I am curious of DDO's rules.

Mutineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 6:36:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Upon looking at this member he seems very well established on the site.

However, he seems to bleat the F-word more than any word relating to the resolution.

Is this acceptable behaviour to this community?
Want to make a good man to evil things? Give him religion.

Want to make an evil man do good things? Give him religion.

There's always a catch isn't there ;)
Mutineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:21:55 AM
At 2/3/2013 7:20:23 AM, drafterman wrote:
Because he's awesome.

Sorry but how does this warrant the right to violate the terms of use of DDO?

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:30:38 AM
At 2/3/2013 7:21:55 AM, Mutineer wrote:
Because he's awesome.

Well, you're violating it now, since this is a personal attack against another user (Content Posted and Code of Conduct, T, 2).

Also, since profanity is technically forbidden, he didn't technically swear as "fvck" isn't a word. He might as well as said "bleep." So, in this instance, you're in more violation of the Terms than he is.

There are two issues here:
The rules of the site, and the rules of the community. You were asking about why this is accepted in the community. That is, why do we, as a culture, tolerate, accept, or even encourage this?

Like I said, brian is awesome. All of his debates are only semi-serious. I wouldn't call his debates troll debates because he argues them rather well. Instead I would call them, unorthodoxed. They're satire in the vein of "A Modest Proposal." They're fun, they cause you to think. He is well known for them. Most importantly is, if you didn't like his opening argument, why did you accept the debate?! This is like joining a boxing tournament only then to file assault charges against your opponent when he hits you.

As far as the terms, they are generally applied when someone is so egregious as to unquestionably cause harm to the site or its members, or enough members complain. I don't really like at them as rules to be enforced in ever case of breach, but rather give DDO/Juggle the authority to ban people who violate them when they need to.
Mutineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:37:18 AM
At 2/3/2013 7:30:38 AM, drafterman wrote:
Because he's awesome.

Well, you're violating it now, since this is a personal attack against another user (Content Posted and Code of Conduct, T, 2).

Also, since profanity is technically forbidden, he didn't technically swear as "fvck" isn't a word. He might as well as said "bleep." So, in this instance, you're in more violation of the Terms than he is.

The rules of the site, and the rules of the community. You were asking about why this is accepted in the community. That is, why do we, as a culture, tolerate, accept, or even encourage this?

Like I said, brian is awesome. All of his debates are only semi-serious. I wouldn't call his debates troll debates because he argues them rather well. Instead I would call them, unorthodoxed. They're satire in the vein of "A Modest Proposal." They're fun, they cause you to think. He is well known for them. Most importantly is, if you didn't like his opening argument, why did you accept the debate?! This is like joining a boxing tournament only then to file assault charges against your opponent when he hits you.

As far as the terms, they are generally applied when someone is so egregious as to unquestionably cause harm to the site or its members, or enough members complain. I don't really like at them as rules to be enforced in ever case of breach, but rather give DDO/Juggle the authority to ban people who violate them when they need to.

I took it because I believe I can win it.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:38:37 AM
At 2/3/2013 7:37:18 AM, Mutineer wrote:
At 2/3/2013 7:30:38 AM, drafterman wrote:
Because he's awesome.

I took it because I believe I can win it.

Not with your paper thin skin.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:39:52 AM
You really should work on not making yourself obvious. No true new member has ever tried to point out double standards or whatever.
Mutineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:52:32 AM
What are you going on about?

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:54:55 AM
That reminds me, don't suppose anybody will tell me the dark ritual that allows you to post swear words uncensored? I know you can get around it by saying I like turtles, but I've seen people say f-ck by itself.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 7:56:49 AM
At 2/3/2013 7:54:55 AM, Kinesis wrote:
That reminds me, don't suppose anybody will tell me the dark ritual that allows you to post swear words uncensored? I know you can get around it my saying fuckshitballsbuckets, but I've seen people say f-ck by itself.

There's an ASCII character that is basically a filler and doesn't leave a space between two characters. I'm not sure what it is, but that's what people use based on what Freedo told me.

I honestly don't know though, because I never swear. The worst I'll do is post "WTF" in private conversations.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 8:09:20 AM
At 2/3/2013 7:56:49 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
That reminds me, don't suppose anybody will tell me the dark ritual that allows you to post swear words uncensored? I know you can get around it my saying fuckshitballsbuckets, but I've seen people say f-ck by itself.

There's an ASCII character that is basically a filler and doesn't leave a space between two characters. I'm not sure what it is, but that's what people use based on what Freedo told me.

I honestly don't know though, because I never swear. The worst I'll do is post "WTF" in private conversations.

I see. I'll have to work it out so I can surprise new members with my sorcery.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 2:25:12 PM
Swearing on the site is like "J-walking"... we discourage it and don't like that it happens, but it happens so frequently that its difficult to enforce. Members who do it constantly and get reported for it may be warned about it, but in general its not something enforced strictly.

Bypassing the curse filter is however enforced and if members do so they will be warned about it. Continuing violations of bypassing the curse filter may lead to penalties, so I'd recommend that members refrain from doing so.
Debate.org Moderator
Mutineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 2:47:34 PM
At 2/3/2013 2:25:12 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Swearing on the site is like "J-walking"... we discourage it and don't like that it happens, but it happens so frequently that its difficult to enforce. Members who do it constantly and get reported for it may be warned about it, but in general its not something enforced strictly.

Bypassing the curse filter is however enforced and if members do so they will be warned about it. Continuing violations of bypassing the curse filter may lead to penalties, so I'd recommend that members refrain from doing so.

This guy is fair.

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 2:49:21 PM
At 2/3/2013 2:25:12 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I'll be good. :D
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 3:28:37 PM
At 2/3/2013 2:44:43 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Airmax is a fair and practical President/Moderator, I support him 100%

I totally agree, Cody.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 3:34:51 PM
At 2/3/2013 3:28:37 PM, Oryus wrote:

I totally agree, Cody.

I support him 95%, blind loyalty is dangerous
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 3:46:04 PM
At 2/3/2013 3:34:51 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I totally agree, Cody.

lol
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Mutineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 3:51:04 PM

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 3:51:59 PM
That reminds me, don't suppose anybody will tell me the dark ritual that allows you to post swear words uncensored? I know you can get around it by saying I like turtles, but I've seen people say f-ck by itself.

well, nobody has told me the dark ritual that allows you to turn the homepage color pink, put flying words up, make a PM where there's no way to respond to it, so good day to you sir!
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 4:16:41 PM

I totally agree, Cody.

Now trust is another story. I trust airmax1227 100%.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 4:41:07 PM

By golly, I must take a stand against this minor detail in the TOS by continuing to curse because this issue is really important to me. You can censor it as much as you want though.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 4:48:05 PM
At 2/3/2013 4:41:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

By golly, I must take a stand against this minor detail in the TOS by continuing to curse because this issue is really important to me. You can censor it as much as you want though.

You also forgot to punctuate your bastardization.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 4:50:57 PM
virtue ethics > regulation spamming.

That's why.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 5:14:09 PM
At 2/3/2013 4:41:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

If it was so minor, you wouldn't have to censor it. :(

Guess the sacred realm of proper language, whose origins and pronouncements are as mysterious as God himself, wins again.