Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

DDO Holidays

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 6:13:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Many big social networking sites have special holidays (Newgrounds has "Clock Day," for example), so I think we should we have some, too. Here are my proposals:

January 5th -- Last Day -- A day to remember an age when Phil actually listened to us, it celebrates the day Phil created the "last page" button in the forums, just one hour, twenty-seven minutes, and forty-six seconds after it was requested[1]

February 8th -- DDC Day -- A day in which we honor the time when DDO was DDC[2]

March 3rd to March 10th -- Independence Week -- The week when The Horrible One was officially banned and when Phil assembled twelve members to discuss the future prospects of DDO[3][4]

April 11th -- A Dull Boy's Day -- Jack Ferreira's birthday[5]

April 17th -- The Eternal President's Birthday -- Selfexplanatory[6]

May 1st -- Crystal Day -- Crystal's birthday[7]

November 27th -- New Years -- When this site went out of BETA and was officially released[8]

Christmas Day -- DDO Awards -- When the DDO awards are handed out (I'll start it on the first of December)[9]

December 29th -- Cease and Desist Day -- The day Phil sent his first DDO-related cease-and-desist letter[10]

So what do y'all think? Any amendments or should we just ratify this baby?

---- References ----

[1] http://debatefans.com...
[2] http://debatefans.com...
[3] http://debatefans.com...
[4] http://debatefans.com...
[5] http://debatefans.com...
[6] http://debatefans.com...
[7] http://debatefans.com...
[8] http://debatefans.com...
[9] http://debatefans.com...
[10] http://debatefans.com...
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 7:48:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Sounds like fun. I am in avor of these:

February 8th -- DDC Day -- A day in which we honor the time when DDO was DDC[2]

March 3rd to March 10th -- Independence Week -- The week when The Horrible One was officially banned and when Phil assembled twelve members to discuss the future prospects of DDO[3][4]

November 27th -- New Years -- When this site went out of BETA and was officially released[8]

Christmas Day -- DDO Awards -- When the DDO awards are handed out (I'll start it on the first of December)[9]

December 29th -- Cease and Desist Day -- The day Phil sent his first DDO-related cease-and-desist letter[10]

I'd like to add:
January 10: DDO Presidential Election - Spring Semester Session.
May 10: DDO Presidential Election - Summer Session
September 10: DDO Presidential Election - Fall Semester Session
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 7:54:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Last Day, DDC Day, New Years, and DDO Awards are the only viable holidays imo. Independence Day and Cease and Desist Day are silly and there is no need for remembrance. The birthdays are even more ridiculous, who cares?
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 9:21:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 7:54:52 PM, Nags wrote:
Independence Week

'Tis very important to DDO history. Those who have had an account for 8+ months can remember.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 9:28:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 9:21:20 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/30/2009 7:54:52 PM, Nags wrote:
Independence Week

'Tis very important to DDO history. Those who have had an account for 8+ months can remember.

Seems more like you made a desperate attempt at grasping power in hectic times. I guess the actions by Phil are good, but your proposal is ridiculous - I find it perturbing that you want ever so badly to become a mod on this site. Remembrance of "Independence Week" only feeds your ego, which is unnecesarry.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 9:49:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 9:28:30 PM, Nags wrote:
At 10/30/2009 9:21:20 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 10/30/2009 7:54:52 PM, Nags wrote:
Independence Week

'Tis very important to DDO history. Those who have had an account for 8+ months can remember.

Seems more like you made a desperate attempt at grasping power in hectic times. I guess the actions by Phil are good, but your proposal is ridiculous - I find it perturbing that you want ever so badly to become a mod on this site. Remembrance of "Independence Week" only feeds your ego, which is unnecesarry.

I don't think you understand. For almost a year, there was a person who massively vote bombed people he didn't like. He was obsessed with the site; according to Phil, he owned 20% of all accounts on the site. Kleptin, for example, had a win ration of 0%. This evil person could assign hundreds of points within minutes. It was terrible. During this period, e-mail accounts were hacked. DDO accounts, too. 'Twas utter chaos. Independence Week was very substantial for DDO.

I don't know what you mean by, "you made a desperate attempt at grasping power in hectic times." I think DDO Holidays would be fun. That is my intention.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 10:05:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 9:49:20 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I don't think you understand. For almost a year, there was a person who massively vote bombed people he didn't like. He was obsessed with the site; according to Phil, he owned 20% of all accounts on the site. Kleptin, for example, had a win ration of 0%. This evil person could assign hundreds of points within minutes. It was terrible. During this period, e-mail accounts were hacked. DDO accounts, too. 'Twas utter chaos. Independence Week was very substantial for DDO.

I understand all the vote-bombing and such. Which is why I said good for Phil.

I don't know what you mean by, "you made a desperate attempt at grasping power in hectic times." I think DDO Holidays would be fun. That is my intention.

Yes, they would be fun, but not if used inappropriately. Like, for example, when people use DDO holidays as a vehicle to advance their personal self-interests. In this case, it is you - the proposal that you gave Phil makes it quite obvious. Also, you frequently hint towards user mods - with you as one of them. For the above reasons, I wouldn't make Independence Day a DDO Holiday.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 10:06:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 9:28:30 PM, Nags wrote:

Seems more like you made a desperate attempt at grasping power in hectic times. I guess the actions by Phil are good, but your proposal is ridiculous - I find it perturbing that you want ever so badly to become a mod on this site. Remembrance of "Independence Week" only feeds your ego, which is unnecesarry.

You are just picking on poor PoeJoe for no reason. The proposed 'Independence Day' has nothing whatsoever to do with his love for DDO. I really don't see how you make the connection. Besides, PoeJoe never pushed hard to become a mod. You just picked up something we used to lightly tease him and turned it into an aggressive attack.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 10:16:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 10:05:11 PM, Nags wrote:
Yes, they would be fun, but not if used inappropriately. Like, for example, when people use DDO holidays as a vehicle to advance their personal self-interests. In this case, it is you - the proposal that you gave Phil makes it quite obvious. Also, you frequently hint towards user mods - with you as one of them. For the above reasons, I wouldn't make Independence Day a DDO Holiday.

What do you mean by "the proposal"? If you mean the proposal here (http://debatefans.com...), do realize that the proposal was made by KRFournier. Notice the "written by KRFournier" at the bottom of the post. DebateFans was a collaborative effort.

Glad that misunderstanding is behind us. So, back on topic...

Which holidays should we keep? Which to add? And what to do on these holiays?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 10:25:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that PoeJoe has no alterior motives. I am fine with honoring Independence Day because of Phil's efforts. However, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around "commemorating" 12 members who a) wanted more power for themselves and b) didn't seem to accomplish much. We can commemorate Phil for his well-doings on this site, but I find it foolish to do the same for membors - it sets up a class system which is unfavorable. Also, it is definitely not necesarry to worship Phil and his family as deities by making their birthdays as DDO Holidays. The Cease and Desist Day is directly connected to PoeJoe, obviously has PoeJoe's personal self-interests, has no bearing on this site, did not change this site, and there is no reason for commemorating such a day. End.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 10:41:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 10:25:43 PM, Nags wrote:
Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that PoeJoe has no alterior motives. I am fine with honoring Independence Day because of Phil's efforts. However, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around "commemorating" 12 members who a) wanted more power for themselves and b) didn't seem to accomplish much. We can commemorate Phil for his well-doings on this site, but I find it foolish to do the same for membors - it sets up a class system which is unfavorable.

The 12 members didn't asked to be chosen--Fournier just chose them--though, I do understand your point about setting up a class system. I mentioned it, because it showed us a time when Phil actually gave a crap about us.

I actually somewhat agree, then. For that holiday, let's only celebrate Phil's efforts.

Also, it is definitely not necesarry to worship Phil and his family as deities by making their birthdays as DDO Holidays.

I wrote those three holidays slightly in jest, referencing North Korea and English idioms in the names. Before ruling them out, I'd like to hear the community's response. Phil's birthday may not be entirely out of the question. Give me any excuse to party is what I say! :D

The Cease and Desist Day is directly connected to PoeJoe, obviously has PoeJoe's personal self-interests, has no bearing on this site, did not change this site, and there is no reason for commemorating such a day. End.

Much of the animosity toward Phil has to do with his being a bully at times. Sending cease and desist letters is a huge part of this bully behavior. I'm certainly biased for this one, but, again, let's see what the community says.

I guess one point that goes against this one is that it is too close to the DDO awards and the Last Day. Hmmmmm... like I said, let's hear the community.

I've sent you a PM. Let's talk about this there.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 10:43:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Actually, it was the twelve member panel who not only brought attention to Phil the scope of josh's activity -- but we also suggested the response to it. Although we did have several other suggests that were not picked up, and a couple that were said to be picked up, but have sat unfinished since. I don't think anyone has suggested that those members deserve any privileged status, though.
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2009 8:17:44 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Man, I missed all the intrigue on this sight.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2009 8:18:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/31/2009 8:17:44 AM, ToastOfDestiny wrote:
Man, I missed all the intrigue on this site.

That was embarrassing.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...