Jump to topic:

BREAKING: New Debate Type

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:10:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
College. Some users (e.g. Raisor) don't debate anymore, because they're incredibly busy during the college week with classes, studying, work, clubs, and activities. I propose three variations of debate times that could be used to effectively remedy this problem, which will bring great debaters back to the site and allow great debaters to continue debating on the site well into their college and work years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Weekend Debates. The debate is activated Friday through Sunday with pauses Monday through Thursday. The weekend could be broken up into 36 hour chunks--> Instigator gets Friday through noon Saturday, Contender gets noon Saturday through Sunday. Or it could be broken into 48 hour chunks--> Instigator gets Friday through Saturday, Contender gets Sunday through Monday.

---or---

2. Custom Schedule. The debate can fit around your schedule. I have a light day on Monday and Friday, but Tuesday through Thursday are terrible; I have four classes T and Th, Two classes W, a club on both W and Th, and business meetings regularly scheduled on those days. Your schedule may be different. So instigator gets 24-48 hours of arguing time, but it only activates/runs during an opening in the schedule.

---or---

3. Long Rounds. 96-168 hours (4-7 days) per round, but the setting can only be used by certain Elo ratings and up (e.g. 2,600+).
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:13:38 PM
If you have suggestions, alterations, or tips, please feel free to share :)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:15:22 PM
Strongly agree.

I've been putting off doing debates because of college and work, though I did just accept one (I didn't think it would take up much time). A lot of others are in the same situation (as you mentioned). It would be great to allow people who want to debate, but can't, to be able to.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 11:27:48 PM
In principle, couldn't this be done by a series of one-round debates? (Obviously, one would have to trust their opponent to continue the subsequent rounds)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 12:01:04 AM
+1. (Although I'm rarely on on Saturdays) This is a good idea. Perhaps options should be granted to the debaters to extend their debate up till a reasonable time.

On a small cautionary note, the schedule format has many loopholes, one of which is that it allows one debater an inordinate amount of time to consider the opponent's arguments, thus creating better arguments than usual.
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 2:16:08 AM
I don't know about restricting long debates to certain ELO ratings (mine is sh!thouse due to so many forfeits), but I like these suggestions.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:32:59 PM
At 2/7/2013 10:10:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
College. Some users (e.g. Raisor) don't debate anymore, because they're incredibly busy during the college week with classes, studying, work, clubs, and activities. I propose three variations of debate times that could be used to effectively remedy this problem, which will bring great debaters back to the site and allow great debaters to continue debating on the site well into their college and work years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Weekend Debates. The debate is activated Friday through Sunday with pauses Monday through Thursday. The weekend could be broken up into 36 hour chunks--> Instigator gets Friday through noon Saturday, Contender gets noon Saturday through Sunday. Or it could be broken into 48 hour chunks--> Instigator gets Friday through Saturday, Contender gets Sunday through Monday.

---or---

3. Long Rounds. 96-168 hours (4-7 days) per round, but the setting can only be used by certain Elo ratings and up (e.g. 2,600+).

^ I like these two immensely, but can the minimum Elo rank for #3 be raised to at least 3000?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Krestoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:47:27 PM

---or---

2. Custom Schedule. The debate can fit around your schedule. I have a light day on Monday and Friday, but Tuesday through Thursday are terrible; I have four classes T and Th, Two classes W, a club on both W and Th, and business meetings regularly scheduled on those days. Your schedule may be different. So instigator gets 24-48 hours of arguing time, but it only activates/runs during an opening in the schedule.

---or---

Great idea, I had to forfeit a debate yesterday because of my college exams and have been playing with the idea of weekend debates.

I would caution however that under the #1 36/48 hour format that the second debater would be at a research disadvantage; the first debater potentially gets a week to research their arguments while the second gets a day or two. Not saying this would happen all of the time, but its something that can't be monitored.

I like the custom schedule setup most, it'd be the most flexible imo.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 2:30:28 PM
I like this, I always rush my debates WAY too much because of personal stuff.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 5:45:17 PM

---or---

---or---

Weekend Debates and Long Rounds +1
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2013 4:39:24 PM
At 2/8/2013 12:36:16 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
Great idea :)

Hi, beautiful :) Could you run these ideas past corporate?
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2013 6:34:55 PM

---or---

---or---

+1 I am certainly supporting this. Juggle, get to work!
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2013 6:58:21 PM
Im not in college anymore, but yes I would like this option.

I think this and allowing hyperlinks so sources do not count against your character count are the two things that would most improve this site. They also both happen to be pretty straightforward to implement.
baseballkid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2013 8:40:46 PM
This is why i do very few serious debates and pretty much only noobsnipe. Great suggestion.
"Its a dog eat dog world and I am wearing bacon pants."
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 12:24:44 AM

---or---

---or---

These are good ideas that should definitely be considered. The weekend idea is very interesting but I think needs some tweaking, seems like the instigator has quite a time advantage to respond.

One ideato add would be a 3 day period, but one that follows a strict time schedule. The debater types in their argument but doesn't submit it. Instead the system will automatically submit after 72 hours. This eliminates the undeniable urge to obsessively check and see if your opponent has responded, while guaranteeing that you will have 6 days between arguments. That would help students who fall behind on their study's because they put in time to research, only for their opponent to send a response a few hours later causing them to have to get right back at it. It also allows the debaters to plan their time accordingly which would likely result in less forfeits.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 3:21:33 PM
I think this is a great idea. It would definitely allow for me to debate even with college taking up a bunch of time.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 2:51:18 PM
At 2/9/2013 4:39:24 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Surely, dear. Can you PM me all of this info so I have it in one concise spot?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 12:53:37 AM
At 2/11/2013 2:51:18 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
At 2/9/2013 4:39:24 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Surely, dear. Can you PM me all of this info so I have it in one concise spot?

Sure thing