Jump to topic:

Debates I would like to see

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 4:20:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Now there are a lot of debates that I would like to see here on DDO, but personally would rather not participate in (reason being, I don't have that much knowledge with the topic and not that competent with debating itself).

Obviously no trolling or semantics with these debates.

Here's the list. Would love to see some of these debates happen:

1. There is a limit to the speed a human can sprint (disregarding humans running at speeds like 9999999999999km/h or something are ridiculous as that).

2. Single-sex schools V.S. Co-ed Schools (I know I've done this debate multiple times, but would like to see more competent debaters' viewpoints on the matter)

3. In a young heterosexual relationship (ages 15-25), who is more mature? (Boy v.s. Girl)

4. A teacher has a bigger factor is a student's educational successes/failures than the student them-self

5. After PSY's Gangnam Style, K-pop music (the entire genre of music) would become much more popular internationally.

6. It is worth putting in all your efforts to try and become a celebrity (regardless of success or failure) in any field (singer, sports star, etc.)

7. Famous singers receive their recognition due to their physical appearance more than their talent with their voice.

8. It is better to start heterosexual relationships from after high school (grade 12) onwards.

9. Better to live a life with no friends with money than a life with many friends with no money.

10. Obese passengers should be obliged to pay for two seats than one.

11. Worst form of torture (both sides will provide one form of torture and debate on why their choice is the worst/ most painful etc.). Personally, I would like to see someone talk about the forceful injection of powerful illicit drugs and dealing with the withdrawal symptoms after addiction.

12. Education should be made easier for students as it kills their creativity (as in it would be more beneficial to ease the education on students so it wouldn't kill their creativity. Get it? o.0 Hope I'm clear :/).

13. Most useful super-power for a human being to possess (not coolest, for example, mind-reading can help you determine who is a criminal, but would invade other people's privacy, making it not-so useful).

14. The school-dress code should only be used for special occasions

15. The school-dress code should be abolished

16. All sadistic people have had a harsh childhood (childhood with severe/detrimental violence)

17. It is viable to have a pet Rhino (Call me crazy, but I would love to see this debate) #Ilikerhinos

18. People who say "YOLO"/"SWAG"/"HASHTAG" on an extremely repetitive basis are, in general, stupid. (I do say it at random times, but not like once every hour like some people I know -____-)

19. Japan should continue using nuclear energy.

20. Best K-pop songs (PLEASE!) (5 rounds, first round acceptance only, one song per round, and description why it is good).

21. Out of all Asian pop music, Korean would be the best (BOP on PRO I guess)

22. Out of all Asian pop music, Japanese would be best (BOP on PRO I guess)

23. K-pop music is good (Seen a lot of people on DDO say it's bad, so yea... o.0 I'd bring shame to all K-pop fans if I lost a debate on this topic, so no to me)

24. Watching a video that you like with subtitles is a more suitable way to learn a new language than taking the classes (economically, efficiency)

25. Music composition battle

26. Drawing battle (Seen this happen before. One side will ask their opposition to draw something, with a very specific instructions on what it will be, and they must draw it, and vice versa).

27. Talent exists

28. Luck exists (apparently there are arguments saying that it doesn't? o.0)

29. Karma exists (The balance of good and bad, both within the world and within a person's life)

30. The universe is infinite space (not sure. Maybe this is already scientifically proven to be true or wrong)

Would love to see some of these debates happen here on DDO. Plus, it could also serve as new topics for most people, instead of debating the same topics over and over (like Abortion, Gay Marriage, Homosexual acts are immoral and god knows what...)

If anyone does do one of these debates, please give me a link and I will read it for sure.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 1:37:40 AM
My good friend, are you willing to debate any of these topics with a self professed competent debater?

Debates 2, 4, 9, 12 (really want to take this one), 14 , 15 and 19 all look interesting to me, if you want a contender. The italics are my favourite choices for want of time.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 1:40:55 AM
These are great topics. I would love to do them but I am already procrastinating on a debate I need to be accepting. Perhaps when I have time, I'll look for this thread to find good topics.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 3:23:43 AM
I'd do the one about the most useful superpower. Shocker, amirite? =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:11:12 PM
At 2/10/2013 4:20:32 AM, famer wrote:
Now there are a lot of debates that I would like to see here on DDO, but personally would rather not participate in (reason being, I don't have that much knowledge with the topic and not that competent with debating itself).

^ Thats where I stopped reading
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:12:51 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:11:12 PM, imabench wrote:

I'm back. Did you miss me? :D
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:14:06 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:12:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I'm back. Did you miss me? :D

Kinda :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:29:28 PM

Have a look at Topic #17.

I think you could troll the hell out of that one to be honest.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 7:03:42 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:45:17 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I will genuinely debate someone on #17. Anyone up for it?

I think 17 is a prime example of why "semantics" are inseparable from the essence of debate.

I think a lot depends on what the word "pet" means in that resolution, as well as "viable."

That being said, yes this is a solid list of debate topics.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 3:38:12 AM

This seems vastly more fun to argue as Pro than as Con. I get the feeling that if you think you can win as Pro you probably can, even though at first glance Con has a fairly obvious advantage. I can think of at least three arguments for Pro that should win unless Con asks for some less than obvious restrictions on how the resolution is to be interpreted. I absolutely agree with the point that this shows the importance of semantics: if we stick to the "spirit" of the resolution than the challenge isn't interesting, but the semantics themselves are not what the debate is about.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 4:25:19 AM
At 2/11/2013 7:54:36 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Would you be for pet Rhinos or against them?

Let's get this debate started :p
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 8:06:05 AM
At 2/11/2013 4:29:28 PM, famer wrote:

I read that someone in Africa had a lion as pet. I also happen to know that someone kept alligator as pet. So... Rhino... I guess it is not impossible.
Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 4:16:11 PM
I'd be COn on 12
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2013 10:02:57 PM
At 2/13/2013 8:06:05 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 2/11/2013 4:29:28 PM, famer wrote:

I read that someone in Africa had a lion as pet. I also happen to know that someone kept alligator as pet. So... Rhino... I guess it is not impossible.

I think you will find some challengers on this topic, just from what we can see from the comments already posted here, in this forum.