Jump to topic:

Votebombing Deterent Call-Out Thread

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:06:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
In light of the other thread I just made (https://www.debate.org...) I thought I would add this one as well.

The point of this thread is to deter votebombing as best we can. People usually care about their reputation to a certain extent. Sometimes votebombing is concealed enough so that only the debaters can tell it was a votebomb. The objections to the vote then get hardly seen as they're left in the comments section of the debate or buried in the sticky thread that's constantly being posted in. This thread is solely devoted to votebombing.

I'm hoping this thread will help deter people from votebombing for the risk of being called out in front of the whole community.

If it helps at all, it's achieved its purpose.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:06:50 AM
I'll start off with two people.

GarretKadeDupre

RFD: "Burden of proof was on Pro, and while he didn't meet it according to atheist standards, Con didn't refute his main arguments. But I'm not an atheist, and I don't think atheism isn't the status quo; I'm Catholic, and agree that Allah is the real God. Spelling and Grammar points to Con because Pro didn't use proper punctuation."

In this debate https://www.debate.org...

This RFD in itself does not look entirely like a votebomb, just a poor vote. However the person he voted for, forfeited three rounds of the debate meaning Garret didn't even glance through the debate, let alone read it.

1historygenius

A while back I sent a message to Airmax. I'll repost it here.

1. http://www.debate.org...

RFD "What's with all the spacing between comments? I felt Pro did better building common ground between the two ideological allies. Their ideologies are similar while they may not be identical. In addition, Pro did a good job explaining conservatism and libertariansm and showing how they compare very well. Pro had a good amount of sources while Con did not. "

All he does, like with most of his RFD's, is as SP noted, restate his position. He doesn't explain the arguments, just ambiguously says pro accomplished this and that.

He also never explains his grammar/spelling points either when it was obvious from reading the debate that pro actually had poor grammar and spelling.

2. http://www.debate.org...

" This was generally a poor debate, but Con did better. Con was able to refute Pro's argments and built his own strong argments. Con used more reliable sources than Pro."

Again, mere assertions. Even worse than the last one especially for the source points.

3. http://www.debate.org...

"A very close debate, but Con's arguments held out and he was able to refute Pro's attacks."

4. http://www.debate.org...

One of his votes on my debates. Thett actually offered to counter it but I wanted him to give an actual vote and didn't care much at the time.

"Very, very close. Con had good arguments for refuting deterrence (which Con then used to his advantage) and Pro dropped an argument. Good arguments for Con, but the point of conduct for Pro for his strong debating. Con had generally better sources and Pro had less sources."

Pure assertions

5. http://www.debate.org...

"This was quite an easy debate. Pro was able to refute all of Con's points and make a good case."

6. http://www.debate.org...

"I thought that this was a good debate. To me, TUF did better."

7. http://www.debate.org...

"I generally agree with Pro's choices for battles."

8. http://www.debate.org...

"Con was successfully able to refute Pro's points being that there were pre-supposed points. However, point for Pro as he did a good job."

9. http://www.debate.org...

"Con did far better in proving his arguments and he had better sources."

If he did read the debates, he would easily be able to write much more detailed RFD's.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:27:23 AM
hahaha I don't know what made me laugh harder- the fact that you made a votebombing call-out thread or the gif maikuru posted in response to it.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:48:20 AM
I don't see what's so humorous.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:50:39 AM
At 1/19/2013 3:48:20 AM, phantom wrote:

Well, a lot of things. First, it's sad that you had to make it at all. So that's funny. Second, it's funny that you're calling people out for doing something so silly.

And as for the gif, I mean, did you watch it? I had to watch it a few times in a row. Made me laugh every time.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:54:48 AM
At 1/19/2013 3:50:39 AM, Oryus wrote:

Well, a lot of things. First, it's sad that you had to make it at all. So that's funny. Second, it's funny that you're calling people out for doing something so silly.

And as for the gif, I mean, did you watch it? I had to watch it a few times in a row. Made me laugh every time.

I'm always curious as to how people find those. I mean, how do you search for that? "Asian girl flailing arms happily gif?"
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:26:25 AM

Okay, I did write it a bit peculiarly, but what can I say, it was 4:30am and I was in debate mode from writing up a response just beforehand.

But we've had a thread similar to this before. I don't remember anyone thinking it was "sad".

Perhaps I'm not good at being at the but end of jokes.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 8:39:52 AM
I reported 1historygenius a while ago. He's terrible.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 8:42:51 AM
At 1/19/2013 3:54:48 AM, OberHerr wrote:

I'm always curious as to how people find those. I mean, how do you search for that? "Asian girl flailing arms happily gif?"

I think they just browse on tumblr and save or remember what they think will be useful.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 8:52:39 AM
At 1/19/2013 8:42:51 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

I think they just browse on tumblr and save or remember what they think will be useful.

The Internet goes far deeper than tumblr.
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 9:24:47 AM
At 1/19/2013 8:52:39 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/19/2013 8:42:51 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

The Internet goes far deeper than tumblr.

GTFO...where?
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 10:17:16 AM
I wouldnt call historygenius a votebomber... But I would definitely classify him as a dumba** who votes based on what his ideology tells him, not based on any actual arguments he reads in debates..... Sort of like 16kadams
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 10:44:01 AM
At 1/19/2013 10:17:16 AM, imabench wrote:
a dumba** who votes based on what his ideology tells him, not based on any actual arguments he reads in debates.

Does anyone have a better definition of "vote-bomber?"
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 10:46:15 AM
At 1/19/2013 10:44:01 AM, Wnope wrote:
a dumba** who votes based on what his ideology tells him, not based on any actual arguments he reads in debates.

a dumba** who ALWAYS votes based on what his ideology tells him, not based on any actual arguments he reads in debates.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 2:25:56 PM

"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 2:27:01 PM
At 1/19/2013 10:46:15 AM, imabench wrote:

a dumba** who ALWAYS votes based on what his ideology tells him, not based on any actual arguments he reads in debates.

So your saying someone who votes bombs is okay, as long as he only does it once or twice?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 2:35:21 PM
At 1/19/2013 5:26:25 AM, phantom wrote:

Okay, I did write it a bit peculiarly, but what can I say, it was 4:30am and I was in debate mode from writing up a response just beforehand.

But we've had a thread similar to this before. I don't remember anyone thinking it was "sad".

haha no, no. You're not at the butt end of a joke here at all. You're misunderstanding me. Vote-bombers are the butt-end of this joke. It's sad you have to make this because it's too bad they do it. That's not your fault. And I laugh at them for being called out.
:
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:33:46 PM
At 1/19/2013 3:06:50 AM, phantom wrote:
I'll start off with two people.

GarretKadeDupre

This user is certifiably thick. I don't think it's an intentional misgiving on his part, he's just a loon. That said, I take solace in the knowledge that there are others on the site (Double R, F-16, Roy, WSA, Ore Ele, and a whole bloody lot of others) who judge well. That's rather how this sort of democratically oriented voting thing on DDO fortunately works. There are many more sane people than loons. Moreover, there is always the CVB.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:35:50 PM
At 1/19/2013 2:27:01 PM, TUF wrote:

So your saying someone who votes bombs is okay, as long as he only does it once or twice?

They are in my book

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 4:40:45 PM
At 1/19/2013 2:35:21 PM, Oryus wrote:

haha no, no. You're not at the butt end of a joke here at all. You're misunderstanding me. Vote-bombers are the butt-end of this joke. It's sad you have to make this because it's too bad they do it. That's not your fault. And I laugh at them for being called out.

Ah good, I don't have to burn your house down after all.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 4:41:53 PM
At 1/19/2013 4:40:45 PM, phantom wrote:

Damn. I really wanted to make some lemonade.
:
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 4:46:46 PM
At 1/19/2013 4:41:53 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/19/2013 4:40:45 PM, phantom wrote:

Damn. I really wanted to make some lemonade.

Burn your own house down then.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:02:35 PM
At 1/19/2013 8:39:52 AM, Noumena wrote:
I reported 1historygenius a while ago. He's terrible.

The general consensus is that he is undeserving of his name and of his generally air of superiority that he directs to other members.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:09:51 PM
At 1/19/2013 3:35:50 PM, imabench wrote:

They are in my book

Says the person who hijacked his debate
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:18:05 PM
At 1/19/2013 5:09:51 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/19/2013 3:35:50 PM, imabench wrote:

They are in my book

Youre still crying about that?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:31:05 PM
At 1/19/2013 5:09:51 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

By the way, way to bring up something completely unrelated to the topic, but I guess when mindless idiots like you cant come up with a legit counter argument all they can do is mention something completely irrelevant.....

Also Bossy, I know you have the memory span and brainpower of a dead raccoon so ill run through why i did that again:

1) History claimed that the vietnam war was a glorious victory for the US and it should be celebrated, a statement which everyone has agreed is ludicrous bullsh*t and history himself has said that he'll read up on the subject to see if hes right or wrong (A statement which in itself defeats the idea that hes somehow the master historian of the site).

2) I offered him the chance to debate him on the subject of whether or not the US won the Vietnam War. He declined by claiming that A) It would be a landslide victory for him, which is the most childish, spineless way to back out of a debate, And B) That he was too busy anyways.

3) 15 minutes after claiming that he was too busy to debate me on the Vietnam War, he started a debate about Obama's economic policy that was open for anyone to accept..... It doesnt take a scientist to figure out that History was thus bullsh*tting everyone with his excuse that he was too busy to debate me about the Vietnam War.

4) After taking into account History's clear lack of intelligence regarding the topic, his blatant douchebaggary, along with his complete lack of courage to back up what he claims in debates (A trait he shares with Geo), I decided to hijack his obama debate and debate the Vietnam war with him, which he still refused to do.

If you would have done something different had you been in this scenario, then I want you to know I do not give a genuine f*ck about what you would have done because I sincerely do not care

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:35:23 PM
So you think votes are more important than the debate itself?

It doesn't matter what he said or did in the forums. You blatantly took a debate and changed the resolution. Do you dispute that?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:42:30 PM
At 1/19/2013 5:35:23 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Theyre equal in my opinion, but putting words in my mouth is another act that idiots resort to when they cant make a half decent counter argument....

It doesn't matter what he said or did in the forums. You blatantly took a debate and changed the resolution. Do you dispute that?

No I dont dispute that, changing the resolution of debates is how I got famous around here (poop has dna)

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 5:44:27 PM
At 1/19/2013 5:42:30 PM, imabench wrote:
At 1/19/2013 5:35:23 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Theyre equal in my opinion, but putting words in my mouth is another act that idiots resort to when they cant make a half decent counter argument....

No I dont dispute that, changing the resolution of debates is how I got famous around here (poop has dna)

I meant resolutions that could actually be debated.

Case closed.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush