Jump to topic:

rationalmadman

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 2:04:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Harassing people, ignoring Airmax's warnings and bad behavior basically I think.

Also he made a new account during his first temporary ban
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 2:39:20 PM
Late last month.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 4:10:29 PM
Oh, you asked when not why...Fail.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:05:39 PM
At 1/20/2013 6:44:41 PM, natoast wrote:
Isn't there normally a trail for that, or is that only the really controversial ones?

We generally do have a trial before permanently banning members. There are a few exceptions though and that includes cases where a member is regularly harassing other members.

Because we want members to always feel comfortable to report incidences of harassment and being forced to 'testify' in a trial would discourage this, I determined it would not be appropriate in this case.

Instead, I, along with several other members, determined that significant cases of harassment were taking place (the offending member had been warned several times about it as well) and that a summary ban was necessary.

I'd like to point out that everything was done to determine the validity of any accusations against the member, and everything was done to avoid having to ban the member. In extremely rare cases, like this one, a summery banning is entirely necessary and while perhaps viewed as unfair, would be even more unfair to the rest of the membership not to take place.

So while I support the trial system and will use it when it is possible, it simply wasn't possible or appropriate in this case.
Debate.org Moderator
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 10:49:35 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:05:39 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Isn't there normally a trail for that, or is that only the really controversial ones?

We generally do have a trial before permanently banning members. There are a few exceptions though and that includes cases where a member is regularly harassing other members.

Because we want members to always feel comfortable to report incidences of harassment and being forced to 'testify' in a trial would discourage this, I determined it would not be appropriate in this case.

Instead, I, along with several other members, determined that significant cases of harassment were taking place (the offending member had been warned several times about it as well) and that a summary ban was necessary.

I'd like to point out that everything was done to determine the validity of any accusations against the member, and everything was done to avoid having to ban the member. In extremely rare cases, like this one, a summery banning is entirely necessary and while perhaps viewed as unfair, would be even more unfair to the rest of the membership not to take place.

So while I support the trial system and will use it when it is possible, it simply wasn't possible or appropriate in this case.

1st Ban him, then do a trial.
If he's acquitted, invite him back.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 9:30:55 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:05:39 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I say we make Bluesteel the official Prosecutor of DDO.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:18:34 AM
I don't know the specifics of ratman's case, but trials are only appropriate when there is doubt that site rules were violated, such as possible multi-accounting or borderline abusive behavior. If it's clear, I think the site owners have to act to protect their investment in the site.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:27:12 AM
At 1/25/2013 7:18:34 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I don't know the specifics of ratman's case, but trials are only appropriate when there is doubt that site rules were violated, such as possible multi-accounting or borderline abusive behavior. If it's clear, I think the site owners have to act to protect their investment in the site.

What investment? They're not making any money off of this (other than the adds).
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:44:17 AM
I like it how Roy calls him Ratman :p
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 12:38:56 PM
At 1/25/2013 7:44:17 AM, famer wrote:
I like it how Roy calls him Ratman :p

I call him the RatMan...:D
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:03:32 AM
On a philosophical level, I oppose banning members for almost any reason. But even more strongly do I oppose people harassing others repeatedly. This is the internet (and thick skin IS a virtue when online), but there is a threshold that no one should be allowed to cross. It seems like the user in question crossed it, unfortunately. As this is the internet, we all post at the convenience of those who own/run/operate this site... and that's just what it comes down to.
Tsar of DDO