Jump to topic:

I don't get this percentile bullsh*t

LatentDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 6:21:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
How is this woman in 97th percentile of a site meant to have the best of the best on it?

Observe her losses...

http://www.debate.org...
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 6:32:18 PM
Percentile is solely based on the number of wins you have.

I heard anyone who has 47 (this number is approximate) will be within the 99th Percentile, regardless of how many ties and losses you have.

ELO is a more accurate measure of someone's skill level in relation to the debates he/she has completed, so you can more or less ignore the percentile rank whenever you are interested in understanding some person's skill level with debating.

Also, as one would expect, the more debates you have done, the more accurate measure of your skill level.

Hope you understand how it works now :)
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 6:33:55 PM
At 1/30/2013 6:21:28 PM, LatentDebater wrote:
How is this woman in 97th percentile of a site meant to have the best of the best on it?

Observe her losses...

Because it's determined by sheer wins and out of 58,666 members, 55,249 have 0 wins (49,720 haven't debated at all).
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 6:34:38 PM
lol

dairygirl4u2c is legendary.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 6:40:47 PM
At 1/30/2013 6:33:55 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 1/30/2013 6:21:28 PM, LatentDebater wrote:

Observe her losses...

Because it's determined by sheer wins and out of 58,666 members, 55,249 have 0 wins (49,720 haven't debated at all).

Exac-it-aly.

Hence ELO rankings.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 6:46:45 PM
At 1/30/2013 6:32:18 PM, famer wrote:

I heard anyone who has 47 (this number is approximate) will be within the 99th Percentile, regardless of how many ties and losses you have.

ELO is a more accurate measure of someone's skill level in relation to the debates he/she has completed, so you can more or less ignore the percentile rank whenever you are interested in understanding some person's skill level with debating.

Also, as one would expect, the more debates you have done, the more accurate measure of your skill level.

RyuuKyuzo has like 32 and he is 99th percentile. Losses and ties factor in slightly.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 7:14:56 PM

Take into consideration that number is always changing since more and more people are debating thus entering the leaderboard. For example, it was around 30 when I first joined.

"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 7:18:26 PM
At 1/30/2013 6:46:45 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

RyuuKyuzo has like 32 and he is 99th percentile. Losses and ties factor in slightly.

Actually famer was just incorrect. Currently you need 30 wins to enter the 99th percentile. I guess the number I first said it was when I joined was wrong.

And ties and losses don't counter in.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)