in the tournament now? Because if we delay it too much, people might not end up being bothered to participate.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 5:00:31 PM
At 1/15/2013 4:59:36 PM, famer wrote:
At 1/15/2013 1:26:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Here it is:
1. LoR (maybe)
3. ConservativePolitico
4. Mouthwash (contender)
5. Kinesis
6. TUF
7. Lannan13
8. Zaradi (contender)

Would you be able to participate in the tournament now? Because if we delay it too much, people might not end up being bothered to participate.

Oh, and maybe (if your opposition agrees with it), set it to a shorter time control so you can be finished with your debate/story before the 2nd.