Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Debate etiquette?

Krestoff
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 4:44:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
While there are some common sense unspoken rules for this community, I was hoping that someone would clarify the etiquette on this site. Specifically in the debate rounds themselves and in the comments. For example using old arguments, when & what should be commented on, dealing with forfeits of your opponent & yourself, etc.

Thanks in advance!
lannan13
Posts: 23,021
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 5:55:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/14/2013 4:44:46 AM, Krestoff wrote:
While there are some common sense unspoken rules for this community, I was hoping that someone would clarify the etiquette on this site. Specifically in the debate rounds themselves and in the comments. For example using old arguments, when & what should be commented on, dealing with forfeits of your opponent & yourself, etc.

Thanks in advance!

You can use old arguements, just don't say them word for word like the last time you did it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
famer
Posts: 679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 6:17:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/14/2013 5:55:29 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 2/14/2013 4:44:46 AM, Krestoff wrote:
While there are some common sense unspoken rules for this community, I was hoping that someone would clarify the etiquette on this site. Specifically in the debate rounds themselves and in the comments. For example using old arguments, when & what should be commented on, dealing with forfeits of your opponent & yourself, etc.

Thanks in advance!

You can use old arguements, just don't say them word for word like the last time you did it.

o.0

I thought you would have all the right in the world to use your own arguments again, word for word. I mean, it was your argument.

So long as it would be directly related to the topic of the debate, and isn't directly plagiarized from sources that don't belong to you.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Krestoff
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 7:58:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/14/2013 5:55:29 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 2/14/2013 4:44:46 AM, Krestoff wrote:
While there are some common sense unspoken rules for this community, I was hoping that someone would clarify the etiquette on this site. Specifically in the debate rounds themselves and in the comments. For example using old arguments, when & what should be commented on, dealing with forfeits of your opponent & yourself, etc.

Thanks in advance!

You can use old arguements, just don't say them word for word like the last time you did it.

What about arguments that were forfeited to?
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 3:29:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/14/2013 4:44:46 AM, Krestoff wrote:
While there are some common sense unspoken rules for this community, I was hoping that someone would clarify the etiquette on this site. Specifically in the debate rounds themselves and in the comments. For example using old arguments, when & what should be commented on, dealing with forfeits of your opponent & yourself, etc.

The comments section is strictly for comments. You should never post arguments, cite sources etc... unless both Pro and Con agree to it (if you post arguments no one will read them either way).

Copying and pasting old arguments are perfectly fine. But you should take into account any argument that was already refuted and adjust it accordingly. Of course if they are not yours that's a different story, but that's common sense.

If your opponent forfeits a round, just extend your argument and let the voters decide how to handle it.

Speak to the voters, not to your opponent. Refer to him/her as "Pro", "Con" or "my "opponent". It is not only more professional, but helps keep your arguments on track. It's a constant reminder that you need to explain your position thoroughly so the voters understand what you are talking about.

Always attack your opponents argument, never your opponent. That sounds like common sense but sometimes the difference is not quite so obvious.

It's good to thank your opponent for accepting the debate etc... but no need for it every round, it gets kind of annoying. IMHO once in the beginning and once in the end is more then enough.

Never wait to make an argument. It will be viewed as a sneaky tactic intended so your opponent will not have enough time to adequately respond. And never make a new argument in the last round for the same reasons.

Avoid argument spamming, which is where one makes so many different contentions that their opponent will not have enough space to refute anything. A few strong contentions always outweighs many unsubstantiated ones.

Take a look at the introduction forum posts in yellow. They give a lot of good advice as well. In fact they probably say all the same stuff I just did but oh well, so you'll here it twice.