Jump to topic:

I have a question.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 1:50:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you prepare in advance for a debate? Do you amass information and source material before you enter into a debate, or initiate one? Or do you just jump in head first with a resolution and work it out as best you can during the debate?

I'd like to debate again, but my time is not always so open to it, but I'm thinking of doing the prep ahead of time so that I just have to type it all in. However, that is depending on an assumption that the debate will go as I think it will go.

I know that there are some who have specialized in debates where you will debate the same subject with variations, and different opponents, do you collect your source material and just keep a file on it?

Just wondering
Connoisseur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:10:34 PM
I'm a jump in kinda guy who does my research as and when is needed.

However, on the subject of philosophy and politics I am already quite beastly in my depth of knowledge that further research is fairly required for a win.
This is a concoction of poetic rhyme,
This is a signature, written in good time,
If beauty were criminal this would be a crime,
Thank you for reading this poem of mine.
Connoisseur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:11:16 PM
At 2/14/2013 2:10:34 PM, Connoisseur wrote:
I'm a jump in kinda guy who does my research as and when is needed.

However, on the subject of philosophy and politics I am already quite beastly in my depth of knowledge that further research is rarely required for a win.

fixed
This is a concoction of poetic rhyme,
This is a signature, written in good time,
If beauty were criminal this would be a crime,
Thank you for reading this poem of mine.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:16:31 PM
At 2/14/2013 1:50:12 PM, innomen wrote:
Do you prepare in advance for a debate? Do you amass information and source material before you enter into a debate, or initiate one? Or do you just jump in head first with a resolution and work it out as best you can during the debate?

Definitely the second one ;D

I'd like to debate again, but my time is not always so open to it, but I'm thinking of doing the prep ahead of time so that I just have to type it all in. However, that is depending on an assumption that the debate will go as I think it will go.

Spoiler: They never go according to plan. The screwier the resolution the screwier it can turn out.

I know that there are some who have specialized in debates where you will debate the same subject with variations, and different opponents, do you collect your source material and just keep a file on it?

Im not that kinda debater who debates the same thing over and over and over again. Somebody get 16kadams in here, this is right up his alley.

Just wondering
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:18:53 PM
At 2/14/2013 2:16:31 PM, imabench wrote:

Definitely the second one ;D

Spoiler: They never go according to plan. The screwier the resolution the screwier it can turn out.

Says the master of screwy resolutions :-)

Im not that kinda debater who debates the same thing over and over and over again. Somebody get 16kadams in here, this is right up his alley.

Just wondering
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:20:28 PM
I just jump in, but that's made easier by the fact that I tend to accept and instigate resolutions I am already familiar with. I wouldn't have time to research, anyway; I'm always afraid that someone else will grab the debate before I do.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:22:24 PM
At 2/14/2013 2:20:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I just jump in, but that's made easier by the fact that I tend to accept and instigate resolutions I am already familiar with. I wouldn't have time to research, anyway; I'm always afraid that someone else will grab the debate before I do.

I would think there would be a definite advantage to prepping it.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:27:25 PM
At 2/14/2013 2:22:24 PM, innomen wrote:

There absolutely is, if you've got the time. I've been caught off guard many times.
- lamerde

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:28:42 PM
At 2/14/2013 2:27:25 PM, Maikuru wrote:

There absolutely is, if you've got the time. I've been caught off guard many times.

Yea, you've only won 40 out of 40 of your debates.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:32:00 PM
I'm inclined to believe that debating skills are more valuable then actual knowledge. At the very least, knowing general concepts is probably more important then just looking up a bunch of sources and you never really know when the general concepts you learn will become useful. So having a strong background is better then prepping.
Open borders debate:
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:32:23 PM
At 2/14/2013 2:28:42 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/14/2013 2:27:25 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Yea, you've only won 40 out of 40 of your debates.

The surprise is usually temporary.
- lamerde

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 3:17:15 PM

If the goal is winning the debate, then yes, prep time and familiarity with the material is IMHO absolutely essential.

If the goal is to encourage a dialectic discussion, then it really doesn't matter. However, I think the forums are better suited for any discussion, including those that involve diametrically opposed positions. Only after discussion still results in the same positions, and only if one desires to "beat out" the other guy for whatever reason, would I consider a debate.

If the goal is to hone debating skills, I'm not sure this website actually advances this goal. There are apparently many types and formats of formal debates, and this website doesn't really encourage any of them.

In this sense, I've almost completely gravitated to the forums.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 4:28:53 PM
For me it depends on the topic. Any science related topic, especially genetics, I doubt I need to research it any more than I already have, although I generally do a quick search for references, which is easy if you know what you're looking for. (No, I don't save references, although it does occur to me that I use them over and again. :P)

For other topics, I don't usually accept unless it's noob-snipe or I have been directly challenged to the topic. I usually have to read up quite a bit if it is not science or politics.
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 4:30:45 PM
I just play it all by ear, do research on the spot. REspond to arguments as I see them.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 5:53:01 PM
I think ideally it would be best if research is done beforehand. I try to do this but have never actually succeeded thanks to being the biggest procrastinator that ever lived. Usually, I do research between the debate rounds and usually only when it is my turn and the timer starts ticking. I've decided though that I won't accept any debate in the future without having a round 1 argument ready.
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 5:57:57 PM
I tend to just jump in with the resolution and write whatever comes up from the top of my head.

Whenever I try to plan for a debate, I always change my idea with the arguments that I end up using during the debate, either:

1. I just feel like it
2. My opponent responded differently to the way I expect him/her to respond.

Plus, it's a lot easier that way :p (for me that is)
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 7:02:56 PM

Just wondering

I'm definitely the prep in advance type. It's one of the drawbacks of being cautious - I just never take the plunge into a debate where I'd have to do lots of research during the debate. I also very rarely debate outside my comfort zone, which again is so I'm relatively clear on roughly which direction the debate could go. I'm bad enough procrastinating over posts without adding research time into the mix.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 7:05:31 PM
I just go as the debate progresses.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 7:32:33 PM
I make sure I have a general idea of what I'm going to argue, and that there are sources out there that will support it. But I usually don't write anything beforehand unless I'm the instigator.

Basically, a small amount.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 7:57:34 PM
I like to go in knowing nothing, gets the adrenaline rushing when there is just an hour left till deadline and you're just starting to do research.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 8:13:45 PM
At 2/14/2013 7:57:34 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I like to go in knowing nothing, gets the adrenaline rushing when there is just an hour left till deadline and you're just starting to do research.

Lol. F-16, your procrastination skills have just been outmatched.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 3:04:19 AM
I try to avoid fact based topics because research takes too long and in the end it's just not worthwhile. I prefer more philosophical topics where my logic is challenged. No matter what the topic is, there is always someone writing an opinion page about it. If I am not familiar with a topic I will normally Google and skim a few of them just to see what the general arguments for both sides are. If I am still comfortable with my position then I will accept and take it from there.