Jump to topic:

Why Do People Votebomb?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 2:49:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just something I find curious. What exactly is the reason for votebombing? In the majority of cases, it's because they want to vote for the side they agree with, but why? Why does it matter if your side wins or loses? You want to believe in the position with the better argument, so if your side does lose a debate (in the objective sense regardless of votes) it either means he didn't argue well enough which just means that the reasons for holding that belief weren't adequately presented so you shouldn't care; or that your side doesn't hold the strongest support in which case, votebombing does nothing to save you.

Obviously no one's going to post here and say why they votebomb because no one's going to admit to votebombing, but I do hope all votebombers take it to ask to themselves. Votebombing is utterly pointless which all the more increases the fact that it's extremely detrimental to the quality of this site.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:09:40 AM
I get that rush of knowing that the position I supported will likely win the debate. It isn't important what is said in the debate - only what sides they are advocating for. When someone who agrees with my ideology debates a topic, I want to see a big "winning" next to their name. Also, I think I can change the world by voting on debates. Let's say someone debates saying that assault weapons should be banned, voting in their favor creates a rush inside of me and I imagine that Obama and the state legislature will be meticulously reading through every debate on this site before making a decision on whether to ban assault weapons. In these scenarios I can't leave my guy on the losing side.

The other reason I votebomb is if one of my "friends" are participating in a debate. For instance, if someone I know well is debating, I make sure to vote in their favor. No one likes a traitor, right? The opposite applies to enemies. Voting against them creates a rush as if I am on crack cocaine and there is a huge feeling of elation as if you just stuck it to them and acted like a man instead of being a wussy who is afrain to throw in a votebomb on his enemies every now and then.

I also like to pick on people who cannot retaliate, like foreginers for instance. If Tvellalott or Logic_on_Rails is debating a topic for example, I'll vote against him just to see their angry reactions. I won't even give RFDs. They can't retaliate because they can't vote. If someone like Ore_Ele is having a debate, I'll vote him down just to puncture his ELO score. I am morally opposed to people who spend time crunching numbers and a votebomb will surely be a big blow to their ego.

In short, there are many reasons to votebomb. In my case, it comes down to supporting my position, voting up my friends, voting down my enemies and picking on people who can't retaliate. It provides a rush of adrenaline. You should try it sometime Phantom.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 8:51:10 AM
It gives people a false sense of power. In one of my recent debates, someone gave my opponent Arguments points but their RFD was shoddy. Someone countered what they perceived as a vote-bomb from said person, and said person responded to give all 7 points to my opponent as opposed to just the 3 for Arguments. He also warned "Edit: Countering my counter. Any further counters will be countered."

First, this was unfair because he punished me for someone else countering what they perceived was a v-bomb from him based on his insufficient RFD. Second, LOL he can't give my opponent more than 7 points anyhow, so this wasn't much of a threat. But the point is, the ability to v-bomb clearly made him feel empowered. He must have issues.
President of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 4:08:47 PM
People vote bomb for two reasons. They are ideologically brainwashed and to that end can't cope with the idea that their ideological position is based on feelings based illogical nonsense. And two, they hate you because you are not brainwashed like them. So they vote bomb you to make them feel better about their feelings based intellectual insecurity.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 4:41:10 PM
At 1/19/2013 3:09:40 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I get that rush of knowing that the position I supported will likely win the debate. It isn't important what is said in the debate - only what sides they are advocating for. When someone who agrees with my ideology debates a topic, I want to see a big "winning" next to their name. Also, I think I can change the world by voting on debates. Let's say someone debates saying that assault weapons should be banned, voting in their favor creates a rush inside of me and I imagine that Obama and the state legislature will be meticulously reading through every debate on this site before making a decision on whether to ban assault weapons. In these scenarios I can't leave my guy on the losing side.

The other reason I votebomb is if one of my "friends" are participating in a debate. For instance, if someone I know well is debating, I make sure to vote in their favor. No one likes a traitor, right? The opposite applies to enemies. Voting against them creates a rush as if I am on crack cocaine and there is a huge feeling of elation as if you just stuck it to them and acted like a man instead of being a wussy who is afrain to throw in a votebomb on his enemies every now and then.

I also like to pick on people who cannot retaliate, like foreginers for instance. If Tvellalott or Logic_on_Rails is debating a topic for example, I'll vote against him just to see their angry reactions. I won't even give RFDs. They can't retaliate because they can't vote. If someone like Ore_Ele is having a debate, I'll vote him down just to puncture his ELO score. I am morally opposed to people who spend time crunching numbers and a votebomb will surely be a big blow to their ego.

In short, there are many reasons to votebomb. In my case, it comes down to supporting my position, voting up my friends, voting down my enemies and picking on people who can't retaliate. It provides a rush of adrenaline. You should try it sometime Phantom.

lol this was hilarious.
Tsar of DDO