Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

OFFICIAL: "Opinions" Release Live Today!

Debate.org_Official
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 10:58:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Good morning, DDO!

Around noon Central time, we will be pushing out our latest (and greatest) updates to the Debate.org website.

The main focus of this release is the "Opinions" section of the website. When we launched this section last fall, many of you felt as though your "Opinion" arguments were "vanishing into thin air." Your responses were not tied to your profiles, you could not respond to others' comments, and there was little room for legitimate back-and-forth dialogue.

We heard you, and we have been working diligently these past few months to amend these issues.

When the release goes live this afternoon, you will experience an enhanced "Opinions" experience, which will be both more interactive and easier to use. You can view a preview of the new "Opinions" section here: http://d.pr...

Highlights include:

-"Opinion" responses are now tracked in the "Activity Statistics" and "News Feed" sections of member profiles, as well as the "What My Friends Are Doing" activity feeds on dashboards. This way, you can keep track of your own responses as well as see what "Opinions" your friends are responding to.

-You can now "like" as well as comment on other people's "Opinion" responses. This allows for greater back-and-forth dialogue and makes it easier to refute or rebut another member's arguments.

-You will now receive account notifications when someone "likes" or replies to one of your "Opinion" arguments, as well as when someone adds a new argument to a topic that you posted on.

-You can now submit your own "Opinion" topics, and include a corresponding image and a source URL for a related blog post or news story.

Other release items include:

-An updated "Elected Officials" page (http://debate.org...)

-Various bug fixes

Many of you have recently lamented that you do not have more time to participate in the long-form debates on this website. Hopefully, the "Opinions" section can now serve as a less time-consuming alternative for intelligent, back-and-forth debate.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us here or via PM.

If you experience any issues, please report them in the "OFFICIAL: DDO Bug Reporting" thread (http://debate.org...).

If you have any ideas on other ways to enhance this and other sections of the site, please post them in the "OFFICIAL: DDO ENHANCEMENT SUGGESTIONS" thread (http://debate.org...).

As always, thank you for your feedback, and happy debating!
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 12:00:41 PM
So many words, and none of them say "team debates".
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 12:04:52 PM
I was hoping for blackjack and hookers, but I suppose this will suffice. For now.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:17:55 PM
Really, the forums do what this does better anyway.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:24:24 PM
curious if anybody on DDO uses the opinions section.

I honestly think team debates on DDO probably wouldn't be used that often if it were created. Its sort of like what the hype was for having a history section, and hardly anybody uses the history section.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:29:52 PM
At 2/13/2013 2:24:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I honestly think team debates on DDO probably wouldn't be used that often if it were created. Its sort of like what the hype was for having a history section, and hardly anybody uses the history section.

Yeah I don't get the obsession for team debates. Why would I want to rely on someone to debate with? I'd never use that.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:28:59 PM
At 2/13/2013 2:29:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:24:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Yeah I don't get the obsession for team debates. Why would I want to rely on someone to debate with? I'd never use that.

Its pretty easy to implement w/out DDO creating a team debate setting. Just create an extra account where multiple people share and inform Airmax about it. Or just use the PMs and have one person represent. I think it would be incredibly difficult to discuss and come up with a Round debate that everyone agrees on in just three days. Especially considering that most of my debate rounds just consist of procrastinating until I only have a few hours left to post my round.

I suppose a good team can be created if it has the following attributes:
a) strong group cohesion. Everyone likes one another enough so that they will have little incentive to freeload.
b) strong group leader/captain that takes charge and organizes it so things get done. He/she makes the final calls for what the debate round is. Make sure that everyone plays an important role and utilized to their best ability. Make sure everyone's on track and so forth.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:32:21 PM
I think that you need to have a place where stuff can be reported in the opinions. I haven't checked yet, but can the mods delete and edit in those posts?
Debate.org_Official
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:27:00 AM
At 2/13/2013 3:32:21 PM, innomen wrote:
I think that you need to have a place where stuff can be reported in the opinions. I haven't checked yet, but can the mods delete and edit in those posts?

Hi, innomen!

Currently, we have some external moderation practices set up for the "Opinions" section, due to the high quantity of content that is submitted on a daily basis.

However, we will be refining the exposed moderation capabilities to be consistent with the rest of the site in an upcoming release.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions, please let us know!